Songs of Surrender: A U2 Album or an Edge Solo Album?

• 44 Replies

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
Songs of Surrender: A U2 Album or an Edge Solo Album?
« on: March 21, 2023, 12:27:23 PM »
This is something that has been on my mind and the reviewer sums it up:

Although this release is being marketed as a U2 record, itís truly an Edge solo project that he invited Bono to sing on. Drummer Larry Mullen Jr. and bassist Adam Clayton are on the cover and credited on each track, but itís been made clear that Adam just recorded a bunch of basslines and left it to Edge to sort through and take what he wanted, while Larryís participation mostly came via old tape scraps from previous sessions.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/u2-songs-of-surrender/

Does it bug anyone that Songs of Surrender is labeled a U2 album even though Adam and Larry were barely involved and it seems Bono just came in to do the vocals? It's clearly an Edge project with him doing all the arrangements, much of the playing, and also producing.
Talk U2 2023 Awards

WINNER - THE ADAM CLAYTON WHO WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON A BENDER WITH AWARD

WINNER - THE DAVID LEE ROTH BEST USE OF A MEME/GIF AWARD

The Exile

• The public enemy don't mean shit to Chuck D.
Re: Songs of Surrender: A U2 Album or an Edge Solo Album?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 12:30:37 PM »
I see your point. I just wish it were marketed as a lockdown project or given away as a fanclub gift. It bums me out that this is considered the 15th official U2 album.
Listen as Hope and Peace try to rhyme,
Listen over marching bands playing out their time.

Larry Lovebucket

• Because Iím worth it.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2023, 12:39:03 PM »
Well, put it this way, it seems very odd that those who argue OS1 ISN'T a U2 record consider a record featuring just half the band as being so.

Personally, I couldn't care less how it was marketed. It's terrible. No more or less terrible than bomb or SOI or ahimsa or that football song or the shaving debacle or half of ATYCLB and MOS, however. I'll never listen to those again and I'll never listen to SOS again.

©2024

Alphane

• Romans 6:23
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2023, 12:43:04 PM »
It definitely feels like a Bono and Edge project. After waiting five years this is the best they could do, and two of the members barely show up. It's just a strange project.

Achtung Baby

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 12:48:22 PM »
I see your point. I just wish it were marketed as a lockdown project or given away as a fanclub gift. It bums me out that this is considered the 15th official U2 album.

Is it?  I can't bring myself to consider Songs Of Surrender an official album due to the lack of anything (entirely) new on it.  I view this as something closer to a U218 or Best Of (a compilation...with songs arranged differently).
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 12:51:39 PM by Achtung Baby »
We Get To Carry Each Other

Larry Lovebucket

• Because Iím worth it.
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 12:51:54 PM »
Actually, forget what I said. Its WORSE than any of those. Here's why:

Ahimsa, Shave and the football song are at least funny
Bomb has sometimes on it
NLOTH has MOS, Cedars and the title track
ATYCLB has Kite

These are worthy additions.
©2024

laoghaire

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2023, 01:03:11 PM »
I see the argument for it being The Edge (feat. Bono) but I would still see it as a Bedge project.

But, no, not U2.

Iím FINE with the odd song on an album not including all four members; only half of U2 were on 4th of July and Iíve got no problem with that whatsoever. But you know the other guys were in the room, or at least just stepped out for a sandwich when they recorded that.

SOS is totally and utterly devoid of input from Adam and Larry, even if they submitted work to it (which Iím not even convinced of) - based on the two songs I heard.

Larry Lovebucket

• Because Iím worth it.
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2023, 01:30:03 PM »
I see the argument for it being The Edge (feat. Bono) but I would still see it as a Bedge project.

But, no, not U2.

Iím FINE with the odd song on an album not including all four members; only half of U2 were on 4th of July and Iíve got no problem with that whatsoever. But you know the other guys were in the room, or at least just stepped out for a sandwich when they recorded that.

SOS is totally and utterly devoid of input from Adam and Larry, even if they submitted work to it (which Iím not even convinced of) - based on the two songs I heard.

Would it be appropriate to listen to more than 2 of the 40 songs, before arriving at such a conclusion?
©2024

So Cruel

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2023, 01:36:12 PM »

But, no, not U2.

Would it be appropriate to listen to more than 2 of the 40 songs, before arriving at such a conclusion?

I've listened to it in full and there are some nice moments on it, but for me it's basically the Edge with guest vocals from Bono. I agree with Exile and said it myself a few times, this should have been a U2.com gift. It should never be a part of their official album catalog.
Talk U2 2023 Awards

Zoo adam

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2023, 01:44:37 PM »
It's a U2 album. Unlike other U2 albums, Edge is the driving force.

Bono sings on most of the songs. Adam did his bit. Larry or a session drummer did what they were asked.

The original songs were made by U2. So can't really call it -'Edge, Songs of Surrender'. 

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2023, 02:11:32 PM »

Is it?  I can't bring myself to consider Songs Of Surrender an official album due to the lack of anything (entirely) new on it.  I view this as something closer to a U218 or Best Of (a compilation...with songs arranged differently).

Same.

I view this as a compilation album.

Not the 15th album.
First Chair. Last Call.
©1966-2024
Presented by Vandelay Industries.
Management: Pendant Publishing.
All rights reserved.
Void where prohibited.
The information contained in this site is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, and usefulness.
Your mileage may vary.

So Cruel

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2023, 02:12:51 PM »

Bono sings on most of the songs. Adam did his bit. Larry or a session drummer did what they were asked.

The original songs were made by U2. So can't really call it -'Edge, Songs of Surrender'.

I agree you canít call it ďEdge - Songs of SurrenderĒ. But itís not really a U2 album either. You have guest musicians like Declan Gafney and Duncan Stewart who probably contributed more than Larry and Adam.

I just find it hard to view this as a U2 album when 2 of the guys were barely involved and Bono wasnít heavily involved either. I think it should have been a fan club release and never given ďofficialĒ album status.
Talk U2 2023 Awards

So Cruel

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2023, 02:14:35 PM »

Same.

Not the 15th album.

Unfortunately though it will show as an official U2 album. In-between Songs of Experience and Songs of AC/DC
Talk U2 2023 Awards

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2023, 02:20:07 PM »

Same.

Not the 15th album.

Unfortunately though it will show as an official U2 album. In-between Songs of Experience and Songs of AC/DC

Maybe. Although the people who write the wiki page on U2ís discography created a different category for SOS

First Chair. Last Call.
©1966-2024
Presented by Vandelay Industries.
Management: Pendant Publishing.
All rights reserved.
Void where prohibited.
The information contained in this site is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, and usefulness.
Your mileage may vary.

Zoo adam

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2023, 02:30:23 PM »

I agree you canít call it ďEdge - Songs of SurrenderĒ. But itís not really a U2 album either. You have guest musicians like Declan Gafney and Duncan Stewart who probably contributed more than Larry and Adam.

I just find it hard to view this as a U2 album when 2 of the guys were barely involved and Bono wasnít heavily involved either. I think it should have been a fan club release and never given ďofficialĒ album status.

U2 often have musicians & singers.

Bono sang on most songs. I'm sure he wasn't a quiet little lamb in the studio.