Wow, this place is dead

• 34 Replies

SlyDanner

Wow, this place is dead
« on: March 29, 2021, 03:40:54 PM »
Not exactly crickets... but close....

Any exciting rumors or wild guesses as to what happens next with the lads once we start to see pandemic 'exit momentum'?

The Exile

• The public enemy don't mean shit to Chuck D.
Re: Wow, this place is dead
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 03:49:06 PM »
Have they even been in a studio, together, over the last year? I haven't heard anything to make me think we will see new U2 material any time soon.
Listen as Hope and Peace try to rhyme,
Listen over marching bands playing out their time.

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 06:04:10 PM »
I thought Bono was suspiciously quiet considering everything going on with a US presidential election last year and the BLM movement.  I was fearful I'd hear Bono chip in that Antifa is an idea and the band would start selling postcards on their website with the Antifa logo or the phrase I Can't Breathe.
I got the feeling from Edge that they're not doing much.

Zeropartii

• Living Rent-Free in Your Head
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 08:32:34 PM »
Songs of Covid

riffraff

• A presence I can feel.
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 09:00:44 PM »
Songs of Covid
Hey, Zeri...I like the steak pic...but it needs some juicy red blood running on the plate to be really good! yummm
Don't believe in riches, but you should see where I live.

This Dave

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 10:55:38 PM »
Have they even been in a studio, together, over the last year? I haven't heard anything to make me think we will see new U2 material any time soon.

My understanding is that Ireland's lockdown has been very long and very strict. I'm sure U2 would take a TON of shit if it came out that they were meeting to record an album.

Although I'm the guy who thinks that the band was rarely in the same room together for SOE, so it's not like they couldn't all be doing parts remotely.

WookieeWarrior

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 10:57:01 PM »
Fake meat is an idea.

This Dave

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 11:02:32 PM »
I thought Bono was suspiciously quiet considering everything going on with a US presidential election last year and the BLM movement.  I was fearful I'd hear Bono chip in that Antifa is an idea and the band would start selling postcards on their website with the Antifa logo or the phrase I Can't Breathe.
I got the feeling from Edge that they're not doing much.

Thank god he kept his mouth shut during that time. It would have been the last straw for me as a fan, I think. Celebrities sitting in their guarded palaces telling us that struggling shop keepers "have insurance" as their life's work burns was not my favorite moment of 2020.

SlyDanner

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 11:53:58 PM »

agree.  and to me the most interesting question is what are they thinking... how are they evaluating their own landscape.... with the SOI release controversy, then a delayed SOE so they could cash in on a very mixed reception for the (soulless) JT30, and then a dud of an album with SOE and very cool reception to E+I Tour.  And that is on the back of a commercially (very) successful 360 tour but an album (NLOTH) that will be forgotten.  Not a great past 10 years and certainly no indicators of a late career renaissance... 

Do they think it's just about over?  Stubbornly persisting?  Interviewing 100 more producers...?

Larry Lovebucket

• If you shouldn't, don't.
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2021, 04:30:07 AM »
Lana Del Rey just recorded and released a superb new album during the last year. Iím sure u2 could be making music if they could be arsed.

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2021, 04:38:23 AM »
Lana Del Rey just recorded and released a superb new album during the last year. Iím sure u2 could be making music if they could be arsed.

Maybe a little easier for solo artists. Just look at Taylor Swift. Two albums while in confinement, one of them just won album of the year.
First Chair. Last Call.

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2021, 04:43:38 AM »

Maybe a little easier for solo artists. Just look at Taylor Swift. Two albums while in confinement, one of them just won album of the year.

I think itís a stretch to suggest LDR didnít use a cast of musicians for her latest record. U2, with all their resources could easily manage to make music.

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2021, 07:30:48 AM »

I think itís a stretch to suggest LDR didnít use a cast of musicians for her latest record. U2, with all their resources could easily manage to make music.

Difficult to pack the studio with the usual dozens of producers, sound engineers, mixers, etc...  ;D
First Chair. Last Call.

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2021, 08:40:42 AM »

Difficult to pack the studio with the usual dozens of producers, sound engineers, mixers, etc...  ;D

Only for a band who have completely lost their way. LDR is on her 7th album and still absolutely nailing it.

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2021, 09:30:59 AM »

Two very good albums too, featuring a lot of contributors. Meaning : itís possible if you want.

IMO U2ís next album is a sketch at best and the most energy theyíve spent is towards ZOO TV.
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...