Edge - Rolling Stone interview

• 27 Replies

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
Edge - Rolling Stone interview
« on: March 06, 2023, 09:58:28 AM »
« You did box sets for The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, and All That You Can’t Leave Behind. There’s a large segment of the U2 fan base with a real interest in Pop. Might there be a box set one day that revisits that era?

There are albums that seem to have a resurgence when people come to them again fresh. That album Pop is an album that, at the time … I think in the context in which it was released and the big, huge tour we did, there was a lot of focus and stress on it at the time. But now with a little bit of distance, the album is actually holding up very well. I would love to see something happen to celebrate it. That’s the fun of working on a U2 project. If there’s a repackaging or re-release, there’s so much material that never saw the light of day. So yeah. At the right time, I can see that happening. »

That made my day…

Other comment that I found interesting, as I’m quite enjoying SOS so far, is the fact that they gave up on U2 gimmicks for those recordings : hymns, delay guitar…

But I’m not buying into his « fans first » mantra. I know better…

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/u2-new-album-las-vegas-achtung-baby-1234689183/?fbclid=IwAR2RUqxP50hHtRwEWmgg_yluzZdYMeE-MAXD0sU2VviogBnOmJpePf4lpT0
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

Amor fati

• Under the white horses
Re: Edge - Rolling Stone interview
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2023, 10:32:07 AM »
"there’s so much material that never saw the light of day. So yeah. At the right time, I can see that happening"

Hamman

• Big Bobby Baggins
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2023, 11:31:43 AM »

Alphane

• Romans 6:23
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2023, 11:32:37 AM »
I'm doubtful it will ever happen, but a Pop reissue would be awesome. Aside from that it's a lot of the same talking-points: they have a ton of new material, they're excited about Vegas, etc.

Tumbling Dice

• Dice Dice Baby
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2023, 11:34:40 AM »
I bet the cupboard's bare.  The vast majority of their best work probably has already been released and what's left in the vaults is probably mediocre and substandard for the most part.   
You Lost the League at Goodison Park

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2023, 11:37:18 AM »
I bet the cupboard's bare.  The vast majority of their best work probably has already been released and what's left in the vaults is probably mediocre and substandard for the most part.

Like Everton.
Since 1995.....

Tumbling Dice

• Dice Dice Baby
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2023, 11:42:18 AM »

Like Everton.

A couple of burglars break into the Anfield trophy room and one says to the other "there's fuck all worth robbing in here, let's take a look in the kitchen".

You Lost the League at Goodison Park

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2023, 11:45:11 AM »
Surprised nobody posted the Hong Kong tapes yet…
First Chair. Last Call.
©1966-2024
Presented by Vandelay Industries.
Management: Pendant Publishing.
All rights reserved.
Void where prohibited.
The information contained in this site is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, and usefulness.
Your mileage may vary.

laoghaire

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2023, 11:48:16 AM »

Best use of this gif I’ve seen.

HONG KONG MIXES FUCK YEAH

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2023, 01:24:32 PM »
I'm doubtful it will ever happen, but a Pop reissue would be awesome. Aside from that it's a lot of the same talking-points: they have a ton of new material, they're excited about Vegas, etc.
Same questions, same talking points.

I mean it’s the 3rd of 4th Zoom interview within a week, you’re bound to hear the same narrative. At least we know more about the SOS recording process.

Every interview is supposed to hit 1 targeted audience, not morons like us who read every single one of them

laoghaire

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2023, 01:32:25 PM »
I dunno but either way I’m sure we’ll be disappointed.

kango

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2023, 01:33:03 PM »
Re: Pop: I don’t know if each of the band members has files on their computers of everything recorded.  The band probably has many assistants that go into the “vaults” of each album to dig around for stuff and then they report to the band.  Edge’s answer doesn’t sound fully informed beyond maybe his memory of recording the album.  “I would love to see something happen with it” is so far from it actually happening but maybe those assistants will read the interview and start digging around the vaults. Does anybody know where all of U2’s recorded work is kept?  Is there an actual vault?

On a memory card glued to Edge's scalp, hence the beanie.
Another Time, Another Forum

The Exile

• The public enemy don't mean shit to Chuck D.
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2023, 01:33:10 PM »
I dunno but either way I’m sure we’ll be disappointed.

Spoken like a true U2 fan.  ;D
Listen as Hope and Peace try to rhyme,
Listen over marching bands playing out their time.

laoghaire

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2023, 01:42:20 PM »
It feels great, Exile.

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2023, 02:31:58 PM »
Re: Pop: I don’t know if each of the band members has files on their computers of everything recorded.  The band probably has many assistants that go into the “vaults” of each album to dig around for stuff and then they report to the band.  Edge’s answer doesn’t sound fully informed beyond maybe his memory of recording the album.  “I would love to see something happen with it” is so far from it actually happening but maybe those assistants will read the interview and start digging around the vaults. Does anybody know where all of U2’s recorded work is kept?  Is there an actual vault?
By all accounts, Edge is the band’s archivist. He has the demo tapes and all that stuff.