Stereogum interview

• 17 Replies

Codeguy

• (He, His, Him, Romeo not Juliette, that fucker)

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
Re: Stereogum interview
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 03:13:50 AM »
"Sci-fi Sinatra"

:) :) :)
©️1972

mariamontreal

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 09:40:18 AM »
Good article.
She moves in mysterious ways

73October

• Dream out loud
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 01:14:34 PM »
A good read.  U2 want to be what we want them to be, what they want them to be and what the world moves them to be.  Unless something awful happens, they probably ain't going away soon. Excellent news!
One love, One blood, One life;
You got to do what you should.
One life; With each other
Sisters, Brothers
One life; But we're not the same
We get to carry each other, Carry each other

b-mata

• I'm already gone, felt that way all along.
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 05:40:30 PM »
Good interview.  I have really enjoyed the "aged" insight that the guys are giving more and more in these various interviews.  I know it has been emphasized in a myriad of media outlet (perhaps even over-emphasized), but, 40 years in and still being together as originaly incarnated, U2 truly are walking on new ground with every step they take and are having to invent as they go.

That’s the big question going forward, for a band with all the baggage U2 has. There are many different versions of U2 — perhaps the real way you achieve universality — which means there are in turn many different versions of the band that they themselves, and their fans, might want to hear. “I’ve had people talk to me about what they think is or is not authentically U2. They’re often in violent disagreement with each other and I like that and I’ve had those conversations for 40 years,” Bono says.

There’s something else Bono says that sums it up, all the different angles that go into crafting a U2 album today, all the different perspectives of fans across generations and across the planet. “We’re the U2 you want us to be,” he says. “And, it has to be said, often the U2 you don’t want us to be.”

I like knowing that U2 are aware, in one fashion or another, of the ongoing fan debate of "What are U2?" and maybe even coming to terms with the fact that no one, not even the band themselves, know the answer.

Most of the time I'm completely happy with just knowing there IS a U2 and these interviews and the news surrounding this latest release have been a bit of a reminder of how that won't always be and how sad I will be when these four "lads from Dublin" take their last bow.

mariamontreal

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 05:54:16 PM »
They are opening up a lot lately and giving people a deeper understanding of who they are .I enjoy their openness and honesty and exposing their feelings to us.Nice to know they are still enjoying making and playing music.

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 05:57:25 PM »
Regardless of whether you think the quality is there these days it is hard to argue that they aren't up for it...

Quickest turnaround from one album to the next in 20 years or so.
©️1972

b-mata

• I'm already gone, felt that way all along.
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 06:08:37 PM »
Regardless of whether you think the quality is there these days it is hard to argue that they aren't up for it...

Agreed!

Codeguy

• (He, His, Him, Romeo not Juliette, that fucker)
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 07:13:56 PM »

They could produce another album in 2019 if they stick to eno/flood/lanois/Lillywhite and forget about having hits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-------

Too tall to be a despot

guest87

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 07:37:27 PM »
The end is nigh. 

The Edges Cat

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 07:48:43 PM »
“I’ve had people talk to me about what they think is or is not authentically U2. They’re often in violent disagreement with each other and I like that and I’ve had those conversations for 40 years,” Bono says.

Bono reads the fan forums! lol

“We’re the U2 you want us to be,” he says. “And, it has to be said, often the U2 you don’t want us to be.”

Sums it up. ;)
The Edge: “[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ‘You know what? We’re not going to second-guess any of this. Let’s just go for it.’”

U2 Fans: We'd all love to see that, Edge.

guest20

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 08:10:20 PM »

They could produce another album in 2019 if they stick to eno/flood/lanois/Lillywhite and forget about having hits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They could produce another album in three months if they wanted to. Just stick to one producer and one musical direction. Ignore what's going on in the pop music scene because it does not pertain to you. Stop overthinking your music and inhibiting your creativity.

I am convinced that U2 could bang out one of its best albums of all-time if created under these circumstances.

guest87

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 08:24:13 PM »
A wholly new album would take at least a year to produce part-time, even going at their recent rate of clip.

mariamontreal

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 08:34:42 PM »
“I’ve had people talk to me about what they think is or is not authentically U2. They’re often in violent disagreement with each other and I like that and I’ve had those conversations for 40 years,” Bono says.

Bono reads the fan forums! lol

“We’re the U2 you want us to be,” he says. “And, it has to be said, often the U2 you don’t want us to be.”

Sums it up. ;)
They seem to be listening to what people are saying to some extent

shineinthesummernight

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 09:17:46 PM »
Ha, maybe Bono's lurking on this very forum or is even....one of us!!! :o