Magnificence

Re: Is Passengers a U2 album?
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 12:21:35 PM »
my mum says im a catch

i say somewhat
“I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee”
Hebrews 13:5

Rising Sun

• spirit of the rising sun lift me up...
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 12:43:00 PM »
Let’s solve this, once and for all.

The action and debate right now is still in the lower courts in the SOE vs. David Bowie and Your Top 5 U2 Album chains.  When I have a spare moment, I’m going to collate all the evidence for and against it being a U2 album.  There’s so much more evidence for than against.  Should be a quick ruling from the upper court.

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 12:48:59 PM »
Brian Eno and U2 decided it’s not.

It’s not by accident that U2 aren’t mentioned anywhere on the album.

It’s a deliberate, conscious, artistic and/or business choice.

Now… as far as my personal U2 alt universe is concerned…

Here’s a pic of my U2 LP’s

As I consider the album important enough to be included in U2’s albums timeline.

The fact that it sits between Zooropa and Pop makes an absolute sense to me.

In my digital collection, for practical reasons, I listed Passengers as a U2 album called « Passengers ».

I also listed a U2 album called « OS1 » which contains song that appeared in a film. The track list includes Goldeneye, Conversation on a barstool, Mission Impossible… not U2 songs but they are listed as a U2 album in my digital files. Again, for practical reasons.

In short, I don’t consider Passengers a U2 album but IMO it deserves a spot in their catalog, whatever its name is. The name is irrelevant. Only the music matters, really.
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

Achtung Baby

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 01:38:56 PM »
If so, barely.  The song that the masses surely know was the album's only single.  Your Blue Room was performed at just over a handful of live shows and appeared on a limited edition version of a 'Best Of' compilation.  Miss Sarajevo is a U2 song.  Your Blue Room seems to be more of a borderline example.  Think the album was a case of an established band, and its by now familiar producer (in a role essentially as band member for this time only) scratching an experimental itch via a side project without having overly strict expectations attached.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 01:46:03 PM by Achtung Baby »
We Get To Carry Each Other

The Exile

• The public enemy don't mean shit to Chuck D.
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 02:15:37 PM »
Just to add to the confusion, what are we to make of tracks like Your Blue Room? Did it become a U2 song when it was added as the B-side to Staring at the Sun, a U2 single? Was U2 performing a cover version of Your Blue Room on the 360 Tour? Did Miss Sarajevo morph from being a Passengers song to a U2 song when they first played it live in 1997? Did the band Passengers have to get permission to release Watashitachi No Ookina Yume from U2, the band that wrote Zoo Station?

In addition to the issues I raised above, I think it comes down to the letter of the law versus the spirit of it. Legalistically speaking, Passengers is Passengers and U2 is U2. But I think that kind of thinking only scratches the surface, it's too woodenly literal.

Who was the singer onstage for the last leg of ZooTV during the encore? Bono, you say? But he said his name was Mister MacPhisto. Therefore it can't be Bono. If it had been Bono he wouldn't have called himself something else.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 02:22:12 PM by The Exile »
Listen as Hope and Peace try to rhyme,
Listen over marching bands playing out their time.

Larry Lovebucket

• If you shouldn't, don't.
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2022, 02:17:55 PM »
Just to add to the confusion, what are we to make of tracks like Your Blue Room? Did it become a U2 song when it was added as the B-side to Staring at the Sun, a U2 single? Was U2 performing a cover version of Your Blue Room on the 360 Tour? Did Miss Sarajevo morph from being a Passengers song to a U2 song when they first played it live in 1997? Did the band Passengers have to get permission to release Watashitachi No Ookina Yume from U2, the band that wrote Zoo Station?

In addition to the issues I raised above, I think it comes down to the letter of the law versus the spirit of it. Legally speaking, Passengers is Passengers and U2 is U2. But I think that kind of thinking only scratches the surface, it's too woodenly literal.

Who was the singer who performed during the last leg of ZooTV during the encore? Bono, you say? But he said his name was Mister MacPhisto. Therefore it can't be Bono. If it had been Bono he wouldn't have called himself something else.

I forgot to add Exile for president, as an option.

Pete the Chop

• And you can dream, so dream out loud
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 02:18:47 PM »
It's a U2 album which thank god is not a U2 album. Other U2 albums such as NLOTH or even POP would have been better if they weren't U2 albums.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Goodbye, you can keep this suit of lights
I'll be up with the sun
I'm not coming down

wons

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 02:23:18 PM »

In addition to the issues I raised above, I think it comes down to the letter of the law versus the spirit of it. Legally speaking, Passengers is Passengers and U2 is U2. But I think that kind of thinking only scratches the surface, it's too woodenly literal.

Who was the singer onstage for the last leg of ZooTV during the encore? Bono, you say? But he said his name was Mister MacPhisto. Therefore it can't be Bono. If it had been Bono he wouldn't have called himself something else.

If OS1 was a U2 album, U2 would have put the name on it. They said no. We want to do something that is NOT U2. The result was OS1 and the name of the new band that recorded it was Passengers.

The Exile

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 02:25:04 PM »
Isn't it the weirdest coincidence that the Dalton Brothers -- a band that opened for U2 during the Joshua Tree Tour on several occasions -- looked and sounded so much like the members of U2? I mean it's uncanny.  ;D

Just Backdated: THE DALTON BROTHERS - U2 In Disguise

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2022, 02:25:33 PM »

Thank you Sir for proving me right. Appreciate it.  ;D
First Chair. Last Call.

The Exile

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2022, 02:39:20 PM »

No problem! If someone wants to approach this in a technical and legalistic way, I have no issue with that. I just look at it differently.

I mean, in my alt U2-niverse U2 released an album called Novelty Act in 1995 with this track list:

Beautiful Ghost
Let's Go Native
I'm Not Your Baby (Exile Mix)
Alex Descends into Hell
Plot 180
Your Blue Room
Catch You (Exile Mix)
One-Minute Warning
Hallelujah
In the Name of the Father (Alt Mix)
Slug
Always Forever Now

Now THAT would absolutely make my top 5.

"Dream up the kind of world you want to live in...."

u2songs | Pop Reissued: Remastered, Collected, and Dreams |

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2022, 02:42:45 PM »

No problem! If someone wants to approach this in a technical and legalistic way, I have no issue with that. I just look at it differently.

I mean, in my alt U2-niverse U2 released an album called Novelty Act in 1995 with this track list:

Beautiful Ghost
Let's Go Native
I'm Not Your Baby (Exile Mix)
Alex Descends into Hell
Plot 180
Your Blue Room
Catch You (Exile Mix)
One-Minute Warning
Hallelujah
In the Name of the Father (Alt Mix)
Slug
Always Forever Now

Now THAT would absolutely make my top 5.

"Dream up the kind of world you want to live in...."

u2songs | Pop Reissued: Remastered, Collected, and Dreams |
Is Catch you the Michael Hutchence song where you removed him to keep Bono’s contribution ?
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

acrobat62

• I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2022, 02:46:07 PM »
Is "Stop Drop and Roll!!!" a Green Day Album?  No, it's by Foxboro Hot Tubs
Is "Global Citizen" a Coldplay recording? No, it's by Los Unidades
Is "I'm a Cult Hero" a single by the Cure? No, it's by Cult Hero
Is "Nettles" a single by Arctic Monkeys? No, it's by Death Ramps

There are probably more examples out there.