Streets Comes On The Radio This Morning…

• 25 Replies

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
Streets Comes On The Radio This Morning…
« on: May 04, 2022, 11:59:49 PM »
I’m driving this morning and Streets comes on the radio. Great song, but once again for the millionth time in the last 30 years I felt…..disappointment.

The production, like on other songs on the album, sucks. It really, really sucks. When Adams base hits it should be thumping, Larry’s drums should be pounding through those speakers, but they’re not. There should be a huge buildup and big payoff when the songs moves from the beginning part to the song, but there isn’t. I keep waiting for it but it isn’t there. It sounds like it was recorded under water. So underwhelming and it bugs me to this day when I hear it. Probably why it wasn’t in my top 50 U2 songs.

It’s not on the band, it’s on the production team. Eno should have made sure those songs sounded great instead of worrying about some odd keyboard fills.
Jealousy, it's not what it's cracked up to be
Envy, gets you where you need to be

laoghaire

Re: Streets Comes On The Radio This Morning…
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2022, 09:44:55 AM »
I lnow what you mean. There is a flatness. The song is superb but the punch doesn’t come through the speaker.

Larry Lovebucket

• If you shouldn't, don't.
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 12:30:16 PM »
I’ve never understood the love for streets. After the atmospheric intro it falls flat on its face. TJT is let down badly by tinny production. However, WOWY, Bullet, RTTS and IGC work very well despite that.

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 12:37:14 PM »
I have always found u2 studio recordings to be quite flat and lifeless, especially compared to well engineered albums, of a similar age. I dont find any of their studio album to sound vibrant. Maybe this is why i much rather listen to the bands live performances. There are only a handful of studio tunes i prefer over the live version.
In the garden I was playing the tart
I kissed your lips and broke your heart
You
You were acting like it was the end of the world

The Exile

• The public enemy don't mean shit to Chuck D.
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 01:49:25 PM »
I’m driving this morning and Streets comes on the radio. Great song, but once again for the millionth time in the last 30 years I felt…..disappointment.

The production, like on other songs on the album, sucks. It really, really sucks. When Adams base hits it should be thumping, Larry’s drums should be pounding through those speakers, but they’re not. There should be a huge buildup and big payoff when the songs moves from the beginning part to the song, but there isn’t. I keep waiting for it but it isn’t there. It sounds like it was recorded under water. So underwhelming and it bugs me to this day when I hear it. Probably why it wasn’t in my top 50 U2 songs.

It’s not on the band, it’s on the production team. Eno should have made sure those songs sounded great instead of worrying about some odd keyboard fills.

There was a story in U2 at the End of the World where Bono was remembering hitchhiking in America in 1987 and the kid who picked him up was blasting Pour Some Sugar on Me, and Bono mentioned something about being jealous that those drums hit so hard. But they never really did anything about that, did they? The song No Line sounds like Larry put pillows over his drums.
Listen as Hope and Peace try to rhyme,
Listen over marching bands playing out their time.

SlyDanner

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 02:04:38 PM »

There was a story in U2 at the End of the World where Bono was remembering hitchhiking in America in 1987 and the kid who picked him up was blasting Pour Some Sugar on Me, and Bono mentioned something about being jealous that those drums hit so hard. But they never really did anything about that, did they? The song No Line sounds like Larry put pillows over his drums.

but eventually they gave us Vertigo.  yay.  and then Miracle, and American Soul.  Ouch.  Ouch.

I recall a quote from Adam where he said he sounds like he has gloves on while playing bass on Streets...

WalkOn2000

• There's a lot of things if I could I'd rearrange
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 02:37:53 PM »
Why so much criticism? It's a great song, anthem, one of the best songs in rock history. And it always sounds great live.

The Exile

• The public enemy don't mean shit to Chuck D.
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 03:05:55 PM »
Why so much criticism? It's a great song, anthem, one of the best songs in rock history. And it always sounds great live.

Pretty sure he answered your question in his original post.
Listen as Hope and Peace try to rhyme,
Listen over marching bands playing out their time.

Phoenix Rising

• Danger, Danger - Everyone loses their mind
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2022, 03:08:05 PM »
I think So Cruel just needs a better car stereo.   8)
Every child is a sacred gift from God

Hamman

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2022, 03:23:52 PM »

That whole album and every album since NLOTH has the drums turned down

laoghaire

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2022, 03:29:18 PM »
Lillywhite nailed the drums at least.

October especially.

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2022, 04:25:01 PM »

That whole album and every album since NLOTH has the drums turned down

U2 have for ages now castrated their rhythm section in favour of having bono screeching and edge plodding at the heart of their recorded sound.

Hamman

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2022, 04:29:35 PM »
Lillywhite nailed the drums at least.

October especially.
Yeah that's good point. Drums sounded big and clear on his records.

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2022, 05:18:35 PM »

Yup. I remember reading that. The Joshua Tree is one of the best albums ever but the way a few of those songs like Streets and Exit were recorded it sounds lifeless. Compare it to a recording done 16 years earlier like Led Zep 4 and it's night and day.
Jealousy, it's not what it's cracked up to be
Envy, gets you where you need to be

Hamman

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2022, 05:44:25 PM »
Didn't they name a recording technique after one of the Zep engineers? I think it was like a 3 mic technique for the drums.