Edge 1987 Interview

• 5 Replies

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....

WookieeWarrior

Re: Edge 1987 Interview
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2021, 02:37:32 PM »
I almost busted out laughing when the first thing I see is the pull quote, "I will never play without effects, because they're too much a part of what I do as a player. I rely on being creative with sound"

Doesn't even seem like the same person! It's also a bit funny he mentions using the DX7... I couldn't imagine those sounds on a U2 record (seems like he couldn't either).

I thought this was interesting: "unlike Bono, who has quietly stopped listing his surname as 'Vox'"

Did Bono go by Bono Vox for a considerable portion of the '80s? I thought that died even before Boy.

The Exile

• The public enemy don't mean shit to Chuck D.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 03:01:44 PM »
I almost busted out laughing when the first thing I see is the pull quote, "I will never play without effects, because they're too much a part of what I do as a player. I rely on being creative with sound"

Doesn't even seem like the same person! It's also a bit funny he mentions using the DX7... I couldn't imagine those sounds on a U2 record (seems like he couldn't either).

I thought this was interesting: "unlike Bono, who has quietly stopped listing his surname as 'Vox'"

Did Bono go by Bono Vox for a considerable portion of the '80s? I thought that died even before Boy.

Yeah pretty sure no one has called him Bono Vox since the very early '80s. I became a fan in '83 and a rabid fan in '87, and no one was calling him that in the media or music press back then, at least not in the US.
Listen as Hope and Peace try to rhyme,
Listen over marching bands playing out their time.

kango

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 06:51:18 PM »
Didn't the NME writers keep using the Vox for a while, maybe spanning the first three albums? I think it was a British press thing.
Another Time, Another Forum

John Galt

• Free Britney
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2021, 06:53:57 PM »
I think Bono Vox was only ever used by a few close friends in the 1970s.

Ito Okashi

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2021, 08:40:48 PM »
What's funny is that here in Brazil people (including journalists) call him Bono Vox even today.