Heartland on TJT

• 96 Replies

Zoo adam

Heartland on TJT
« on: March 21, 2021, 03:04:39 PM »
Heard that Heartland was recorded during TJT sessions.

Could it have been a twelth song?

For me it would have fitted in between the dark Exit and the mellow Mothers. Or after the up tempo RHMT.

Could it have replaced another song? Be serious, it's TJT!

The Exile

• The public enemy don't mean shit to Chuck D.
Re: Heartland on TJT
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 03:32:00 PM »
Heard that Heartland was recorded during TJT sessions.

Could it have been a twelth song?

For me it would have fitted in between the dark Exit and the mellow Mothers. Or after the up tempo RHMT.

Could it have replaced another song? Be serious, it's TJT!

I LOVE Heartland for so many reasons. I think it could have fit on TJT somewhere (thematically it obviously would), but I don't think it should necessarily replace any JT songs. People sometimes nominate TTYW as a candidate for replacement, but I think that track brings some lightheartedness to the album.

As an aside, in my alt-U2niverse, the R&H album was an album consisting of unused JT studio tracks and studio tracks recorded during the JT tour. So my R&H playlist has no live songs, but it does include songs like Luminous Times, Heartland, and Hallelujah Here She Comes. Better that way.
Listen as Hope and Peace try to rhyme,
Listen over marching bands playing out their time.

Zoo adam

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 03:50:40 PM »
Yes TTYW is worthy of a place on the album.

My alternative R & H would also have no live tracks. But back in 88, live albums were popular. Simple Minds released a double live album shortly before which was a big seller.

riffraff

• Please stay a child somewhere in your heart
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 04:22:50 PM »
Yeah, it should have made the album, for sure.
The end is not as fun as the start

Achtung Baby

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 05:35:20 PM »
Sweetest Thing could also have been on TJT.  Of course, it likely doesn't become known nearly as well as the released version ended up being.  There was really no need to replace anything on TJT though and Heartland fit in well on R&H.  Although U2 was obviously no stranger to albums with twelve tracks, those albums were all released post TJT.
We Get To Carry Each Other

riffraff

• Please stay a child somewhere in your heart
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 05:59:08 PM »
I still think Hawkmoon should have been on TJT.
The end is not as fun as the start

Larry Lovebucket

• If you shouldn't, don't.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2021, 06:42:15 PM »
Neartland is the standout tune on R&H. I donít think it belongs on TJT though. In the same way luminous times and walk to the water donít.

Zoo adam

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 06:01:51 AM »
I still think Hawkmoon should have been on TJT.

Was that recorded during TJT sessions?

Zoo adam

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 06:07:03 AM »
Sweetest Thing could also have been on TJT.  Of course, it likely doesn't become known nearly as well as the released version ended up being.  There was really no need to replace anything on TJT though and Heartland fit in well on R&H.  Although U2 was obviously no stranger to albums with twelve tracks, those albums were all released post TJT.

Edge said he wished ST had been on JT.

For me the 98 version would suit it more. It would be harmless enough as a 12th song.  Not another Yahwah but the weakest song on the album.

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2021, 06:10:00 AM »

For me the 98 version would suit it more. It would be harmless enough as a 12th song.  Not another Yahwah but the weakest song on the album.

I donít think either version of ST work for TJT. Itís too much of a novelty song for a fit.

Zoo adam

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2021, 06:10:47 AM »

Yes War & TUF were 10 tracks.

Maybe they thought jumping from 10 to 12 was too much, although they considered making TJT a double album.

Zoo adam

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2021, 06:39:45 AM »

I donít think either version of ST work for TJT. Itís too much of a novelty song for a fit.

Yes they didn't put it on any other albums either. Partly because it had already been a 1987 B side.

May have suited NLOTH or SOE. But the revamped version had already been a single. 

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2021, 07:33:12 AM »

Yes War & TUF were 10 tracks.

Maybe they thought jumping from 10 to 12 was too much, although they considered making TJT a double album.

They certainly had enough quality material to release a 16 songs double LP.
First Chair. Last Call.

John Galt

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2021, 11:01:19 AM »
Let's just accept The Joshua Tree as the masterpiece it is.  It couldn't have been improved upon.

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2021, 11:22:21 AM »
Let's just accept The Joshua Tree as the masterpiece it is.  It couldn't have been improved upon.

One could remove ITTYWís and ISHFWILF.