The Beatles vs The Stones

• 26 Replies

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
The Beatles vs The Stones
« on: April 22, 2021, 06:07:04 PM »
The age old question in music, the fab 4 from Liverpool or the worlds greatest rock n roll band from London.

Tale of the Tape

The Beatles: 20 Billboard #1ís, 183m certified albums sold in the U.S.

The Stones: 8 Billboard #1ís, 67m certified albums sold in the U.S.

The Look

The Beatles: matching suits, mop tops, the band your mother would be happy for you to bring home

The Stones: rag tag scruffy looking, the band your father would chase out of the house with a shotgun

Song that Sums Up Each Band

The Beatles: Let It Be

The Stones: Let It Bleed
Jealousy, it's not what it's cracked up to be
Envy, gets you where you need to be

Codeguy

• In the shadows
Re: The Beatles vs The Stones
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 06:11:07 PM »
I have never liked the Rolling Stones, other than a handful of their ballads. The Beatles from 1966 to 1970 on the other hand totally changed the face of music

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-------

Too tall to be a despot

So Cruel

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2021, 06:22:58 PM »
I have never liked the Rolling Stones, other than a handful of their ballads. The Beatles from 1966 to 1970 on the other hand totally changed the face of music

Someone needs a free afternoon, a case of beer, and copies of Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, and Exile on Main St.

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2021, 06:25:34 PM »

Iíve listened to both extensively.

The Beatles have been more influential, no doubt.

But The Stones have more songs I enjoy.

Tough call.

First Chair. Last Call.

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2021, 06:36:23 PM »
Stones all day every day and twice on a Sunday.

It is my view that The Beatles are the most ridiculously overrated band in history.

So Cruel

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 06:37:07 PM »
I do like the Beatles, but I find them to be somewhat over rated. Sgt. Pepper is hailed as a masterpiece but for me half of it is filler.

The Stones when they were at their peak (68-72) had maybe the best run of albums in rock history. These were songs released in that 4 year period by the Stones: Honkey Tonk Woman, Jumpin Jack Flash, Street Fighting Man, Sympathy for the Devil, Gimme Shelter, You Canít Always Get What You Want, Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, Canít You Hear Me Knocking, Tumblin Dice. And those were just the radio songs. Like U2 the Stones non-radio songs were in many cases better than the radio hits.

MPare1966

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 06:43:56 PM »

It is my view that The Beatles are the most ridiculously overrated band in history.

I disagree.

Just for the album format, which they basically invented, they deserve a lot of credit.
First Chair. Last Call.

So Cruel

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2021, 06:47:28 PM »

I disagree.

Just for the album format, which they basically invented, they deserve a lot of credit.

Youíre right, they do deserve a ton of credit for their influence and for blazing a trail, but in my opinion album wise even their best albums had too much filler.

MPare1966

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2021, 06:51:29 PM »

I disagree.

Youíre right, they do deserve a ton of credit for their influence and for blazing a trail, but in my opinion album wise even their best albums had too much filler.

I agree.

Stones have much better albums, but also had a longer career. Great run from the mid 60ís to early 80ís
First Chair. Last Call.

an tha

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2021, 06:55:42 PM »

I disagree.

Just never resonated with me and purely on songs and style they just don't deserve the level of reverence they get IMO.

It might not be a popular opinion, but it is one i very much stand by.

Yes they deserve credit and yes the blazed a trail, but purely based on the music they made they don't in my book deserve the demi gods status they have....a hell of a lot of their music was very safe, MOR stuff....very marketable, very popular - but to me dull and formulaic.

Their more experimental stuff is very hit and miss for me and a lot of it is not as clever as it is painted to be.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 07:00:23 PM by an tha »

riffraff

• We get to carry each other
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2021, 06:59:41 PM »
Have always loved music from both of these bands. Voted for the Stones, though.
You ask me to enter, but then you make me crawl

an tha

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2021, 07:07:17 PM »
I've never liked McCartney either....maybe its an age thing, but with The Beatles being done before i was even born the only memories i have of McCartney are this embarrassing dad rock character with his cheesy thumbs in the air character and his shite MOR songs.....and the teeth itching bad singalong of Hey Jude.

Probably unfair to judge The Beatles on that as well, and I try not to - but McCartney just makes me cringe.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 07:11:43 PM by an tha »

MPare1966

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2021, 07:08:18 PM »

I disagree.

Just never resonated with me and purely on songs and style they just don't deserve the level of reverence they get IMO.

It might not be a popular opinion, but it is one i very much stand by.

Yes they deserve credit and yes the blazed a trail, but purely based on the music they made they don't in my book deserve the demi gods status they have....a hell of a lot of their music was very safe, MOR stuff....very marketable, very popular - but to me dull and formulaic.

Their more experimental stuff is very hit and miss for me and a lot of it is not as clever as it is painted to be.

I have about the same feeling, overall, regarding their music. Itís mostly very easy listening, especially the early years. One thing that always impressed me, though, is the huge output in such a short career, not to mention the evolution of their music.

I havenít voted yet, btw.  ;)
First Chair. Last Call.

financeguy1

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2021, 12:48:44 AM »

You are like those Dublin people who slag off U2.

Achtung Baby

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2021, 01:57:20 AM »
My second and third favourite bands.  Slight nod to the Beatles here.  Much respect to the Stones for the longevity spanning so many decades.  Much respect to the Beatles for having the impact and output they did for the relatively short time they were a band.
We Get To Carry Each Other