The Chaotic Rough Draft Thatís October

• 5 Replies

The Edges Cat

The Edge: ď[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ĎYou know what? Weíre not going to second-guess any of this. Letís just go for it.íĒ

U2 Fans: We'd all love to see that, Edge.

laoghaire

Re: The Chaotic Rough Draft Thatís October
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 09:15:09 AM »
Good read! Great quote from Steve:

U2 could have gone two ways after Boy. They could have broken out and gone bigger Ė but in fact what they did was they shrunk a little bit. They were a little bit scared of the world, I think.

The writer of the piece named some songs they thought werenít in keeping with the spiritual theme, lol.

Jswallow

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 04:22:56 AM »
https://youtu.be/LtbIqh2gYuggo

This is Slane 1981
Good read, I think Bono is a little hard on themselves when they supported Lizzy the performance is really energetic & they really get the crowd pumped up  it's also interesting to hear the songs before they were recorded some with different lyrics

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 04:54:52 AM by Jswallow »

Rising Sun

• spirit of the rising sun lift me up...
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2021, 11:26:15 AM »
October is a great record, I think, sublime and not over the top with some really good sounds, rhythms, and songs.  Thereís a couple I like less than others but overall I love it.

I had a cassette with Boy on one side and October on the other in 1981 or 1982 that was on endless play.  I had both records on vinyl too.

I feel like No Line On The Horizon, minus its clunkers, comes from the same vein as October. 

Larry Lovebucket

• If you shouldn't, don't.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 03:42:12 PM »
October is a great LP. It was a milestone in their transition to greatness. These days, of course theyíre either treading water or going backwards. Still, when youíre tax dodging multi millionaires making the effort probably seems less important.

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 05:14:12 PM »
Easily my least favorite album of theirs.  Just nothing there.