Pride:

• 18 Replies

Zoo adam

Pride:
« on: January 12, 2023, 10:13:57 AM »

Zoo adam

Re: Pride:
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 10:22:38 AM »
First 10 seconds automatically said 'I don't like it'. Mainly because I have been used to the original for the last 39 years.

But after a couple of listens, I like it.

If they have revamped 40 songs, could be in for a treat.

imaginary friend

• you will have many friends when you need them
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2023, 03:25:52 PM »
Listening to it now. Feels weird to even be saying this, but this has quite the Ocean Rain vibe. It wouldn't have been out of place on that album, and that's something I never, ever, thought I'd say.
find a station anywhere   http://radio.garden/listen/magic-fm/82GNMn3f

add some fun to your life while learning about music:   https://codepen.io/jakealbaugh/full/qNrZyw

Zoo adam

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 03:50:35 PM »
Over 30 of the tracks for SOS I like. The originals.

Some of there biggest & best songs on it.

They wouldn't go into the studio & release something to tarnish their reputaions & such great songs.

They are treating it as a new album & putting in as much effort as before. Only difference is they already had written songs.

After listening to Pride I have faith it will be a fascinating, exciting, disappointing & fufilling journey.

Zoo adam

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2023, 03:57:20 PM »
Can guess how 'Every Breaking Wave' will sound.

Assume the fast songs will be slowed down.

There are some slow songs such as WOWY, 40, AIWIY. Will these be speeded up?

Zoo adam

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2023, 04:18:29 PM »
Edge said the songs on SOS were originally recorded mainly with concerts in mind.

With the 4 original members still there & some of the songs over 40 years old, they feel they have the right & desire to record new versions. They are different people now.

Zoo adam

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2023, 04:25:05 PM »
Was SOS recorded or partially recorded during lockdown? A lot of songs.

People may say it's been recorded as U2 cannot create good new material anymore. We will see when 'Songs of Ascent' is released.

laoghaire

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2023, 04:56:55 PM »
They wouldn't go into the studio & release something to tarnish their reputaions & such great songs.

I wish that were true. But Bono has stomped the barricade and is headed for the sea.

Zoo adam

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2023, 05:10:02 PM »

I wish that were true. But Bono has stomped the barricade and is headed for the sea.

Edge said after reading a NY Times review of Z -

'That's f---ing brilliant. I can't believe people would think we would waste an album. I mean waste a whole album'.

----------

Mind you that was in 93.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 05:47:50 PM by Zoo adam »

Amor fati

• Under the white horses
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2023, 05:18:47 PM »
I said in a different thread that i like the song.  I have probably listened to it 5 times now and there is something about it.  Yes i realize it is a different take on a classic,  iconic song.  I get the sense of an alt country song here which is something i can appreciate. 

On my first listen i was prepared to hate this song based on the output over the past few years (ahisma,  your song...,  we are the people...,  etc.).  This song is none of that.  I can appreciate that this can coexist along with the original Pride as a companion and not a replacement.  I hope to hear more with this treatment and can honestly say i look forward to SOS. 

WOW  :o

Zoo adam

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2023, 05:28:58 PM »
At least there won't be a Boots or Yahwah.

They won't ruin these much loved songs.
People may prefer the originals or vice versa. But as stand alone songs the new versions will find their ways into peoples hearts.

Zoo adam

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2023, 05:42:11 PM »
As a fan it's a no lose situation -

40 songs.

A fresh approach to  songs that are 6-43 years old.

Originals I don't like there is a good chance I will prefer the new version.

Songs I love I might like the new version just as much.

Songs I love, if the new version is half as good I may still like it.

New versions I don't like I still have the original. 

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2023, 05:48:22 PM »
I said in a different thread that i like the song.  I have probably listened to it 5 times now and there is something about it.  Yes i realize it is a different take on a classic,  iconic song.  I get the sense of an alt country song here which is something i can appreciate. 

On my first listen i was prepared to hate this song based on the output over the past few years (ahisma,  your song...,  we are the people...,  etc.).  This song is none of that.  I can appreciate that this can coexist along with the original Pride as a companion and not a replacement.  I hope to hear more with this treatment and can honestly say i look forward to SOS. 

WOW  :o

First Chair. Last Call.
1966-2024
Presented by Vandelay Industries.
Management: Pendant Publishing.
All rights reserved.
Void where prohibited.
The information contained in this site is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, and usefulness.
Your mileage may vary.

Zoo adam

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2023, 05:54:07 PM »
Fans may feel short changed if this was going to be an 11 song album. But 40 songs.

U2 are going up against classic tracks and saying 'this is a good companion piece' that deserves to be released. Which is certainly a challenge.

Zoo adam

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2023, 06:12:31 PM »
The new version of Pride is almost like a new song.

Different intro, outtro, middle instrumental & tempo. And who was the singer!?

Lyrics stayed the same. Incorporating Bono's original vocals at the end worked perfectly.