Bono to appear on Howard Stern

• 25 Replies

guest85

Re: Bono to appear on Howard Stern
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2017, 10:39:00 AM »
Bono dodged the death incident pretty good and Howard didnít push him too much.  GOOYOW sounds like a rehearsal. Bono wanted to start again in a lower key. Iím actually embarrassed for them.

Lazyboy

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 11:07:10 AM »
I actually like GOOYOW to an extent, but I think it might be the worst song on SOE. Weird that they use it to publicise the album so much.

Codeguy

• Despite all my rage, still like a rat in a cage
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 12:03:51 PM »
Anything solid come from this interview? I like Howard stern as an interviewer - he gets dissed a lot because of his playboy antics but when he sticks to the point heís usually great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
--------
Fuck the coronavirus!

guest85

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2017, 02:26:43 PM »
Anything solid come from this interview? I like Howard stern as an interviewer - he gets dissed a lot because of his playboy antics but when he sticks to the point heís usually great

Havenít heard the whole thing yet. Listening to the replay now. No revelations really, but interesting nonetheless.

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2017, 03:00:44 PM »
Not a big fan of Stern, but i think it would be cool to have Bono in a hot seat on his show, get him to answer the juicy questions that he avoided in his 'autobiography' interview book.

guest85

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 03:03:04 PM »
Not a big fan of Stern, but i think it would be cool to have Bono in a hot seat on his show, get him to answer the juicy questions that he avoided in his 'autobiography' interview book.

Iím almost done listening now, nothing overly interesting. Although Bono and Edges demeanor was far less pretentious than usual. Bono sounded like a regular guy a lot of the time.

andrewau2

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2017, 10:55:43 PM »
Here's a rundown of the show
http://www.marksfriggin.com/news.htm#mon
Scroll down to "Bono & The Edge From U2 Perform Live. 12/04/17. 8:50am"

or listen here

https://soundcloud.com/super-yo/bono-the-edge-at-the-howard-stern-show

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2017, 09:59:26 PM »
Thought this was one of the better U2 interviews done, probably because they had a full hour and didn't have to just talk about the new album.

Howard does a good job, he plays snippets from songs from all the albums up to AB, and then gets Bono and the Edge talking about those songs and eras.

This isn't the first time I've heard Bono say he can't listen to himself sing on those early albums. When bits of Pride and With or Without You were played, Bono said it was tough to listen to and that he didn't like his voice back then and that he's a better singer now. He may technically be better now, but man, someone needs to point he had a power back then that brought pure passion to those songs. That power is long gone. Stern's partner Robin actually noted to Bono how perfectly his voice matched the music the band were playing.

Another thing I was impressed with was the acoustic treatment a few of the songs got. I thought GOOYOW was done really well and had a different feeling then the album. Same with YTBTAM. I actually like that a whole lot better acoustically.

They went into the song writing process and Edge explained the genesis of Streets and played the opening. All in all, a really good interview.
Definitive U2 Top 10: 1. One, 2. Bad, 3. With Or Without You, 4. Running to Stand Still, 5. So Cruel, 6. Ultraviolet, 7. I Still Havenít Found What Iím Looking For, 8. Hawkmoon 269, 9. Red Hill Mining Town, 10. Luminous Times

lorence_of_arabia

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2017, 10:50:29 PM »
Excellent interview. Worth a whole listen.

Codeguy

• Despite all my rage, still like a rat in a cage
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2017, 11:48:35 PM »
Great interview Howard steen is a great interviewer - CNN was looking at him as a potential Larry king type interviewer but his shock jock stuff ruins him as a serious journalist unfortunately

--------
Fuck the coronavirus!

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 12:56:59 PM »
i never understood Stern's rant on freedom of speech and saying he couldn't say what he wanted to on FM radio- it was all about cussing and telling filthy jokes.
That said, i've always liked the way he interviews and can get people to let down their guards.  I'll be listening to this segment when i get a moment.