Four year countdown to The Beatles wobbling to U2's challenge:

• 36 Replies

Zoo adam

1983:

NYD released. Enters the UK top 10.

War is released. Knocks 'Thriller' off number 1.

Fans of NYD & War start to check out Boy, October & live performances. Fan base increases.

1984:

UABRS album & video released. Highlighting U2's powerful live performances.

TUF is released to critical acclaim & big sales. More hit singles follow.

TUF video released.

TUF tour commences.

1985:

TUF tour builds momentum. Milton Keynes, Madison Square Gardens & Croke Park added. Wembley Stadium available but U2 do not want to steal Sir Bob's thunder.

Thousands of U2 fans attend Live Aid. U2 steal the show.

1986:

U2 asked to headline Amnesty International.

1987:

U2 announce Wembley Stadium before TJT is released.

Premiere of WOWY on The Tube TV programme.

Thousands of fans queue outside record shops at midnight for TJT. The first time this has happened.

TJT instantly hailed as album of the decade.

WOWY goes to number 1 in America.

Huge world tour announced.

April 87 - September 87.

The Beatles start to wobble.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 02:27:56 PM by Zoo adam »

Codeguy

• (He, His, Him, Romeo not Juliette, that fucker)
Re: Four year countdown to The Beatles wobbling to U2's challenge:
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2023, 05:50:29 PM »
1983:

Fans of NYD & War start to check out Boy, October & live performances. Fan base increases.

1984:

TUF video released.

TUF tour commences.

1985:

TUF tour builds momentum. Milton Keynes, Madison Square Gardens & Croke Park added. Wembley Stadium available but U2 do not want to steal Sir Bob's thunder.

1986:

1987:

Thousands of fans queue outside record shops at midnight for TJT. The first time this has happened.

April 87 - September 87.

I actually think the success of the Joshua tree was a huge problem for the bands creativity, because the media started to compare them to the Beatles. Especially when they were featured on the front cover of time magazine, some thing which hadnít happened for any rock band for 20 years. They were unable to meet that expectation, and they were ripe for a fall. Sure enough, rattle and hum, brought them back down to earth with a bang. thankfully, they ignored the critics and didnít go small. They went so huge that they reinvented themselves and produced their best music in the 90s. But the Beatles comparisons drove them to the edge of extinction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
-------

Too tall to be a despot

wons

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2023, 06:17:33 PM »
1983:

1984:

TUF video released.

TUF tour commences.

1985:

1986:

1987:

April 87 - September 87.

I actually think the success of the Joshua tree was a huge problem for the bands creativity, because the media started to compare them to the Beatles. Especially when they were featured on the front cover of time magazine, some thing which hadnít happened for any rock band for 20 years. They were unable to meet that expectation, and they were ripe for a fall. Sure enough, rattle and hum, brought them back down to earth with a bang. thankfully, they ignored the critics and didnít go small. They went so huge that they reinvented themselves and produced their best music in the 90s. But the Beatles comparisons drove them to the edge of extinction.

Perhaps with music critics writing for various music magazines, but not the general public, casual U2 fans, or U2's hardcore fanbase. Rattle And Hum sold over 15 million copies worldwide(5 million of that in the United States alone) from its late 1988 release through 1995. One of the largest selling albums of all time worldwide.

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2023, 06:24:25 PM »
Lot's of artists have a really big breakthrough album and then find the follow up to it even though it is shit sells enormous amounts off the hype created from the previous album and the ubiquity they now have.

I remember Everything Must Go being the big mainstream breakthrough in the uk for the manics - the follow up This is my truth, tell me yours - sold like hotcakes and was hyped to fuck - it was shit.

Be Here Now is another more high profile example - it probably sold more than half of its copies based on what's the story ...
Since 1995.....

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2023, 06:31:55 PM »
Lot's of artists have a really big breakthrough album and then find the follow up to it even though it is shit sells enormous amounts off the hype created from the previous album and the ubiquity they now have.

I remember Everything Must Go being the big mainstream breakthrough in the uk for the manics - the follow up This is my truth, tell me yours - sold like hotcakes and was hyped to fuck - it was shit.

Be Here Now is another more high profile example - it probably sold more than half of its copies based on what's the story ...
It's much easier to have a great debut album as opposed to a sophomore album.  bands have been working on their first album their entire lives and the follow-up is on a deadline.
As for Be Here Now, Noel blames the drugs.  Others say it was the death of Diana immediately after its release. I love it even if the songs are too long.  But you just don't like Oasis so not sure why this album would be any different for you than any of their others.

