Modern Day Movies (are they poorer quality now?)

• 9 Replies

Smee

• Howdy
Modern Day Movies (are they poorer quality now?)
« on: January 08, 2023, 07:11:41 AM »
I dont go to the cinema much these days. Reason being, there are rarely any movies that really tickle my fancy. in 2022, there were only 3 new releases that i was TEMPTED to go to pay to see. Those movies were Top Gun: Maverick, The Batman and the Irish movie about Inisherin (the name escapes me for now)

I do however, have Sky Movies Channels, Disny Plus, Netflix and Amazon Prime, to watch movies. But i cant help but think the quality of new movies being churned out now are mostly woeful. Im thinking that the Days of Hollywood are almost over (thats where most of my all time fave movies were made). The talent pool of script writers, actors and directors gets more diluted as the months pass.
I used to look forward to Fridays on Sky Premiere movie channel. It would mean the latest big name movie would be shown.
Now, it is full of truly woeful Sky Original movies......movies about English Villagers getting together to save their local Pub and what not. Thats the sort of movie we get now. Hollywood Blockbusters are thin on the ground. I used to enoy a number of Indie Movies too, but again, it has been a long time since i saw a really good Indie movie. I think the last, might well have been Nebraska.

Feel free to chip in with your own thoughts.
In the garden I was playing the tart
I kissed your lips and broke your heart
You
You were acting like it was the end of the world

Smee

• Howdy
Re: Modern Day Movies (are they poorer quality now?)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2023, 07:16:23 AM »
PS, i will admit, there was ONE Sky Original Movie i watched, which was decent. It was Unhinged, with Russell Crowe in it.
You

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 08:13:04 AM »
A lot of script writers, actors and directors have moved to serialized TV shows on the platforms you mention.

I was listening to a radio interview with an indie filmmaker (Xavier Dolan) who has just released his first TV series. One thing he mentioned, a part from having better budgets on TV series, is the fact that the medium gives him more time to tell his stories. He will still do movies, but TV will now be his main focus.

Also, you have great films that are released straight to streaming platforms. Films like Roma,Nomadland, The Power of the Dog, Donít Look Up, The Irishman were all critically acclaimed movies that went straight to streaming.

So, lots of great films still being made.
First Chair. Last Call.
©1966-2024
Presented by Vandelay Industries.
Management: Pendant Publishing.
All rights reserved.
Void where prohibited.
The information contained in this site is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, and usefulness.
Your mileage may vary.

Smee

• Howdy
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2023, 11:39:46 AM »
A lot of script writers, actors and directors have moved to serialized TV shows on the platforms you mention.

I was listening to a radio interview with an indie filmmaker (Xavier Dolan) who has just released his first TV series. One thing he mentioned, a part from having better budgets on TV series, is the fact that the medium gives him more time to tell his stories. He will still do movies, but TV will now be his main focus.

Also, you have great films that are released straight to streaming platforms. Films like Roma,Nomadland, The Power of the Dog, Donít Look Up, The Irishman were all critically acclaimed movies that went straight to streaming.

Therein lyes another bugbear of mine.....Tv Shows!!! Pretty much EVERY modern day tv show i watch, seem to ramble on endlessly. So much irrelevant filler content in them. Most of these shows could tell he exact same story, in half as many episodes.
I cant really watch these shows, for the aforementioned reasons. Movies are my thing. Ideally, i like a WHOLE story to be told, in the space of 2 hours (or thereabouts)

Of course,these are just my own opinions. It is how i feel about matters
You

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2023, 11:53:40 AM »

Therein lyes another bugbear of mine.....Tv Shows!!! Pretty much EVERY modern day tv show i watch, seem to ramble on endlessly. So much irrelevant filler content in them. Most of these shows could tell he exact same story, in half as many episodes.
I cant really watch these shows, for the aforementioned reasons. Movies are my thing. Ideally, i like a WHOLE story to be told, in the space of 2 hours (or thereabouts)

Of course,these are just my own opinions. It is how i feel about matters

Thereís certainly truth to that. Hell, Iím currently watching S11 of The Walking Dead. Rambling on endlessly is one of TWDís specialties.  ;D

I believe anthology-type series might be more suited to your tastes.

First Chair. Last Call.
©1966-2024
Presented by Vandelay Industries.
Management: Pendant Publishing.
All rights reserved.
Void where prohibited.
The information contained in this site is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, and usefulness.
Your mileage may vary.

Codeguy

• (He, His, Him, Romeo not Juliette, that fucker)
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2023, 01:43:43 PM »
The big ticket movies are fewer and further between, but IMO we have never seen an era with better quality lower budget films and theyíre coming from all over the world.

As an example I watched the Wolfs call on Netflix last night. Brilliant submarine movie, originally Le Chant De Loup in French; easily a film that could not have been made in the pre-streaming era

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-------

Too tall to be a despot

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2023, 01:51:47 AM »
Movie theatres are dying. Covid hurt but the big issue is that the studios arenít seeing the returns they used to on mid and lower budget films. The Marvel type movies have taken over, and Hollywood is using characters created decades ago and arenít creating new ones. A big budget movie now typically costs over $250m when you include itís marketing cost. The studio will see about 50% of the tickets sold so those big budget movies need to take in more then $500m in many cases just to break even. I read the latest Avatar needed over $1B to break even because of its high costs. These movies are high risk for the studios so we see them banking on characters and franchises created years ago. Marvel, Star Wars, Ghostbusters, remakes of TV shows or old movies, etc..

The days that a star could sell a movie on their own is over also. Only DiCaprio, who gets his picks of the best projects and directors, is a sure thing now. Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Tom Cruise, George Clooney, etc.. have all had multiple flops in the last decade.
Talk U2 2023 Awards

WINNER - THE ADAM CLAYTON WHO WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON A BENDER WITH AWARD

WINNER - THE DAVID LEE ROTH BEST USE OF A MEME/GIF AWARD

Tumbling Dice

• Dice Dice Baby
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2023, 08:06:29 AM »
The demographic of movie watchers has changed as Hollywood caters to the young wokesters and young wokesters don't belong to the culture of going to the cinema, instead preferring to stream stuff on their shitty devices.  There's little that Hollywood churns out to appeal to the middle aged or seniors who have the disposable income and belong to the culture of going to the pictures. Occasionally they'll still get it right such as the latest Top Gun picture which catered to the older crowd and their nostalgia and that was a box office hit.  There's few new ideas and originality left anymore, just the reformulation of the old tried and tested films to try to appeal to the younger woke audiences.   Hopefully, the adage 'Go Woke Go Broke' holds true for Hollywood and they're out of business within the next ten to twenty years.

You Lost the League at Goodison Park

God Save The King

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2023, 03:53:01 PM »
I think we've been in the second golden age of television for a while now but can't say i like the quality of films at the moment.  For over a decade its been superheroes, remakes and sequels.  Not a lot of originality out there. Even indie films aren't how they were.  The definition of an indie in Hollywood is 10 million or lower budget.  As someone who made films with a budget of a couple hundred thousand, i can't say I agree with that definition.

imaginary friend

• you will have many friends when you need them
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2023, 07:12:12 PM »
Newer bad movies at least seem to be somewhat more enjoyable than old bad movies.
find a station anywhere   http://radio.garden/listen/magic-fm/82GNMn3f

add some fun to your life while learning about music:   https://codepen.io/jakealbaugh/full/qNrZyw