U2 vs D2

• 7 Replies

Magnificence

• At the end of the storm there's a Golden Sky
U2 vs D2
« on: June 08, 2021, 11:51:58 AM »
Some comments in a different thread got me to thinking, and Duran Duran has a lot of good music out there. How do they stack up with U2?

Opinions vary, of course, but while we all know what U2 was up to in 1997, i really was not familiar with D2's work from that year. 

This video was apparently just released, i quite like the song, and the video is...out there 

“I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee”
Hebrews 13:5

riffraff

• We get to carry each other
Re: U2 vs D2
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 12:06:34 PM »
D2 definitely had some great moments, but no, I can't put them above U2. Not by a long shot. Just my opinion...
You ask me to enter, but then you make me crawl

Magnificence

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2021, 01:51:57 PM »
D2 definitely had some great moments, but no, I can't put them above U2. Not by a long shot. Just my opinion...

Well i wouldn't either necessarily but they do have some great moments.

When i saw this video released i mistakenly thought it was a new release, then realize it was a new video release of an old song (1997).

"If" D2 were making music like this now, then i would say that current D2 is a lot better than current U2, based on what we have heard.

riffraff

• We get to carry each other
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2021, 01:53:05 PM »
And, that would kinda be hard to argue with, but you know where my heart is!
You ask me to enter, but then you make me crawl

Magnificence

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2021, 02:08:25 PM »
Their 1997 album 'Medazzaland' has some good songs on there, i listened to it today. The only song i remember hearing prior was 'Electric Barbarella', which sounds like an 80's song even though it is not.

Medazzaland is fascinating to me, much like a lot of the 90s work from other bands. It part rock, part dance, part sci fi and special effects, all in one. It's no wonder music became boring after the turn of the century, many bands blew their collective load just before...

What an interesting time to be alive!

Larry Lovebucket

• If you shouldn't, don't.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2021, 02:17:57 PM »
Duran Duran are the superior band in my subjective opinion. However, as evidenced in the Heartland thread, they have also been proven objectively to be bigger than u2 for most of the 80s.

Willy

Pete the Chop

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 02:06:18 PM »
I used to listen to DD before I listened to U2 but that was a long time ago. When I was eight years old.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Goodbye, you can keep this suit of lights
I'll be up with the sun
I'm not coming down

Aviastar

• Hey, now...do you know my name?
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 04:54:11 PM »
U2 by a mile. U2 had a much more lasting legacy, much better songs, much larger influence..

I think I can name like 3 DD songs - maybe. Even in their peak they weren't as popular as numerous bands - Prince  & The Revolution, Van Halen, etc..
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 04:57:49 PM by Aviastar »
Hold on, people! The man's talking about waste management. That affects the whole damn planet.