Aside from the "classics", what are some must-listen albums?

• 61 Replies

guest20

« on: December 01, 2017, 07:43:44 PM »
This is not a place for the usual tried-and-true recommendations, so save your Abbey Road and Born To Run suggestions for another thread! Here are a few albums I'd advocate for to kickstart the discussion:

Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork

This is my favorite QOTSA album. Rather than following the trends of past albums, QOTSA goes for a universally melancholy and somber feeling throughout this record. Check it out if you would be interested in hearing emotionally-invested, boisterous alt-rock with a tinge of aggressiveness.

Beck - Midnite Vultures

This is another artist favorite of mine. Midnite Vultures is a nonchalant, funk-laden stroke of genius wrapped up with some humorous hedonistic lyricism. Give it a listen if you crave some laid-back funk-rock.

Aviastar

• Hey, now...do you know my name?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 08:07:30 PM »
The Cure - Disintegration.

First time I listened to this album the full way through I was driving across the state of Minnesota in the dead of winter.  Desolate sounding album in a desolate landscape.  It was exhilarating, because i am drawn to desolation (and I love winter in the northern plains).
My U2 Top 10: The Unforgettable Fire, Acrobat, New Year's Day, Gloria, The Fly, A Sort of Homecoming, Where The Streets Have No Name, Bad, Ultra Violet (Light My Way), Drowning Man

Kmama07

• She is everywhere and no place
Re: Aside from the "classics", what are some must-listen albums?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 08:30:06 PM »
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 08:01:22 AM by Kmama07 »
Hey, hey, sha la la

guest22

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 08:36:55 PM »
This is not a place for the usual tried-and-true recommendations, so save your Abbey Road and Born To Run suggestions for another thread! Here are a few albums I'd advocate for to kickstart the discussion:

Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork

This is my favorite QOTSA album. Rather than following the trends of past albums, QOTSA goes for a universally melancholy and somber feeling throughout this record. Check it out if you would be interested in hearing emotionally-invested, boisterous alt-rock with a tinge of aggressiveness.

Beck - Midnite Vultures

This is another artist favorite of mine. Midnite Vultures is a nonchalant, funk-laden stroke of genius wrapped up with some humorous hedonistic lyricism. Give it a listen if you crave some laid-back funk-rock.

Like Clockwork is also my favourite QOTSA albums. I think it's brilliant!

I recommend CHRIS CORNELL'S debut solo album from 1999, EUPHORIA MORNING. After 18 years it's still an album I listen to regularly and could never tire of. It's so hauntingly beautiful. Gorgeous sweeping melodies and one of the best voices ever. I think vocally he was at his best on this album and the style of songs showed a very different range from him. I like his follow-up solo albums (and his work with Audioslave and Soundgarden and Temple Of The Dog) but Euphoria Morning will always be my favourite work of his. Such a beautiful melancholic, haunting, moving album.

I'd also recommend NICOLA ROBERTS' CINDERELLA'S EYES. If you're not a Girls Aloud fan don't worry, Nicola's solo album is nothing like her ex-group's music. Unlike some of her ex-group mates releasing rather generic, bland pop albums Nicola's is in another league. Apart from the rather silly lead single Beat Of My Drum the rest of the album has a lot of depth to it, where she really opens up about various subjects close to her heart and the music is nothing commercial or "chart friendly" at all. The album wasn't successful commercially but critically she had almost universal glowing reviews. I wish she'd release another album in a similar vein.

One more recommendation - KALEIDOSCOPE HEART by SARA BAREILLES. I love all her albums but I think this one is her best by far. She's such an underrated singer/songwriter/pianist. Her songs are catchy, quirky, great lyrics and melodies (she writes all her own stuff) and she's even composed all the songs for the hit Broadway musical Waitress, which she's also been starring in too. Very talented lady. She always tells a story in her lyrics and to me she's like a female version of Billy Joel in many ways or a modern day Carole King.

guest20

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 08:51:17 PM »
Thee Oh Sees - A Weird Exits

This is truly one of 2016's best. Don't let the first two boisterous tracks misguide you, as this album has some truly beautiful musical moments on it. Very eccentric and cool record... give it a listen if you're into a raw and/or psychedelic rock.

imaginary friend

• "I don't take responsibility at all"
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 08:52:36 PM »
First few that come to mind:

Trilogy - Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Despite having 2 fairly big hits ("From The Beginning" and their version of "Hoedown"), this album always seems to get lost between the two acknowledged masterpieces Tarkus
 and Brain Salad Surgery. Too bad, as it's their best album from beginning to end.

Red Sails In The Sunset - Midnight Oil. An absolutely blistering, take-no-prisoners album...that's so hardcore Australian in subject matter that non-Aussies damn near need a translator to understand half of it. That never mattered to me, but I've known plenty of people who were so put off by it that they never really gave it a chance.

The Sea and The Bells - Rachel's. Chamber music meets indie rock on equal footing. The album that so many 21st century instrumental indie bands have spent their careers trying and failing to make. Best album of 1996, far and away.

Once - Nightwish. If this were a metal-oriented forum, there would be no need to even bring this up...but a) this isn't a metal forum, and b) this album made them stars (outside the US, at least) for a reason. An hour of pure songwriting brilliance...and you will never hear an orchestra integrated into a rock album more perfectly than here.

Zeropartii

• Living Rent-Free in Your Head
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 12:46:39 AM »
Captain Obvious.  #2 AFTP after Acthung Baby says kid born in 81'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kmama07

• She is everywhere and no place
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 08:53:22 AM »
Captain Obvious.  #2 AFTP after Acthung Baby says kid born in 81'

See my post above.😀
Love REM
Hey, hey, sha la la

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 01:40:36 PM »
Let England Shake - PJ Harvey....an absolute masterpiece. Stunning, simply stunning.

With or Without You - Placebo....never mind how uncool Placebo are - this is a truly brilliant piece of work.

De Stijl - The White Stripes....they never topped this.

The Holy Bible - Manic Street Preachers....just ask il_capo if you don't believe me.

Title TK - The Breeders......A hugely underrated gem.

Hospice - The Antlers....concept albums are bad eh?...go and listen to this and come back to me!

Pride

• Soul wind blow
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 08:49:05 AM »
Does Quadrophenia count as a classic?
Wake your reason's hollow vote, wear your blizzard season coat

guest20

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 08:59:43 AM »

I's say so. Quadrophenia is easily one of the most popular concept albums of all-time, and you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who had never even heard of it.

guest4

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 09:06:16 AM »

I's say so. Quadrophenia is easily one of the most popular concept albums of all-time, and you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who had never even heard of it.
Absolutely!

Zeropartii

• Living Rent-Free in Your Head
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 09:41:31 AM »

Mid-90s Alternative Perfection

guest4

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 09:49:09 AM »
Derek and the Dominoes, Layla

julez728

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 10:41:18 AM »

Mid-90s Alternative Perfection

One of my favorites.
I feel my luck could change.