Noel Gallagher on U2

• 9 Replies

Zoo adam

Noel Gallagher on U2
« on: April 05, 2024, 03:43:54 AM »
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGemSNjKV/

Didn't know he was queing up at midnight in Manchester. He didn't say whether that was for TJT or R & H.

Seems the world and his wife were out at midnight for these releases. Elvis Costello was queing up in London.

Always knew he liked U2. They wouldn't have supported them in 97 otherwise.

Seemed he liked ZooTV so surprising Oasis played exactly the same show for 15 years. Although I did hear a rumour Liam moved away from his microphone once.

Codeguy

• (He, His, Him, Romeo not Juliette, that fucker)
Re: Noel Gallagher on U2
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2024, 04:07:04 PM »

Didn't know he was queing up at midnight in Manchester. He didn't say whether that was for TJT or R & H.

Seems the world and his wife were out at midnight for these releases. Elvis Costello was queing up in London.

Seemed he liked ZooTV so surprising Oasis played exactly the same show for 15 years. Although I did hear a rumour Liam moved away from his microphone once.

Liam hated U2, but he has made a career out of fake-hate so who knows?

Noel was the talented one.
-------

Too tall to be a despot

Zoo adam

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2024, 09:03:52 PM »
Only ever read Liam claiming that U2 watched there own live performances to try to improve. Saying Oasis would never do that. That was years after they supported U2 in America. 

Only thing I remember regarding the simultaneous 98 release compliations was that whatever happened they would still be friends afterwards. Different to the Oasis/Blur battle.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 06:12:36 AM by Zoo adam »

dan

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2024, 03:43:55 PM »
I heard a story from Noel that they were considered hellraisers at the time, but when they met Bono and the boys for a drinking session, he got absolutely wrecked, and the U2 guys were puzzled as   it was just a normal drinking session for them.
A great story if true.

This Dave

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2024, 06:10:20 PM »
I heard a story from Noel that they were considered hellraisers at the time, but when they met Bono and the boys for a drinking session, he got absolutely wrecked, and the U2 guys were puzzled as   it was just a normal drinking session for them.
A great story if true.

There’s a reason why Adam went from the oldest looking member of U2 to the youngest.

This Dave

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2024, 06:14:19 PM »

Liam hated U2, but he has made a career out of fake-hate so who knows?

Noel was the talented one.

Yeah I don’t think Liam actually hates them; just more of his “I’m the most amazing thing ever and everyone else sucks” shtick. But we all know he’d pick Bono’s talent and career over his own. Problem is, if you want to be at Bono’s level, you can’t do things like sit in the audience and make your band perform without you because you’re a toddler.

Zoo adam

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2024, 11:47:12 AM »
A great story if true.

Seem to remember Bono boasting that he had put them both in a taxi, paid the taxi man in advance & sent them on there way. As Liam & Noel were so wrecked.

Zoo adam

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2024, 11:48:41 AM »
A pity U2 didn't follow up the record breaking release of TJT with a 20 date residency at Wembley Stadium.

Even in 2024 people would be saying 'wow'.

Codeguy

• (He, His, Him, Romeo not Juliette, that fucker)
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2024, 01:54:22 PM »
A great story if true.

There’s a reason why Adam went from the oldest looking member of U2 to the youngest.

Noel tells a version of this story where they started drinking at noon and went on till the we hours, and Bono and Noel had to take a flight next morning from Dublin to Paris, Noel was whacked, Bono left him at the airport and said we'd meet up later he had a thing to do. Noel dragged himself to the hotel room, only to turn on the TV and see a perfectly sober looking Bono at the Elysee palace addressing the G7 with the President of France by his side.
-------

Too tall to be a despot

This Dave

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2024, 02:12:47 PM »
A great story if true.

Noel tells a version of this story where they started drinking at noon and went on till the we hours, and Bono and Noel had to take a flight next morning from Dublin to Paris, Noel was whacked, Bono left him at the airport and said we'd meet up later he had a thing to do. Noel dragged himself to the hotel room, only to turn on the TV and see a perfectly sober looking Bono at the Elysee palace addressing the G7 with the President of France by his side.

I think it’s fair to say that living such a way caught up to Bono pretty hard.