MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
First Chair. Last Call.
1966-2024
Presented by Vandelay Industries.
Management: Pendant Publishing.
All rights reserved.
Void where prohibited.
The information contained in this site is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, and usefulness.
Your mileage may vary.

Codeguy

• (He, His, Him, Romeo not Juliette, that fucker)

Neil Young

Re: Book reviews
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 05:40:10 AM »
I dont mean to say anyone cares about h my own opinion, but here it is nonetheless:
The audio book is actually really good, and I hate audio books. Well written, well read, content somewhat too familiar at times, but the format with some music etc makes it a great experience. It has improved my commute as I have stopped listening to all the problems of the world on the radio. And thats no small thing living in the UK these days.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 05:42:42 AM by Neil Young »

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2022, 10:45:20 AM »
Im enjoying the audio book but it sounds less and less accurate as it goes on

Right around ATYCLB he states that the album is often ranked in the top 3 of U2 albums with JT and AB where the hell did he see that ?
He also says Edge is the most influential guitarist  ask any guitar player  uh

Its as if hed entered another world at that point.
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

Alphane

• Romans 6:23
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2022, 11:00:16 AM »
Im enjoying the audio book but it sounds less and less accurate as it goes on

Right around ATYCLB he states that the album is often ranked in the top 3 of U2 albums with JT and AB where the hell did he see that ?
He also says Edge is the most influential guitarist ask any guitar player uh

Its as if hed entered another world at that point.

At the time it was released I remember hearing at least one publication (Rolling Stone, I think) proclaiming it as their "third masterpiece" after TJT and AB. That might be where he got that, plus it is more popular with mainstream listeners when compared to some of their other work.

Tumbling Dice

• Dice Dice Baby
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2022, 11:26:25 AM »
We all know by now U2 see ATYCLB as their third masterpiece and that they have a low regard for Zooropa and Pop.  The commercial success and the 'comeback' role it played in the U2 story have to be factors in their high regard for it because surely they don't rate the music more highly. 

You Lost the League at Goodison Park

Neil Young

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2022, 11:55:48 AM »
Yes, but...

As ATYCLB propelled them back into the mainstream and the $ that came with that, isn't it somewhat understandable that they want to portray it as an artistic masterpiece? Otherwise they would have to acknowledge that commercial success is their number one concern?

I just heard the bit about one of the most influential guitarists. It's not completely unfair, is it? At least you instantly recognise his sound (which is effect heavy but so what?). It's another thing to say Edge is one of the "best". He is clearly not that technically gifted. And that obviously irritates the guitar wankers enormously.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 11:58:49 AM by Neil Young »

Alphane

• Romans 6:23
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2022, 12:24:36 PM »
Yes, but...

As ATYCLB propelled them back into the mainstream and the $ that came with that, isn't it somewhat understandable that they want to portray it as an artistic masterpiece? Otherwise they would have to acknowledge that commercial success is their number one concern?

I just heard the bit about one of the most influential guitarists. It's not completely unfair, is it? At least you instantly recognise his sound (which is effect heavy but so what?). It's another thing to say Edge is one of the "best". He is clearly not that technically gifted. And that obviously irritates the guitar wankers enormously.

Edge has certainly been influential and his sound is unique, so I don't think it's a stretch to call him one of the greats. Technically he's far from it, but in terms of innovation and sound he's carved out a great place for himself. U2 wouldn't be U2 without him.

I also think ATYCLB is a solid album, but I realize that makes me the minority around here. ;D

Tumbling Dice

• Dice Dice Baby
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2022, 12:27:04 PM »
The Edge is an effects man more than a guitarist. The guitar is just one more tool in his box of tricks.

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2022, 12:40:23 PM »
ATYCLB is an odd one. Im not big on some of the hits like BD, Elevation, or Walk On, although the initial live versions of BD and Walk On were great.

In a Little While is one of their best songs in 30 years. Absolutely love it, and its also a song that non-U2 fans I know like as it doesnt have that typical U2 sound. As my ex gf said 20 years ago, I dont like U2 but that song that sounds like a 60s soul song is really good.

I also like Stuck in A Moment, Kite, and Wild Honey (yes, its a throwaway but I like it). The rest Im not really a fan of.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 12:42:02 PM by So Cruel »
Talk U2 2023 Awards

WINNER - THE ADAM CLAYTON WHO WOULD YOU LIKE TO GO ON A BENDER WITH AWARD

WINNER - THE DAVID LEE ROTH BEST USE OF A MEME/GIF AWARD

Larry Lovebucket

• Because Im worth it.
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2022, 04:07:34 AM »
I always said ATYCLB was the tipping point for U2 and not just creatively. Bono was always a bullshitter but everything changed around that time. So it comes as no surprise that his narrative in the book started going off the rails.

As for edge, hes decent enough. He has a unique sound regardless of technical ability thanks to Brook. Is he a truly great guitar player? No. Is he perfect for U2? Yes.

Personally, Im not really fussed about most of ATYCLB. I hate BD. On the other hand Kite is superb as is SIAM. Even so, things were good back then and seeing the band in 3 different cities was a joy. The Elevation tour was probably their finest hour.

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2022, 04:47:49 AM »
Just to be clear
1/I dont hate ATYCLB. There are a few misfires in it but I absolutely love Stuck in a Moment or In a Little While, for example.

2/I personally rate Edge very highly but most guitar players just value technical abilities and artifice Vs personal tone & sound which is what Edge is really good at.
In short I believe very, very few guitarists will sincerely name Edge as an influence (Ed O Brien being one of them) but I dont doubt they do when they meet Bono or Edge, just to be nice.
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

Larry Lovebucket

• Because Im worth it.
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2022, 11:33:09 AM »
The other thing about Behind being it has a terrible cover. Of course, the award for the worst goes to SOI. Is it any coincidence both are black and white?

laoghaire

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2022, 11:45:59 AM »
At least half of their covers are black and white, including their absolutely iconic War and TJT covers, so, yeah, Id say it was a coincidence.

Tumbling Dice

• Dice Dice Baby
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2022, 11:50:05 AM »
The monochrome and minimalist artwork of ATYCLB reflects the music contained therein.  It was a good choice of cover.