U2 in John Peel's collection

• 8 Replies

kango

U2 in John Peel's collection
« on: March 19, 2021, 07:10:14 PM »
A point of interest if you were a listener of or are interested in the legendary DJ John Peel. I just watched a doc about him and that made me visit his online archive (an ongoing project to share his 100,000 + record collection with everyone). I remember hearing he wasn't keen on U2 so didn't expect them to be there but it turns out he has most of the 80's work. With Boy and October, we can see scans of John's scoring system - stars denoting his favourites. Also incredibly, John would time every track on his LP's because he didn't trust in the official timings given on the sleeves. That is also shown.

https://www.johnpeelarchive.com/u2/boy
https://www.johnpeelarchive.com/u2/october

John also had a copy of The U2 Talkie which I must confess I've not heard (can anyone recommend?). He always typed up a card of notes / tracklisting for every record and his droll comment for this one is 'all interspersed with doubtless profound chat'. https://www.johnpeelarchive.com/u2/the-u2-talkie

Main link for the collection as seen on his shelves https://www.johnpeelarchive.com/albums/index.html?shelfNum=3
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 07:26:01 PM by kango »
Another Time, Another Forum

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
Re: U2 in John Peel's collection
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 07:46:28 PM »
John Peel was the first DJ to play PJ Harvey and was the first place I heard her...so for that reason he holds a big place in my affections.

He absolutely loved her - Dry placed in his Top 20 all time albums.

She was also the first artist to record a session for Peel at Peel Acres.

From below site - love this...

The DJ and the artist became great friends, even sharing a mutual admiration for Captain Beefheart. He describes having lunch with her and being so nervous that he talked through the entire meal, resolving to keep quiet on the next such occasion.

https://peel.fandom.com/wiki/PJ_Harvey

« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 07:58:27 PM by an tha »

an tha

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 07:53:15 PM »
From the same site here is the u2 page.

https://peel.fandom.com/wiki/U2

Some highlights:

Links to Peel

Peel first mentioned U2 on 16 October 1979 when he asked the band to send him another copy of their record:

"And at this stage I would have played a 12" 45 by another Dublin band, U2, and I was given two copies of this earlier in the week, but if anybody from U2 is listening, both copies were far too warped for me to ever possibly play on the radio. So I'd like another copy of it certainly, because what little bit of it I could hear sounded rather good. Some good bands over there actually, because I saw Zebra and U2 and a few other bands last year sometime I think, and I'm surprised it's taken them this long to get onto record."

He played some of U2's records between 1979 and 1983, going as far as to mention that having met them in 1981 thought that they were "nice lads", but later became disillusioned with their music (as he did with other artists such as Simple Minds and Dire Straits who restyled their acts in order to court celebrity in America) and would in later years deny having ever liked them or played their material.

Peel 008 (BFBS): A request for U2 produces a derisive snort from JP.

1987 snippet (Rockradio): "And as I say I should be back in two weeks time, unless the Rockradio bosses say, 'eugh we were expecting lots of U2 and Simple Minds and we haven't got it, and we don't want any more of this. In which case, goodbye...."

03 February 1990 (BFBS): "I don't hate 'em [the police], not as much as I hate U2 and Dire Straits, or did back in those days, but they were never particular favourites of mine."

19 May 1990 (BFBS) (Peel 144 (BFBS)): "I've never been terrifically keen on the work of U2, although somebody wrote and told me the other day that when they first started out I used to play their records all the time. I'm sure I didn't: I mean, I never liked 'em. Anyway, it seems I'm not alone in this, because on the new LP from Last Party, there's a track called Jesus Hates U2... Well, the lyrics don't seem to imply divine disregard for the prosperous Irish combo, but the title is written in such a way as to imply that that's what they have in mind."

11 November 1994: After saying he "avoids self indulgence like he would a U2 gig", John nevertheless plays a track by his son Tom.

26 August 1995 (BFBS): John gets quite worked up about the fact that Wawali Bonane and Mav Cacharel have stopped making music, stating that he would rather have new material by them than anything more by U2.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 07:55:44 PM by an tha »

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 08:12:10 AM »
I mainly know John Peel because he made some of the best Smiths recordings, so... it would have been great to see U2 do a Peel session. Just as they didnít do enough BBC sessions.
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

an tha

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 08:17:46 AM »
I mainly know John Peel because he made some of the best Smiths recordings, so... it would have been great to see U2 do a Peel session. Just as they didnít do enough BBC sessions.

You couldn't rock up at a Peel session with 200 computers or decks with all the pre recorded parts, sounds etc and the army of bodies operating it all.

There is a reason u2 have hardly any of these sort of performances in their careers outside of their own tightly controlled and heavily augmented 'own conditions'.

John Galt

• Free Britney
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 08:28:53 AM »
John probably thought U2 were a great band until they sold out after Boy.

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 08:29:30 AM »
They could have, in the 80ís.

The BBC sessions they did for Boy, October and War are very good.
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

John Galt

• Free Britney
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2021, 08:35:46 AM »
I would have thought War would be too commercial for John.

kango

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2021, 10:31:17 AM »
I have to wonder if he disliked them that intently, why he kept five of their albums, especially The Joshua Tree which must have represented everything he didn't like. The only reason would be as investment items as he would have got some of the first pressings but that doesn't seem his style.
Another Time, Another Forum