Other Artists Who Released Acoustic/Reworked Version Albums Of Their Songs?

• 8 Replies

jick

With U2's Songs of Surrender being imminent, it seems the band is just using a tried and tested template that other artists have done in the past.  I can think of a few artists off the top of my head who released full albums with reworked studio (not live/unplugged) versions of their old songs.

Bon Jovi - This Left Feels Right
Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill Acoustic (10 years after)
Sting - My Songs
Mike Peters - Acoustic Works (acoustic version of The Alarm songs)

Anyone else to add to this list?

Cheers,

J

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
Other Artists Who Released Acoustic/Reworked Version Albums Of Their Songs?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 03:13:36 AM »
Peter Gabriel - New Blood

Not live, not unplugged but orchestral.
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
Let it Be Naked could be included here, IMHO.

Not a reimagined release per se, but still very different from the original album.
First Chair. Last Call.
©1966-2024
Presented by Vandelay Industries.
Management: Pendant Publishing.
All rights reserved.
Void where prohibited.
The information contained in this site is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, and usefulness.
Your mileage may vary.

imaginary friend

• you will have many friends when you need them
Yeah, MTV had a series where artists did this. They called it Unplugged. Since I'm, on that subject, I read an interview with the guy who was the show's producer back around the time when Nirvana was filming their episode. He gave his wishlist of who he wanted to get and said that all 3 of them turned him down. They were:

The Grateful Dead
U2
Van Halen

find a station anywhere   http://radio.garden/listen/magic-fm/82GNMn3f

add some fun to your life while learning about music:   https://codepen.io/jakealbaugh/full/qNrZyw

THRILLHO

Alanis did the entire JLP album acoustic for it's 10 year anniversary.

Not a reimagined release per se, but still very different from the original album.

have you heard the Glyn John mix of LIB that came out with the box set? the "original" way it was going to be released? diff songs, tracklisting, no wall of sound etc. it's not as good as LIB Naked but it's a close second.

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
Alanis did the entire JLP album acoustic for it's 10 year anniversary.

have you heard the Glyn John mix of LIB that came out with the box set? the "original" way it was going to be released? diff songs, tracklisting, no wall of sound etc. it's not as good as LIB Naked but it's a close second.

Yes, I have listened to it once. Itís good, but I prefer the Naked treatment.
First Chair. Last Call.
©1966-2024
Presented by Vandelay Industries.
Management: Pendant Publishing.
All rights reserved.
Void where prohibited.
The information contained in this site is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, and usefulness.
Your mileage may vary.

Loyal Deserter

• In a room full of martyrs, who gets the credit?
a-ha did an acoustic version of Take On Me a few years ago which is quite good.  It might be what U2 had in mind when doing this, very similar vibe to what they seem to be going for.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 01:14:31 AM by SwimmingSorrows »

Alphane

• Romans 6:23
I think the The Cranberries did it at some point.

It's not that uncommon, but at this point we're so starved for new U2 that anything less than a new album just doesn't satisfy.

THRILLHO

heres one that just dawned on me today.

Freddie Mercury's second solo album, Barcelona. A special edition of the album was released on 3 September 2012. It features a new version of the album with the previous instrumental tracks replaced with new, live symphonic orchestration and percussion rather than synthesizers and drum machines. The new edition also has a new unique album cover.