• 29 Replies

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
First Chair. Last Call.

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
Re: On SOI, SOE, and maybe, SOA
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 11:50:59 PM »
The article lost me when it said the Miracle is “ one of U2’s most endearing songs in some time”.
Jealousy, it's not what it's cracked up to be
Envy, gets you where you need to be

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2022, 12:38:19 PM »
The article lost me when it said the Miracle is “ one of U2’s most endearing songs in some time”.
Ok, that is a sure sign that i shouldnt bother reading the article
In the garden I was playing the tart
I kissed your lips and broke your heart
You
You were acting like it was the end of the world

WalkOn2000

• There's a lot of things if I could I'd rearrange
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2022, 02:45:53 PM »
OK, SOI promotion has been a mess, it's probably going to be the stigma of U2 forever. But the album is perfect, which has all the U2 standards.

Phoenix Rising

• Danger, Danger - Everyone loses their mind
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2022, 03:06:16 PM »

Well if it says that i wont even bother clicking on the link.  Would have been interesting to see what they had to say about SOA though...
Every child is a sacred gift from God

laoghaire

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2022, 03:30:43 PM »
Yeah my finger broke after reading that snippet, can’t click.

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2022, 05:19:16 PM »
OK, SOI promotion has been a mess, it's probably going to be the stigma of U2 forever. But the album is perfect, which has all the U2 standards.

Any album with the Miracle and Song For Someone on it is far from perfect.
Jealousy, it's not what it's cracked up to be
Envy, gets you where you need to be

Rising Sun

• spirit of the rising sun lift me up...
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2022, 01:26:21 PM »
It’s a great article and other than The Miracle misstep, the writer identifies the strong material on both albums and ignores the clunkers, except for this perceptive passage:

There’s also a song called “Get Out of Your Own Way,” ironically, which seems to summarize the lingering problem of U2 in this era. Songs of Innocence and Songs of Experience are both pretty good—and yet they both feel like missed opportunities. Experience in particular seems like an attempt by a band nearly four decades into their career attempting to capture a sound that resonates with youth, but that’s often a losing battle. Yet U2 have pulled off radical and inventive records before, there’s no reason to believe they couldn’t do it again if commercial success and the elusive reward of relevance weren’t chief among their aims.

Yet as U2 are wont to release albums as unofficial trilogies—the post-punk trio of Boy, October and War or the more experimental ’90s trilogy of Achtung Baby, Zooropa and POP—there’s long been a rumored third installment of this series of albums, potentially titled Songs of Ascent. Information about when it might be released or if at all have been spotty, and the album has been a recurring topic on U2 fan forums for a long time. However, Bono did confirm its existence on a podcast interview with Hozier in 2019: “We have this beautiful ecstatic album called Songs of Ascent. I don’t know if we’ll finish it soon or if it will take forever. It’s about the 15 Psalms, named after the 15 steps, from the Women’s Chamber up to the Temple of Jerusalem.” Then again he also said he wanted to do a straightforward rock ‘n’ roll album, so perhaps we’ll eventually hear both.

If there’s hesitancy on U2’s part to deliver Songs of Ascent, I get it: A biblically inspired and so-called “meditative” album probably isn’t the thing that’s going to ensure the crown remains in their hands. But making something different, something interesting and potentially risky, is how they got it in the first place.

WalkOn2000

• There's a lot of things if I could I'd rearrange
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2022, 03:19:51 PM »
They have been saying for years that they plan to release a "club-sounding" album. Maybe Songs of Ascent ...?

SlyDanner

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2022, 03:28:10 PM »
They have been saying for years that they plan to release a "club-sounding" album. Maybe Songs of Ascent ...?

just say no to drugs. 

Phoenix Rising

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2022, 03:31:10 PM »

I cannot imagine an album about the 15th Psalms being a club sounding album.  Pop is likely as close as they will ever get to a club sounding album.  Naturally i could be mistaken and there are certainly club songs out there with an ethereal quality.  But this is U2 in 2022,  not the U2 of 1992.  I wish they would prove me wrong though.   

Hamman

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2022, 03:42:57 PM »
The original Best Thing Kygo mix (live) was pretty good imo

Phoenix Rising

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2022, 05:22:35 PM »
The original Best Thing Kygo mix (live) was pretty good imo

It was a vast improvement over the lackluster album version / single that the band released 💩💩💩

dan

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2022, 05:42:19 PM »
They are getting on a bit now. I would like to see them release some new music soon, just so the general population don't completely forget about them. A mega world tour is not  necessary if they don't want to do it at this time.

Coldplay seem to release  new music every year or so.

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2022, 07:07:27 PM »
They are getting on a bit now. I would like to see them release some new music soon, just so the general population don't completely forget about them. A mega world tour is not  necessary if they don't want to do it at this time.

Coldplay seem to release  new music every year or so.

No chance u2 will release an album without a tour of the enormodomes....absolutely no chance.

IMO they should call it quits....but i doubt they will - love a pound note too much, and still are deluded enough to think they can appeal to the kids.