When U2 & Brian Eno were "Passengers"

• 10 Replies

restofit

restofit

Re: When U2 & Brian Eno were "Passengers"
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 06:32:12 AM »
I think Always Forever Now is the best U2/Passengers studio piece that's never been played live. And for me personally, it honestly makes up my top five U2 and Passengers songs in existence, it's a very emotional track.

It's easy 9 for me. Great rhythm section, love that bass.. the atmosphere of it was unlike anything I'd heard before when I first put the album on. I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed listening to OST1 as I went to sleep even with the rising and falling structure of this track, building up to this noisy climax before suddenly stripping it down to just the bass/drums/fluttering synths etc, before the vocoder comes in.

Definitely the highlight for me on this album and listening to it again now it also makes me wish they'd go back and do stuff like this again. I genuinely thought they were inching towards some equivalent of OST 2 following NLOTH thanks to the much closer collaboration with Eno/Lanois on that album to the extent that they were equally credited as songwriters.

In all honesty, U2 haven't done anything quite as good as this since..

The groove simply kills.

In my view.. Mofo was possibly the last (U2 involved) studio track to match this outstanding piece of sonic brilliance!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 07:04:46 AM by restofit »

Pete the Chop

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 08:01:02 AM »
I also hope for OST2. Probably the only way to get something experimental from U2 again.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Goodbye, you can keep this suit of lights
I'll be up with the sun
I'm not coming down

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 09:22:08 AM »
pretty cool article:

https://www.culturesonar.com/when-u2-and-brian-eno-were-passengers/

Although only the most perverse of U2 fans would declare it their favorite album, it does showcase the ingenuity of a band uneager to rest on their impressive laurels.

Where’s Wookie? They’re talking about him.  ;D
First Chair. Last Call.

riffraff

• We get to carry each other
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 10:04:49 AM »
pretty cool article:

Although only the most perverse of U2 fans would declare it their favorite album, it does showcase the ingenuity of a band uneager to rest on their impressive laurels.

Too funny.
You ask me to enter, but then you make me crawl

Rising Sun

• spirit of the rising sun lift me up...
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 11:03:41 AM »
pretty cool article:

It’s my favorite U2 album too.  And yes, I consider it a U2 album.

I’d very much love to see and hear an anniversary edition/box set, outtakes, demos, “new” song, etc. and think it would make for a timely contemporary release with its emphasis on experimentation and film, even if imaginary in most cases. 

Larry Lovebucket

• If you shouldn't, don't.
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2021, 01:50:22 PM »
Passengers is excellent, despite having an awful cover. I prefer it to POP. And I prefer POP to everything that came after.

The period from AB > Zooropa > Passengers > POP was undoubtedly their high point

Pete the Chop

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 01:51:02 PM »
pretty cool article:

It’s my favorite U2 album too.  And yes, I consider it a U2 album.

I’d very much love to see and hear an anniversary edition/box set, outtakes, demos, “new” song, etc. and think it would make for a timely contemporary release with its emphasis on experimentation and film, even if imaginary in most cases.
What would be cool is an anniversary edition released together with a follow up Volume 2 Passengers album. Without the follow up album an anniversary edition wouldn't be commercial enough to be released.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Goodbye, you can keep this suit of lights
I'll be up with the sun
I'm not coming down

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2021, 03:25:12 PM »
few thoughts
1. Conspiracy theory is that Passengers vol. 2 is the No Line Album since Eno is named as band member.  Same group, different name.
2. Passengers is not U2.  U2 doesn't appear by name anywhere on the album.  Passengers is its own group.  U2 have since reclaimed the few good tracks from Passengers as their own, because of course they did (and the 90's greatest hits album needed more padding).
3. No one outside of a very few hardcore u2 fans want to see a follow-up or a re-release so the band won't consider it.  Truth is, only the hardcore fans even know of the Passenger's OS1 album.
4. No way i do i believe anyone likes the Passenger's one album over the entirety of the U2 discography.  It is my humble personal opinion that no one else can conceivably have that opinion.   ;)

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2021, 11:49:13 AM »
PAssengers on Vinyl badly needs re-issued. Perhaps a future RSD release? Now that is ONE album i would be real keen to pick up on RSD. not that my local record store takes part in the event now. As the owner (my mate) says....EVERY DAY is RSD
In the garden I was playing the tart
I kissed your lips and broke your heart
You
You were acting like it was the end of the world

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2021, 02:12:26 PM »
PAssengers on Vinyl badly needs re-issued. Perhaps a future RSD release? Now that is ONE album i would be real keen to pick up on RSD. not that my local record store takes part in the event now. As the owner (my mate) says....EVERY DAY is RSD
i'd probably shell out some cash for it on vinyl.  it is a collector's piece.