This music sucks vs. I don't like this music

• 25 Replies

davis

« on: December 17, 2017, 02:30:22 PM »
I'm wondering what others think about this distinction? 

My feeling is that most of us, most of the time, (including many "professional" critics) mistake the latter for the former. 

I would argue that works of art can be demonstrated to have (or to lack) specific inherent value, that they can be compared to one another based on such value, and that not personally responding to the values in a given work of art doesn't mean the work is crap. 

A personal example.  The Joshua Tree is demonstrably the greater artistic achievement than The Unforgettable Fire (I don't think I need to enumerate why).  Nonetheless, I find myself replaying TUF far more often than TJT for a number of personal reasons. 

Another example: many an unwilling student can be heard to mutter "Shakespeare sucks!" in English class.  Again, that's a demonstrably false statement and just makes the individual who utters it look the fool.  Of course, it's perfectly acceptable to say "I don't like reading Shakespeare," but one shouldn't mistake one's inclinations for the worth of the work. 

mariamontreal

Re: This music sucks vs. I don't like this music
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 02:35:15 PM »
Not sure how to comment on that I am just a tad confused. Are you saying you don't like SOE?
She moves in mysterious ways

davis

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 02:42:23 PM »
Not sure how to comment on that I am just a tad confused. Are you saying you don't like SOE?

Ha.  No.  I actually love SOE.  Am asking a more general question.

mariamontreal

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 02:47:58 PM »
Gotcha! I love the new album can't wait to hear it live in Montreal.
She moves in mysterious ways

guest4

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 04:45:17 PM »
Hmmmm. Interesting question. I don't like opera, but it probably doesn't really suck. And, I like country music, except for some of that really whiney-crap - that sucks! So, yeah, there's a definite distinction.

Pride

• The dream is over
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 12:16:31 AM »
For some reason, I could never get into "Your Nashville Sneakers" by The Guess Who. I love pretty much every other song by them, even the other songs on the album YNS was on (which is my least favorite album by The Guess Who). It's not a bad song either, I just can't get into it. Sort of the Love Rescue Me of their catalog, though there are several U2 songs I like less than LRM.
In the drift we've come, in the drift we go

ShadowMac

• The artist formerly known as tigerfan41
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 12:22:53 AM »
I think you're onto something. As much as professional reviewers attempt to be unbiased, their personal "tastes" do cloud their judgment of an album. They can't be objective toward music that they aren't a fan of (specific genres). I see this all the time with my nieces. Both are huge rock music fans and are, unfortunately, very very narrow minded in what they like. They're dismissive of other genres even if these other genres do have great artists/albums. I'm the opposite. The older I get, the more openminded I am toward other genres, to the point where even if a specific album isn't my cup of tea (music-wise) I can look past that and judge it more broadly. Do I love rap music? No, but I can see why people fawn over an album like "Graduation" by Kanye West. Am I a huge alternative music fan? Not exactly, but I get why people think Radiohead have made some incredible music. And so on.

Tafkab

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 12:44:20 AM »
Good discussion. I've always hated this in the context  of live reviews.

I read a review of One Direction  once. It was a gig I'd shot so I was interested.

Review was basically. 'they're crap their music is crap, show was rubbish.'

But ask anyone who went and it was probably the best night of their life. Dumb review

Fresno Dave

• "You wanted violins, but you got Nero"
    • Holy Heteroclite
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 11:17:58 PM »
I did a cheesy video on this topics several years ago, which features some U2 references , some teasing of Christian music, and some cassettes of artists you may or should know .
"The Gaithers on Crack "
Watch it, you know you want to :
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-u2UmH5qfZc
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-u2UmH5qfZc
-dave

guest94

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 09:47:03 AM »
You can appreciate the skill of an artist without necessarily liking their output. I think Quentin Tarantino is an amazing director but I don't care for the movies he puts out. Christina Aguilera has an incredible voice but I've never cared for the music she makes. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean it's bad, just like enjoying something doesn't make it good.

I don't mind GOYB. Is it a good song lyrically and musically? Probably not, yet I can enjoy it in spite of its flaws.

ShadowMac

• The artist formerly known as tigerfan41
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 12:21:02 PM »
You can appreciate the skill of an artist without necessarily liking their output. I think Quentin Tarantino is an amazing director but I don't care for the movies he puts out. Christina Aguilera has an incredible voice but I've never cared for the music she makes. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean it's bad, just like enjoying something doesn't make it good.

Yes this exactly.

Waffles

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 04:59:55 PM »
If you don't like something, then you simply don't like it. Which in your humble opinion, "sucks". It sucks for you.

DoYouFeelLoved

• Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 05:41:10 PM »
I strongly believe there’s a clear distinction.

Every true music listener should have respect and be able to recognize the intrinsic value, even if they don’t like the artist/album/song in question.

For example: I don’t like Pink Floyd. They do nothing for me. But I would never dare to say that they suck, just because I don’t dig their music. I can see the artistry behind their work.

I personally avoid discussing about music with someone that lacks this preconception.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 05:42:56 PM by DoYouFeelLoved »

davis

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 05:42:58 PM »
If you don't like something, then you simply don't like it. Which in your humble opinion, "sucks". It sucks for you.

Agreed Waffles, though there is a world of difference between "this sucks" and "this sucks for me."

b-mata

• I'm already gone, felt that way all along.
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 05:52:54 PM »
I completely agree that there is a distinction.  I know nothing of music theory or composition or as Bono has put it, the "faith" it takes to move from one note to the other.  I'm not musical in the least.  My feelings toward music is probably best summed up by the Joker from the old Batman movie:  "I dunno if it's art, but I like it."

I could listen to two different songs... one of which is perfectly composed and mixed and meets all the "technical" requirements of music that doesn't "suck" and one that is four kids banging something out in their garage miss hitting chords and making it up as they go and in the end it would simply come down to whether or not it spoke to me and I was moved one way or the other.

As to the actual quality of the music of either song I would be terribly ill equipped to judge.