These new songs then....

• 102 Replies

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
These new songs then....
« on: October 14, 2017, 08:20:32 AM »
I have to be honest and say i haven't heard any of them all the way through yet....

What are peoples thoughts on them?...

guest4

Re: These new songs then....
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 11:05:25 AM »
I've only heard You're The Best Thing, and The Little Things...I can't find the other new ones...I'm such a computer idiot. But, I love TLT...I think it's a sad song, at least that's my take on it...I could be wrong! You're The Best Thing is one of those fun, fun, fun songs that gets stuck in your head. May not be their best song ever (you know, like Elevation), but I like it.

OnlyU2

• Who's to say where the wind will take you
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 11:10:18 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHtSo7wTSV4&feature=youtu.be
You can hear Get Out Of Your Own Way around the 1 minute mark.  I love it!

Here's The BlackOut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5WDMattmmg
Who's to say where the wind will take you

guest4

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 11:16:53 AM »
Thanks, Only!
Just listened...Blackout sounds interesting...I like the chorus. I guess I'd heard bits of it before...Will reserve my opinion until I hear the studio version!
GOOYOW (is that right?) sounds like it might have promise...again, I'd rather wait until the studio version comes out.

il_capo

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 12:40:36 PM »
"Best Thing" came on when I was in the bank today - it's a bit ominous that a bank thinks it's the right kind of song to play to their customers.  Anyway,  I thought this song pretty dire when I first heard it, especially the gloss and sheen production, but I can't deny it gets in your head as it's so catchy.  That said, if someone introduced me to U2 and said "you'll love this band - try this" it wouldn't make me a fan.

ShadowMac

• The artist formerly known as tigerfan41
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 01:45:56 PM »
So far there's three new songs out there:

The Little Things That Give You Away
The Blackout
You're The Best Thing About Me

I really dig Little Things and Blackout. Little Things sounded nice when I heard it live in Pittsburgh, a little slow but honestly not a terrible show closer. Blackout I REALLY like and am excited to hear the album version of that song.

As for Best Thing...it's better than Boots, which I guess is a compliment. I mean lyrically I think the song is nice, we don't get a ton of U2 love songs so it's always cool to hear one. Musically I hate the second verse with that orchestral sound. I like the acoustic version of the song far more and think they should have went with a more stripped down approach to the single. I will say that the more I hear the song, the more it grows on me. I just wish they hadn't released this one as the single. Blackout would have been a better choice.

Waffles

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 03:10:40 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHtSo7wTSV4&feature=youtu.be
You can hear Get Out Of Your Own Way around the 1 minute mark.  I love it!

Here's The BlackOut
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5WDMattmmg

Don't judge Blackout on that video! That's not u2! That's the Coverband Achtung Babies!

Waffles

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 03:17:14 PM »
Little things= average 2000s u2. I like it but it's nothing crazy or experiemental. The soaring end I like a lot.

Blackout= u2 trying to find the 90s again. Some cringey lyrics but a really good beat. The chorus never really lifts off but it's a great song. My favorite part is "blackout, it's clear who you are will appear, blackout no fear". Very interesting. It's definitely a good direction but it doesn't seem to reach a climax as a song. You're waiting for the "I am not invisible I am here moment" but it never happens.

Best thing- sounds like an ATYCLB outake. The bridge of "why am I walking away" is a really nice contrast. But the song it's self is just very average u2 of the 2000s pop. Definitely one of the most joyous songs they've ever written like wild honey. At least they added more guitar to it compared to last years version.

Get out of your own way- seems like a political california based on what I've heard. I like the solo but I can tell a lot won't like it because it already sounds along the lines of SFS, California, etc. definitely mirrors "walk on"

I think we're going to get an average u2 album. Which is fine. We don't need another album but it's always cool to hear what they're doing. Blackout is a great 90s throwback. Little things is what's left of mercy. Best thing is ATYCLB.

Waffles

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 03:18:59 PM »
I've only heard You're The Best Thing, and The Little Things...I can't find the other new ones...I'm such a computer idiot. But, I love TLT...I think it's a sad song, at least that's my take on it...I could be wrong! You're The Best Thing is one of those fun, fun, fun songs that gets stuck in your head. May not be their best song ever (you know, like Elevation), but I like it.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/watch-u2s-live-music-video-for-new-song-the-blackout-w500297

The official video for blackout is in this article. Enjoy!

DoYouFeelLoved

• Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 03:40:18 PM »
I have to say I really like Little Things, if the studio version won't be overly polished/tweaked but mantains a rawer feeling it's gonna be a grower. I find the lyrics beautiful. They are also the saddest ever written by Bono. The melancholy hits hard on this... What can he possibly mean?

The Blackout seems a good song, nothing memorable, but it's hard to understand well what's going on with the crowd noise. It is still unclear to me if they used the studio version or it was a live performance with Bono's voice tweaked in post-production.

I find The Best Thing absolutely dreadful, one of the worst U2 songs ever made for me. I quite like the verse, but the chorus is grating and bloated. It doesn't help that the verse-chorus transition feels extremely weird with that abrubt key change.

Get Out of Your Own Way sounds promising from what we've heard so far.
Yeah it's pop, but not quite like TBT.
I dig the melodies and Edge's guitar is loud and clear, which was long missed.
If they have to make pop music, this is an acceptable way to do it for me.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 04:09:53 PM by DoYouFeelLoved »

Rising Sun

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 03:55:38 PM »
I like Little Things.  Kind of an old school crooner until it turns into a classic U2 slug/chime fest at the end.

The chorus of Get Out Of Your Own Way is catchy in a good way and I look forward to hearing the whole song.

I would love it if the chorus of Best Thing would stop going through my head.  It's catchy, yes, but annoying.

Both Best Thing and The Blackout seem kind of disjointed.

Sadly, I don't feel the usual U2 Christmas morning feeling about the album based on what I've heard so far, but that doesn't mean I won't love the rest.

It does seem unusual that they've let a fourth of the album kind of dribble out...  Not sure if we're supposed to think this represents what they think is the best of the album or if they're holding their aces close to the table.

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2017, 04:03:24 PM »
I am going to take the plunge with these new songs tomorrow....

The Ultra Beasts

• The abominations formerly known as WhenIsSOE
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 04:17:12 PM »
I am going to take the plunge with these new songs tomorrow....
Let me know how it goes!
Sign me petition to get some great missing albums on Spotify!
https://www.change.org/p/daniel-ek-bring-some-great-albums-to-spotify

guest20

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2017, 07:52:47 PM »
I'm not a massive fan of any of the new songs.

The Best Thing is way too poppy for my taste, and suffers from what I feel is a truly obnoxious chorus. The glisten-y production is very reminiscent of modern-day Coldplay (which is not a good quality to possess).

The Blackout is a bit less offensive than the other, but I can't say much with the brickwalled version of the song that's been released to us. Production aside, this song doesn't seem very promising to me...

Little Things is probably my favorite of the three. It's innocuous enough for me to tolerate, lyrically, however the instrumentation is incredibly bland. I'm bored of Edge's predictable piano-playing and wish that he would experiment with more syncopative rhythms instead of sitting on chords. Hopefully the studio version of this track has some more guitar involvement and allows for some room with the rhythm section (which is something that earlier live performances of Little Things had, but unfortunately was phased out in some of the more recent renditions that I have listened to).

I won't comment on GOOYOW because I've only heard the leaked snippet once and not even in its entirety.

Spacejunk

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2017, 03:27:59 AM »
I like The Blackout.