Codeguy

• ^ This man does not exist ^
--------
< - This man does not exist.

Codeguy

Re: Bono Rolling Stone Interview
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 02:57:32 PM »
Friendly warning: Bonos language and the subject matter would get you banned at a certain "other" u2 fan site ...... snowflakes shouldn't read this article

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
--------

The Exile

• The public enemy don't mean shit to Chuck D.
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 03:13:53 PM »
As much as I am enjoying the new album, this interview gives me no comfort as to U2's future. On top of Bono's going on and on about how great the very worst songs from SOE are, there's stuff like this:

How does the rest of the band feel about the new songs?

I would say that Edge seems like someone who wants to be in the band more than ever. Certainly more focused on it as a whole. I think the past two albums have reminded him that U2's strengths Ė above atmospherics and innovation and all that stuff that he loves Ė are big melodies and clear thoughts. That's where we came in. The verse melody in "The Best Thing" was a return to form from him.

Ugh. I happen to like the atmospherics and innovation, but Bono seems to treat that stuff as a given and radio-friendly melodies as the true goal.
Listen as Hope and Peace try to rhyme,
Listen over marching bands playing out their time.

Codeguy

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 03:19:30 PM »
Yeah that worried me too. SOE is at its worst when it tries to be radio friendly. Honestly bono sometimes sounds like he thinks radio is the medium of the future when itís actually a relic. Itís the very definition of not relevant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
--------

The Exile

• The public enemy don't mean shit to Chuck D.
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 03:23:57 PM »
Yeah that worried me too. SOE is at its worst when it tries to be radio friendly. Honestly bono sometimes sounds like he thinks radio is the medium of the future when itís actually a relic. Itís the very definition of not relevant

Haha, next he'll be hoping that Carson calls him to the couch after their next Tonight Show gig. Sorry, little American reference there....
Listen as Hope and Peace try to rhyme,
Listen over marching bands playing out their time.

Talltrees

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2017, 03:26:01 PM »
As exile quoted, there is no mention of quitting. Thank Goodness!!

I'm a simple girl. I just want new U2 songs for the next 20 (hah!) Years or as long as they want to put out music. There are lovely melodies on SoE, of course people will disagree on which tunes they like best

davis

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2017, 03:45:57 PM »
What an outstanding, in depth interview.  Thanks for posting this. 

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 03:48:11 PM »

That being said, and it's arguable to a certain point Codeguy, I did find all is comments regarding streaming, online music services, what are the options for artists, etc, very interesting.

All and all, a very good interview, IMHO.
First Chair. Last Call.

Kmama07

• She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 03:54:47 PM »

I agree with all of this. However, I would change "SOE" to "U2"
Hey, hey, sha la la

MysteriousFly

• I believe in powers that be.....won't overpower me
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 05:37:08 PM »
Good interview....though if U2 decides to take the streaming approach to recording new albums, their work may suffer more going forward. Just make a great record guys and don't worry about turning on a new audience, they'll find you eventually. The industry is in transition and will be for a while yet. The radio friendly approach has already been tried and it usually waters down bands even more. 
I love Rock N' Roll...so I booked a room at the heartbreak hotel and there, the music plays on and on.

davis

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 05:58:13 PM »
Isn't it a little bit funny that we all (myself included) think we know better than our hero who has been one of the most important and successful artists in contemporary music history? 

I don't think he is saying what some of you think he is saying here, exactly.  He is simply talking about reaching audiences today and not wanting to be just a legacy act.  Anything wrong with that?  Plus, I happen to agree with him that the verse melody on The Best Thing is pretty great, though I know I'll lose some respect for saying so. :)

The Edges Cat

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2017, 06:27:44 PM »
Bono's talking about the verse melody of Best Thing, not the chorus or any other part of the song. I agree with him, U2 are known for their big melodies and TJT tour reminded them of that. The chorus of Best Thing is mainstream sugar and too sweet for my tastes, but I really love the melody of the verses.

"Just play another chord if you feel you're getting bored." Maybe Edge needs to write songs like Best Thing so we can get the more innovative, atmospheric tunes.
The Edge: ď[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ĎYou know what? Weíre not going to second-guess any of this. Letís just go for it.íĒ

U2 Fans: We'd all love to see that, Edge.

DoYouFeelLoved

• Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 07:02:57 PM »

"Just play another chord if you feel you're getting bored." Maybe Edge needs to write songs like Best Thing so we can get the more innovative, atmospheric tunes.
I donít think thatís the case. From Bonoís statements, I seems like that pushing forward is where Edge naturally gravitates towards, but heís not allowed to cause Bono wants the pop tunes... Thatís, at least, the impression I got...

JTNash

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2017, 07:21:02 PM »
So he had extreme chest pain he was trying to ignore it was comming and going The he finally went to the ER and they took his gallbladder out am I right?
Plant a demon seed raise a flower of fire

JTNash

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2017, 07:22:12 PM »
Radio is dying part of my job deals with it and we have seen radio money drying up
Plant a demon seed raise a flower of fire