U2 on 2017's 'Swing to Extremism' and Why Unity Is As Important As Resistance

• 91 Replies

Codeguy

• (He, His, Him, Romeo not Juliette, that fucker)
I’m seeing comments that maybe there’s a hint of a possible ZooTV heritage tour coming and quoting this article but I don’t see anything in the article referencing that at all? Am I missing something ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-------

Too tall to be a despot

shineinthesummernight

Interesting article.   "There is no them, only us..."  I'm not sure this has the ring of truth to it, but it's a nice thought in its way.

ShadowMac

• The artist formerly known as tigerfan41
I’m seeing comments that maybe there’s a hint of a possible ZooTV heritage tour coming and quoting this article but I don’t see anything in the article referencing that at all? Am I missing something ?

Who made that comment? I didn't get that impression either, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did. It would give them 2-3 years break and they could, again, tour something that is guaranteed to be a smash success.

Aviastar

From the article second to last paragraph: "Perhaps U2 circles the year 2020 on its calendar and takes All That You Can’t Leave Behind out on the road at its two-decade mark."

No.  Just no.  We don't need any more Elevation or BD for a long time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hold on, people! The man's talking about waste management. That affects the whole damn planet.

73October

• Dream out loud
From the article second to last paragraph: "Perhaps U2 circles the year 2020 on its calendar and takes All That You Can’t Leave Behind out on the road at its two-decade mark."

Elevation?  20 year tour?  What's an tha to say on the matter?
One love, One blood, One life;
You got to do what you should.
One life; With each other
Sisters, Brothers
One life; But we're not the same
We get to carry each other, Carry each other

The Exile

• The public enemy don't mean shit to Chuck D.

Is it me or has U2 been celebrating ATYCLB pretty much non-stop since they released it? I mean, they keep re-issuing Beautiful Day under different titles, FFS. #GOOYOW #Invisible
Listen as Hope and Peace try to rhyme,
Listen over marching bands playing out their time.

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....

Elevation?  20 year tour?  What's an tha to say on the matter?

Awful song, deeply mediocre album, good tour.

Don't want to see them drag it out again JT30 style though.
©️1972

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
Didn't care much for the article.  Don't need a run-down of the SNL performance.  I'm a little tired of the band thinking they know what is best for the UK and the US and thinking that they speak for them.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 03:57:03 PM by Shank Asu »

guest94

‘There’s no them, there’s only us,’” says Bono. “It’s very easy to split into political parties and demonize the other view. These are times for standing up for what you believe in, for sure. It might also be a time to try and understand what the person standing next to you is saying, rather than just trying to knock them out because they’re offensive to you.”

And yet isn't that exactly what the band has been doing for the past year and a half? They've made it pretty clear they hate Republicans and I highly doubt they're interested in having open dialogue with conservatives and libertarians. Which is it, Bono: do you see everyone united or are you still convinced your view is the only true one? You can't have it both ways.

shineinthesummernight

It is a gross misrepresentation to say that Bono hates Republicans.  He's actually friends with George Bush Jr. and John Kasich.

guest87

It is a gross misrepresentation to say that Bono hates Republicans.  He's actually friends with George Bush Jr. and John Kasich.

Bono's 'friends' with thousands of famous and/or powerful people around the world.  Bono dines at Davos, and he doesn't dine alone.

guest87

‘There’s no them, there’s only us,’” says Bono. “It’s very easy to split into political parties and demonize the other view. These are times for standing up for what you believe in, for sure. It might also be a time to try and understand what the person standing next to you is saying, rather than just trying to knock them out because they’re offensive to you.”

And yet isn't that exactly what the band has been doing for the past year and a half? They've made it pretty clear they hate Republicans and I highly doubt they're interested in having open dialogue with conservatives and libertarians. Which is it, Bono: do you see everyone united or are you still convinced your view is the only true one? You can't have it both ways.

It's just talk.  We can all come out with the kind of stuff Bono's come out with for the past twenty years or whatever, but we all know the score, whatever side we're on.  For myself, I've always tried to think how people around me think by mentally putting myself in their position.  It's what Vito Corleone teaches his son, Michael, as mentioned in G2.

Codeguy

• (He, His, Him, Romeo not Juliette, that fucker)

Bono hates republicans? Huh? I saw U2 in Miami a few months back and he told the audience how appreciative he was of Marco Rubio. He toured Africa with Jessie helms. He worked with George Bush and thanked him graciously for his donations to causes supported by the ONE campaign.

Bono has made it clear he hates Donald Trump. Not republicans

-------

Too tall to be a despot

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating

Bono hates republicans? Huh? I saw U2 in Miami a few months back and he told the audience how appreciative he was of Marco Rubio. He toured Africa with Jessie helms. He worked with George Bush and thanked him graciously for his donations to causes supported by the ONE campaign.

Bono has made it clear he hates Donald Trump. Not republicans

yeah, i'll agree with this.  i'm a republican and i don't like Trump much either.