Bad and Ode to My Family

• 6 Replies

Joerst

Bad and Ode to My Family
« on: April 19, 2021, 11:08:30 AM »
I hummed the melody of Bad and suddenly a melody in the verse sounded just like the one in Ode to My Family. A funny thing happens when you hum the lyrics: "True colors fly in blue and black, Bruised silken sky and burning flag".

I just wanted to share this because it was a pleasant surprise to me and I thought others might like to see this connection between the songs. I googled it, but I couldn't find anybody talking about this similarity in that part of the melody. It made me smile to think that Cranberries hid a U2 gem in plain sight.

This is my first time posting on this site. I love to see so much love for U2, because they are the band that has given me most joy. I need U2 like the desert needs rain. :)

riffraff

• Why did you offer your soul?
Re: Bad and Ode to My Family
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 11:41:27 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Joerst!
You speak of signs and wonders, but I need something other

The Exile

• The public enemy don't mean shit to Chuck D.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 01:24:48 PM »
I hummed the melody of Bad and suddenly a melody in the verse sounded just like the one in Ode to My Family. A funny thing happens when you hum the lyrics: "True colors fly in blue and black, Bruised silken sky and burning flag".

I just wanted to share this because it was a pleasant surprise to me and I thought others might like to see this connection between the songs. I googled it, but I couldn't find anybody talking about this similarity in that part of the melody. It made me smile to think that Cranberries hid a U2 gem in plain sight.

This is my first time posting on this site. I love to see so much love for U2, because they are the band that has given me most joy. I need U2 like the desert needs rain. :)

I never noticed it before, but now that I'm humming them I think you're on to something.

Speaking of, listen to Edge's final notes from any live performance of 11 O'Clock Tick Tock and hum Danger Zone by Kenny Loggins and start freaking out because they're exactly the same.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 01:26:31 PM by The Exile »
Listen as Hope and Peace try to rhyme,
Listen over marching bands playing out their time.

The Exile

• The public enemy don't mean shit to Chuck D.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 01:27:39 PM »
Listen as Hope and Peace try to rhyme,
Listen over marching bands playing out their time.

Codeguy

• In the shadows
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 01:26:52 PM »

Welcome to the forum Joerst. What does your username mean?
-------

Too tall to be a despot

SwimmingSorrows

• In a room full of martyrs, who gets the credit?
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 12:08:25 PM »
I also think the intro "do-do-do-dooo" melody sounds a lot like the outro to Pride. 

tortuga

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 01:11:36 AM »
I never noticed any of the Cranberries examples before but they are pretty much the same intervals.

In general, I notice this with songs quite a bit but often I can’t remember “that other song that goes like this.” When I finally remember it its like finishing a puzzle. Useless but rewarding.  One I noticed the other day was Milli Vanilli “Girl you know its true” and “you make Me feel brand new” by the Stylistics.