Why are U2 your band?

• 29 Replies

Delta Sun

• Everything you know is wrong
Why are U2 your band?
« on: December 09, 2017, 12:50:39 PM »

The hook was the music ... the yearning of I still haven't found what I'm looking for ... but lots of bands have great music. So why else?

Transcendence ... the ability of the band to take you out of yourself into a different dimension
Spirituality ... being open about their faith and tackling those themes (mostly) subtly
Brotherhood ... there's something great about this story of 4 mates from school getting to where they have
Politics / a sense of moral purpose ... whatever I feel about their politics it's great that they use their celebrity for the wider good

So why are U2 your band?

shineinthesummernight

Re: Why are U2 your band?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 02:54:04 PM »
Bono is actually a spiritual leader for me, so that's one reason.  Beyond that, though, their music was a revelation when I first heard it in '83 and it still is.  It literally woke me up to the possibilities of the world around me--the political realities, the potential for community, the dream of a kingdom based on peace and love, etc.  They are an epic band whose musical ideals and way of being in the world inspire me while also providing a great deal of fun and joy along the way.

guest20

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 03:41:15 PM »
They've made some pretty terrific music, simply. U2 is the greatest band of all-time when at its best.

I love to see this band experiment and have fun with their music. That string of records in the 90s is untouchable. U2's ability to incorporate new playing techniques and genre stylizations into their songs is what keeps me coming back.

Waffles

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 05:16:04 PM »
What other band would there be?

73October

• Dream out loud
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 11:50:00 AM »
The spirituality
The melodic music
The amazing live shows (very hard to beat)
The way the band are friends and their other friends (some from school days) and family are so dear and that the fans can get a glimpse into this and in a way be a little part of it
The longevity
The inspiration to do something for those that need something
The Irishness.  No they are not from London, New York or anywhere else.  Because they are from Dublin, it sets them apart as they had prove themselves more because there was less of a proven music scene/culture
The pure joy from being a part of the U2 movement
One love, One blood, One life;
You got to do what you should.
One life; With each other
Sisters, Brothers
One life; But we're not the same
We get to carry each other, Carry each other

guest4

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 12:02:17 PM »
Their music, very simply, saved my life a long time ago.

Their music was the thread that kept me hanging on.

guest87

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 03:21:11 PM »
'cos I'm a Realfan.

mariamontreal

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 03:43:13 PM »
I guess we all have our reasons .I certainly do.
She moves in mysterious ways

Aviastar

• Hey, now...do you know my name?
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 04:57:59 PM »
I was the only 10 year old kid who just loved watching Rattle and Hum the movie while all my friends were into Terminator, Robocop, whatever was cool for kids our age between 1989 and 1991.

They were just larger than life for me at that age.  I loved their music, I loved their style, I just wanted to be them.  I didn't give a shit what the other kids thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My U2 Top 10: The Unforgettable Fire, Acrobat, New Year's Day, Gloria, The Fly, A Sort of Homecoming, Where The Streets Have No Name, Bad, Ultra Violet (Light My Way), Drowning Man

guest4

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 05:01:49 PM »
I was the only 10 year old kid who just loved watching Rattle and Hum the movie while all my friends were into Terminator, Robocop, whatever was cool for kids our age between 1989 and 1991.

They were just larger than life for me at that age.  I loved their music, I loved their style, I just wanted to be them.  I didn't give a shit what the other kids thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"I didn't give a shit what the other kids thought."
And, that's what makes you a true fan!

sashlon

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 02:11:12 AM »
Their music.

Faith. And the willingness to talk about it.

Brotherhood.

Bono.

Politics.

Courage.

Their defiant joy.

Being confrontational. Making people uncomfortable.

Gravitas.

Honesty.

Humility.

U2 is always apart from the mainstream.

Let the past die. kill it if you have to.

guest94

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 10:47:39 AM »
I'm not sure they're "my band" anymore. Over the past couple of years something has shifted that's left me feeling more like an outsider than a treasured part of their history. For me the initial draw was the cinematic sound and genuine emotion and faith of the band. Hearing The Joshua Tree for the first time really excited me.

guest4

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 12:19:47 PM »
I'd like to add this: there are not many things in life that give me joy anymore. U2 music brings me joy every single day.
Every. Single. Day.

redrunningred

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 01:29:03 PM »
It was sometime in September 2014. I was bored as hell, I think I was in school, so I turned my phones airplane mode on to see what music I could listen to without needing the schools wifi. I noticed an album cover that looked weird, with some dude hugging some other dudeís legs. I hadnít read about the release of SOI. I saw U2 as the artist, and I recognized them from the songs of theirs played on classic rock radio that my dad plays in his car. To I listened to the full album. It fucking blew me away. The awesome guitars in the first song drew me in, and the whole album resonated with me. After listening to it, I listened through their entire discography, and here I am.
Don't sit at the table
Until you're able to

guest4

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 01:31:47 PM »
It was sometime in September 2014. I was bored as hell, I think I was in school, so I turned my phones airplane mode on to see what music I could listen to without needing the schools wifi. I noticed an album cover that looked weird, with some dude hugging some other dudeís legs. I hadnít read about the release of SOI. I saw U2 as the artist, and I recognized them from the songs of theirs played on classic rock radio that my dad plays in his car. To I listened to the full album. It fucking blew me away. The awesome guitars in the first song drew me in, and the whole album resonated with me. After listening to it, I listened through their entire discography, and here I am.
A personal question...don't answer if you don't want to...how old are you? I only ask because you are so new to U2...