THE GENIUS OF ACHTUNG BABY BY U2

• 22 Replies

acrobat62

• I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme

riffraff

• Why did you offer your soul?
Re: THE GENIUS OF ACHTUNG BABY BY U2
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 02:10:33 PM »
It's still a good read...thanks for posting.
You speak of signs and wonders, but I need something other

Zoo adam

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 03:24:56 PM »
I found AB difficult as a teenager.

Had become a fan due to their 80's stuff. After a 3 year gap was expecting another JT which would have been quite happy with.

Lead single The Fly was ok. The video showed a different U2. Shades & leather outfits. Then I read the rest of the album was more difficult & they will be shredding more fans. However this was U2 & I was going to give it a chance.

After a few listens I realised it wasn't another JT but some songs I liked. The tour was something different & Bono was on the cover of every magazine. Unlike Simple Minds U2 had reinvented themselves for the 90's.

Eighteen months later & Z showed there really was no way back to Two Hearts Beat as One.

Achtung Baby

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 03:28:06 PM »
The album is fairly good!
We Get To Carry Each Other

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 03:30:38 PM »

Had become a fan due to their 80's stuff. After a 3 year gap was expecting another JT which would have been quite happy with.

Lead single The Fly was ok. The video showed a different U2. Shades & leather outfits. Then I read the rest of the album was more difficult & they will be shredding more fans. However this was U2 & I was going to give it a chance.

After a few listens I realised it wasn't another JT but some songs I liked. The tour was something different & Bono was on the cover of every magazine. Unlike Simple Minds U2 had reinvented themselves for the 90's.

Eighteen months later & Z showed there really was no way back to Two Hearts Beat as One.
I've always been a little curious how the musical change on AB hit some fans.  I became a fan in '95 so it was AB and TJT which hooked me in after the fact.

Zoo adam

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 03:54:06 PM »

I've always been a little curious how the musical change on AB hit some fans.  I became a fan in '95 so it was AB and TJT which hooked me in after the fact.

Was not expecting an AB. Their 80's stuff had been successful and acclaimed. So why change, espescially without consulting me!

Zoo adam

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 04:04:34 PM »
U2 remained pretty big in the early 90's. Although not as big as in the late 80's. Their 93 Wembley Stadium shows did not sell out.

Bands such as REM & Guns n Roses were considered bigger.

Not that U2 were bothered. AB & Z had been acclaimed as was the ZooTv tour.

Shank Asu

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 04:26:44 PM »
U2 remained pretty big in the early 90's. Although not as big as in the late 80's. Their 93 Wembley Stadium shows did not sell out.

Bands such as REM & Guns n Roses were considered bigger.

Not that U2 were bothered. AB & Z had been acclaimed as was the ZooTv tour.
I think U2 was on top of the world in the early 90's.  I wasn't yet into music when AB came out but i remember the 'older kids' in the neighborhood making me watch the video for EBTTRT and saying 'you HAVE to watch this'.

Zoo adam

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 04:45:02 PM »
U2's UK singles were not as big from AB as previously.

The Fly entered the charts at number 1. Which was no surprise. However MW & WGRYWH failed to make the top 10. EBTTRT made the top 10 after a remix.

But the ZooTv tour was a hell of a party.

Shank Asu

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 04:58:18 PM »
U2's UK singles were not as big from AB as previously.

The Fly entered the charts at number 1. Which was no surprise. However MW & WGRYWH failed to make the top 10. EBTTRT made the top 10 after a remix.

But the ZooTv tour was a hell of a party.
What about One?

Zoo adam

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 05:24:06 PM »
Was at the 87 & 93 Wembley Stadium shows. Totally different experiences.

In 87, the crowd were really loud and enthusiastic. U2 had conquered the world & everyone was riding the wave.

In 93 the crowd were very quiet. Some fans even gave Bono stick for stopping the music to do a video link.

The shows were very different but both good.

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 06:42:34 PM »

I was totally flabbergasted. But loved every note immediately.
First Chair. Last Call.

Shank Asu

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2021, 01:55:30 AM »

Was not expecting an AB. Their 80's stuff had been successful and acclaimed. So why change, espescially without consulting me!
i was always told growing up that the reason the beatles were so good is the fact they evolved and changed not just their music, but music in general.  i don't think u2 changed music but they definitely evolved.  i think they kind of rode current movements, but weren't ever at the forefront of the changes.

Shank Asu

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2021, 01:57:45 AM »

were you already a big fan before AB came out and if so, were you a bigger fan after AB?  TJT is still my favorite album because i think songs like WOWOY are just amazing and timeless and true.  AB build on it for me but there's not a single song on it that sticks with me like the songs from TJT or R&H.

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2021, 05:58:51 AM »

were you already a big fan before AB came out and if so, were you a bigger fan after AB?  TJT is still my favorite album because i think songs like WOWOY are just amazing and timeless and true.  AB build on it for me but there's not a single song on it that sticks with me like the songs from TJT or R&H.

Im a War child, Shank. It flows in my blood.

Then TUF/Live Aid cemented my devotion.

TJT brought the whole planet into the fold, but R&H chilled many. Not me.

AB was totally unexpected, and it brought my love of the band to stratospheric levels.
First Chair. Last Call.