Andy Barlow talks u2 and SoE

• 12 Replies

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....

The Edges Cat

Re: Andy Barlow talks u2 and SoE
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 05:30:47 PM »
This is really interesting:

I’d never done the live role before and it’s a really long show. U2’s live show is over 2 hours long, and on some gigs it would be extremely demanding on Bono’s voice. Their schedule was pretty gruelling so I needed to step in and help. I would think about set list sequencing and change keys to spare his voice, listen to his voice on every section and speak to him about which parts were most demanding on his vocal chords, change the running order and find new ways of singing parts of the song. The extremes from low baritone to falsetto is much more of a strain on his vocals than anything else, so it was about looking at that and lessening the intervals and placing them differently on the live set so that we could get through the show without his voice deteriorating. Bono needed creative ways to retain his vocal power, and he was to be able to finish the yearlong tour around the world.
The Edge: “[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ‘You know what? We’re not going to second-guess any of this. Let’s just go for it.’”

U2 Fans: We'd all love to see that, Edge.

Codeguy

• (He, His, Him, Romeo not Juliette, that fucker)
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 05:48:53 PM »
Great article!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-------

Too tall to be a despot

Miami

• Here comes the car chase
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 05:49:41 PM »
Some good insight into the band's recording. Trying to get them into one room for any length of time to record seems to be harder than I imagine. They're a busy bunch of campers are u2!

guest4

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 05:50:29 PM »
Like puppies in a basket...one is always getting out!

Miami

• Here comes the car chase
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 05:54:49 PM »

I'd imagine that would be the little runt of the litter whose name begins with 'b' and rhymes with yoko's surname?  ;D

mariamontreal

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 07:16:28 PM »
Good article can't help but love them.No big egos, no big demands just big ideas. That's U2 really looking forward to hearing new album and seeing it play out live.
She moves in mysterious ways

robgalloway

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 03:55:03 AM »
Recording for an hour a day ... that's insane ... When I'm in the studio we do 8 hour days ... The first hour is all waking up and setting up and then we're off.

1 hour days ... I'm sending this article to my producer ... it's impossible.

The Edges Cat

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 04:10:05 AM »
Surely they all work on the song on their own outside studio time? The Edge and Bono especially. Then it's a case of quickly showing Larry and Adam what they're about, and away they go for an hour.

Still, an hour a day... wow. Wish I had their union, would love one hour work days!
The Edge: “[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ‘You know what? We’re not going to second-guess any of this. Let’s just go for it.’”

guest4

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 06:42:56 AM »

I'd imagine that would be the little runt of the litter whose name begins with 'b' and rhymes with yoko's surname?  ;D
Exactly! He is def the busy-bad puppy! But, I bet each of them runs amok at some point...

Tafkab

• R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 07:08:21 AM »
Surely they all work on the song on their own outside studio time? The Edge and Bono especially. Then it's a case of quickly showing Larry and Adam what they're about, and away they go for an hour.

Still, an hour a day... wow. Wish I had their union, would love one hour work days!
No wonder they recycled riffs and lyrics 🤣🤣🤣

guest20

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 06:34:49 PM »
Recording for an hour a day ... that's insane ... When I'm in the studio we do 8 hour days ... The first hour is all waking up and setting up and then we're off.

1 hour days ... I'm sending this article to my producer ... it's impossible.

You're right, it is impossible... that word is extremely fitting. U2 cannot thrive as a part-time act. The band either needs to dedicate more time to working on whatever record follows SOE or hang it up for an extended period of time. There's no shame in admitting that you need a break, and I personally believe that U2 needs one.

As an artist, you possess a natural compulsion and desire to create art. As an artist, you can grow worn-out and frustrated with your work over time. Maybe the band isn't worn-out from the celebrity-act associated with their musicianship (because the group sure seems eager to continue touring), but it certainly could be artistically worn. That compulsion to create would surely return with some time off.

Hey, maybe I'm horribly wrong! But if hour long recording days are indicative of anything, it's of artistic wear and complacency.

The Edges Cat

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 07:06:41 PM »
They just released their best album since ATYCLB (and if you don't like that one, since Pop, and if you don't like Pop then it's their best record in over 20 years!). An hour day hasn't hurt them one iota. And that's just studio time, you can bet your left arm Edge and Bono are working like squirrels outside the studio. Adam and Larry would be communicating somewhat too.

This is U2. They have never acted like other bands, and producers since time immemorial have lamented how frustrating they are to work with.

SoE is getting rave reviews. All is good.