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2023, 06:36:26 PM »

It's much easier to have a great debut album as opposed to a sophomore album.  bands have been working on their first album their entire lives and the follow-up is on a deadline.
As for Be Here Now, Noel blames the drugs.  Others say it was the death of Diana immediately after its release. I love it even if the songs are too long.  But you just don't like Oasis so not sure why this album would be any different for you than any of their others.

Well for starters be here now was not a spohomore album - it was their 3rd...

I used it as an example though because it is a high profile band with a high profile example of an album that sold bucket loads but was rubbish (and certainly the critical mass called it so) after a breakthrough album.

I find oasis utter shite - but felt they were a good example here in illustrating my point.

Since 1995.....

Zoo adam

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2023, 06:43:42 PM »
1983:

1984:

TUF video released.

TUF tour commences.

1985:

1986:

1987:

April 87 - September 87.

Perhaps with music critics writing for various music magazines, but not the general public, casual U2 fans, or U2's hardcore fanbase. Rattle And Hum sold over 15 million copies worldwide(5 million of that in the United States alone) from its late 1988 release through 1995. One of the largest selling albums of all time worldwide.

U2 were still big with
R &H. However the album & film did not get critical acclaim.

To make The Beatles wobble they needed both the hugeness & critical acclaim.

Which is why I chose the April 87 - Sept 87 period. Huge tour, hit singles, huge selling album, critical acclaim of TJT & their back catalogue.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 07:03:41 PM by Zoo adam »

Zoo adam

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2023, 07:02:16 PM »
If U2 had just focused on an Americana studio album for R&H & shelved the film/live tracks idea, it may have resulted in a top quality single album.

This could have kept U2 challenging The Beatles. Espescially if released in 1988.

Amor fati

• Under the white horses
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2023, 07:18:09 PM »
U2 Rumored to celebrate 35th Anniversary of 'Rattle & Hum' with Residency at Graceland

Codeguy

• (He, His, Him, Romeo not Juliette, that fucker)
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2023, 08:40:47 PM »
If U2 had just focused on an Americana studio album for R&H & shelved the film/live tracks idea, it may have resulted in a top quality single album.

This could have kept U2 challenging The Beatles. Especially if released in 1988.

puke.
-------

Too tall to be a despot

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2023, 10:46:43 PM »
The Beatles wobble? Kinda ridiculous way to look at things. The Beatles had been inactive since 1970 and John Lennon was dead. No one in or connected to the Beatles would have cared. U2 were a huge band in 80's. The Beatles were a phenomenon.
Talk U2 2023 Awards

WINNER - THE ADAM CLAYTON WHO WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON A BENDER WITH AWARD

WINNER - THE DAVID LEE ROTH BEST USE OF A MEME/GIF AWARD

SaveBrendanFraser77

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2023, 01:51:27 AM »

Monster by REM fits this as well.
ÖÖ.Except Monster is actually a great album that got unfair amount of backlash because it didnít sound like the last two.
But it did sell a ton of copies directly because of Out of Time and Automatic for the People.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zoo adam

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2023, 01:54:05 AM »
Oasis had a 6 month period where they were compared to The Beatles. Late 95 - mid 96.

This was just in England & they were doing most of the comparing!

Be Here Now needed to be a classic. But wasn't.

Be Here Now got good early reviews. Believe the media wanted to keep 'Brit Pop' & the Oasis candle burning. But intial excitement quickly died down.

Melon

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2023, 05:22:17 AM »
Oasis had a 6 month period where they were compared to The Beatles. Late 95 - mid 96.

Be Here Now got good early reviews. Believe the media wanted to keep 'Brit Pop' & the Oasis candle burning. But intial excitement quickly died down.

I dont agree with this weird consensus that Be Here Now is a bad album. It has amazing songs. The fact that they are way too long and overproduced does not take away the qualities that they do have. Also I find it weird that people judge albums retroactively like every album has to be a universal classic. Be Here Now might not have aged that well due to the production issues but when I was a teenager and it came out it was fucking amazing. I find that Oasis songs perhaps more than any other bands are youth-anthems.

Zoo adam

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2023, 07:15:50 AM »

I dont agree with this weird consensus that Be Here Now is a bad album. It has amazing songs. The fact that they are way too long and overproduced does not take away the qualities that they do have. Also I find it weird that people judge albums retroactively like every album has to be a universal classic. Be Here Now might not have aged that well due to the production issues but when I was a teenager and it came out it was fucking amazing. I find that Oasis songs perhaps more than any other bands are youth-anthems.

Have only heard the singles.

DYKWIM & SBM were fine but not as good as previous singles.

ARTW was a bit weak. But at least it wasn't over 9 minutes long as the album version was.