U2 without Larry?

• 339 Replies

Blue Turtle

• Kate is my name
U2 without Larry?
« on: November 28, 2022, 09:28:17 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2022/11/28/u2-kennedy-center-honors/

It looks like Larry has had enough  :-[

Then there is Mullen. “The bulls--- detector,” says Clayton. He is largely self-trained as a drummer, a powerhouse who now struggles with the physical toll of a lifetime of pounding. He’s the least public of the group’s four members, by far. The interview he gave for this story was, he said, his first in seven years. He’s blunt — he says if the band plays live in 2023 it will probably be without him, as he needs surgery to continue playing — and admits the dynamics in the band are not the same as they were decades ago.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 09:30:23 PM by Blue Turtle »

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
Re: U2 without Larry?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 09:59:55 PM »
I read this. Looks like the Vegas residency will be without Larry if the timeline we’ve read is true.

Reading between the lines it seems Larry (and likely Adam also) may have been phased out somewhat in the decision making process in the last decade or so.
Talk U2 2023 Awards

WINNER - THE ADAM CLAYTON WHO WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON A BENDER WITH AWARD

WINNER - THE DAVID LEE ROTH BEST USE OF A MEME/GIF AWARD

So Cruel

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 10:01:27 PM »
Not sure if they tour without Larry I’d be on board with it. I think I’d likely skip it.
Talk U2 2023 Awards

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 10:22:06 PM »
Anybody knows if one of his kids plays the drums?
First Chair. Last Call.
©1966-2024
Presented by Vandelay Industries.
Management: Pendant Publishing.
All rights reserved.
Void where prohibited.
The information contained in this site is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, and usefulness.
Your mileage may vary.

Achtung Baby

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 11:26:17 PM »
What becomes of "if" and "probably" is TBD.
We Get To Carry Each Other

Tumbling Dice

• Dice Dice Baby
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 11:36:17 PM »
Well, the Stones continued touring without the late great Charlie Watts and we know U2 love a £ note as much as the Stones do, so I'd say they'd carry on without him.  I think Adam will hang in there for the money and the glory because he probably still enjoys being a part time rock star.  It's understandable Larry would want to retire if he has serious health problems and a bad back can be very painful and debilitating.  I'm sure Larry doesn't get any fun out of drumming anymore and doesn't want to end up like Phil Collins.  As one gets older, priorities and perspectives change considerably.  Age isn't just a number, it's a stage of life and Larry is now in his 60s.  Best wishes for the future, Larry Mullen Jnr.

You Lost the League at Goodison Park

Alphane

• Romans 6:23
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 11:37:57 PM »
Larry's my favorite member of the band. A show without any one of them isn't U2 and I would have zero interest in seeing it.

SlyDanner

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2022, 12:10:11 AM »
Most interesting quote of the article:  "In Mullen’s view, the system that served the band well for so long has now become more of a benevolent dictatorship."  Ouch. 

Last 2 albums have been more like 'Bono and the Southside of Dublin Band', not U2.  And Bono has become insufferable.  I know the superfans here disagree, whatever.

I think the next album and tour will be rough, for fans and the band... to say the least.

SlyDanner

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2022, 12:19:59 AM »
Well, the Stones continued touring without the late great Charlie Watts and we know U2 love a £ note as much as the Stones do, so I'd say they'd carry on without him.  I think Adam will hang in there for the money and the glory because he probably still enjoys being a part time rock star.  It's understandable Larry would want to retire if he has serious health problems and a bad back can be very painful and debilitating.  I'm sure Larry doesn't get any fun out of drumming anymore and doesn't want to end up like Phil Collins.  As one gets older, priorities and perspectives change considerably.  Age isn't just a number, it's a stage of life and Larry is now in his 60s.  Best wishes for the future, Larry Mullen Jnr.

well said.

Larry gets a lot of shit for being a drag on the band, but it's hard to not respect his reality-based counter-punching to the ubiquitous, non-stop salesman Bono and all his incessant, 24x7 bullshit. 

I do wonder if at some point the band's 'equal shares' financial agreement has been altered.  Or, did Larry just give up his 25% share of voice in the direction of the band?  The 'benevolent dictatorship' comment is amazing.

Blue Turtle

• Kate is my name
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2022, 12:40:17 AM »
Larry's my favorite member of the band. A show without any one of them isn't U2 and I would have zero interest in seeing it.
He's my favorite too! I know a couple people on this forum have said he would be the first to leave.

Blue Turtle

• Kate is my name
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2022, 12:41:35 AM »
Anybody knows if one of his kids plays the drums?
I believe his son plays drums and was in a band a few years ago. I can't remember the band though. I don't think they were well known.

SaveBrendanFraser77

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2022, 01:11:28 AM »
Most interesting quote of the article:  "In Mullen’s view, the system that served the band well for so long has now become more of a benevolent dictatorship."  Ouch. 

Last 2 albums have been more like 'Bono and the Southside of Dublin Band', not U2.  And Bono has become insufferable.  I know the superfans here disagree, whatever.

I think the next album and tour will be rough, for fans and the band... to say the least.
Well said. At what point do you get sick and tired of putting in countless hours of work into an album just for Edge and Bono to scrap it because they have to be perceived as “the biggest band in the world” - hard for me to believe Larry gives much of a crap for that nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THRILLHO

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2022, 01:30:54 AM »
bring in Dave Grohl. im joking but god i bet Bono would do that in a heartbeat. <and id still go see it!>

SlyDanner

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2022, 01:45:30 AM »
bring in Dave Grohl. im joking but god i bet Bono would do that in a heartbeat. <and id still go see it!>

no, Bono is too insecure, he would fear Grohl would take over on vocals.

Really.

So Cruel

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2022, 02:05:14 AM »

well said.

Larry gets a lot of shit for being a drag on the band, but it's hard to not respect his reality-based counter-punching to the ubiquitous, non-stop salesman Bono and all his incessant, 24x7 bullshit. 

I do wonder if at some point the band's 'equal shares' financial agreement has been altered.  Or, did Larry just give up his 25% share of voice in the direction of the band?  The 'benevolent dictatorship' comment is amazing.

My guess is that at some point Bono and Edge decided that as the bands creative force they were probably sick of Larry and Adam getting an equal say and started to tune them out. There was that book that came out a while ago that stated Larry and Bono used to be very close but not so much anymore.
Talk U2 2023 Awards