- U2 Malahide  ???

First Chair. Last Call.

Magnificence

• At the end of the storm there's a Golden Sky
Re: Former names of U2
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2021, 09:34:14 AM »
"Adam Clayton group leader" 

Well that was funny.  ;D

Malahide is an affluent coastal settlement in Fingal, County Dublin, Ireland, situated approximately 18 km north-east of Dublin city. It has a village center surrounded by suburban housing estates, with a population over 16,000. Wikipedia.

I wonder whatever happened to Rockster and Harmony. Guess they never made it big. Obviously Limerick Civic Week Pop 78 Competition was a must win if you wanted to conquer the world. Perhaps we now know where the band went for inspiration in naming their 9th studio album  :o
He was in the world, and the world was made by Him, and the world knew Him not.

John 1:10

riffraff

• A presence I can feel.
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2021, 10:32:59 AM »

Well that was funny.  ;D

Malahide is an affluent coastal settlement in Fingal, County Dublin, Ireland, situated approximately 18 km north-east of Dublin city. It has a village center surrounded by suburban housing estates, with a population over 16,000. Wikipedia.

I wonder whatever happened to Rockster and Harmony. Guess they never made it big. Obviously Limerick Civic Week Pop 78 Competition was a must win if you wanted to conquer the world. Perhaps we now know where the band went for inspiration in naming their 9th studio album  :o
Well, Adam was their first "manager"...from what we've read, he was the one who worked so hard to get them a few gigs at the beginning. "Group leader"...hmmmm, that's questionable!
Don't believe in riches, but you should see where I live.

Codeguy

• In the shadows
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 11:49:11 AM »
They started out with country music lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-------

Too tall to be a despot

financeguy1

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 01:48:57 PM »

Well that was funny.  ;D

Not quite sure what significance of Malahide was to U2 tbh...maybe it was simply emblematic of a 'shining city on a hill' as it is was most affluent area of the northside.

Magnificence

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 03:51:24 PM »

Well that was funny.  ;D

Not quite sure what significance of Malahide was to U2 tbh...maybe it was simply emblematic of a 'shining city on a hill' as it is was most affluent area of the northside.

Was Adam Clayton from a well off family by chance? Or is he the one who was thrown out of school and later on in life bought a house on the hill overlooking that very school? 

financeguy1

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2021, 05:38:14 PM »

Well that was funny.  ;D

Was Adam Clayton from a well off family by chance? Or is he the one who was thrown out of school and later on in life bought a house on the hill overlooking that very school?

Yes actually it's possible he might have grown up in Malahide, I can't remember. That school was on the other side of the city, I think he was a boarder. The school and house  - Danesmoate - where they recorded much of The Joshua Tree, are on the southside. Opposite end of the city to Malahide. When he was expelled he was sent to Mount Temple, that's were he met the others.

Magnificence

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 05:56:39 PM »

Well that was funny.  ;D

Yes actually it's possible he might have grown up in Malahide, I can't remember. That school was on the other side of the city, I think he was a boarder. The school and house  - Danesmoate - where they recorded much of The Joshua Tree, are on the southside. Opposite end of the city to Malahide. When he was expelled he was sent to Mount Temple, that's were he met the others.

I guess it was fate that he was expelled then otherwise u2 would be far less interesting or sophisticated  8)

The Exile

• The public enemy don't mean shit to Chuck D.
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 06:23:19 PM »
- The Larry Mullen Band
- Feedback
- The Hype
- U2 Malahide  ???

This was actually their peak. Everything since then is a watered-down footnote.
Listen as Hope and Peace try to rhyme,
Listen over marching bands playing out their time.

THRILLHO

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 06:44:37 PM »
...U2 Malahide..? really? never heard that one

John Galt

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 08:58:16 AM »
They probably assumed Adam was the band leader on account of his English accent.

Magnificence

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 10:12:15 AM »
They probably assumed Adam was the band leader on account of his English accent.

;D

financeguy1

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2021, 11:08:31 AM »
It turns out that, yes, Adam grew up in Malahide.

In 1987 she was in a relationship with Adam Clayton, the bass player with U2. “I cared a lot for him, and we enjoyed being in each other’s company.”

She stayed with him at his parents’ house in Malahide, Co Dublin, the night before U2 flew off to America on the Joshua Tree tour in April. “I went to the airport to wave them off. We decided to call it a day shortly after that.”

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/everyone-saw-me-as-a-party-girl-but-inside-i-wasnt-happy-how-clannads-moya-brennan-turned-tragedy-into-triumph-40217963.html

Magnificence

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2021, 02:02:30 PM »
It turns out that, yes, Adam grew up in Malahide.

In 1987 she was in a relationship with Adam Clayton, the bass player with U2. “I cared a lot for him, and we enjoyed being in each other’s company.”

She stayed with him at his parents’ house in Malahide, Co Dublin, the night before U2 flew off to America on the Joshua Tree tour in April. “I went to the airport to wave them off. We decided to call it a day shortly after that.”

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/everyone-saw-me-as-a-party-girl-but-inside-i-wasnt-happy-how-clannads-moya-brennan-turned-tragedy-into-triumph-40217963.html

Good find, Sir