The 'No Line On The Horizon is overrated' thread.

• 98 Replies

restofit

The 'No Line On The Horizon is overrated' thread.
« on: March 09, 2021, 04:39:41 AM »
This was thread idea was suggested by an tha some time ago, & I was meaning to get round to doing it so I'll thought I'd make a start today.

Overrated by whom.. you might ask?

Members of Talk U2 forums & the more dedicated U2 fandom in general.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 05:49:14 AM by restofit »

restofit

Re: The 'No Line On The Horizon is overrated' thread.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 04:50:41 AM »
(disclaimer - I'm not going to put this lightly..)

This is possibly the worst U2 album ever, by a wide margin.

11 songs in search of a hook, and never actually finding one. "Magnificent" tries so hard...I remember the first time I heard it, I kept waiting for the chorus to come in after the "only love..." part, and...then nothing?

Unfortunately, the album was basically a complete miss for everyone. While Magnificent is a redeeming track (in parts) it fall flat before the chorus hits. It's a pop song that spends 5 and a half minutes searching, reaching for a solid hook, and never finding one. It's like...a series of pre-choruses in search of the real chorus, and then after 5 minutes, giving up (as a matter of fact.. this describes most of the record..)

One of my favorite parts of the album is the first 60 or 90 seconds of the song, before Bono sings the first 'magnificent' line. But that intro is most definitely the product Eno/Lanois rather than U2 anyway..

Moment of Surrender has its defenders, but I find it a boring slog (and the ATM Machine lyric has to be on a dubious short-list for one of Bono's worst). All the other tracks are about 30-45 seconds of Brian Eno noodling about before a very generic 4 minute song ensues. The slow songs on the 2nd-side are entirely tuneless.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 05:50:26 AM by restofit »

Larry Lovebucket

• If you shouldn't, don't.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 04:56:56 AM »
I think NLOTH stands out because the LPís itís surrounded by are rubbish. Contrasted with Bomb itís a masterpiece. The title track is decent enough and the first half of MOS is excellent as is cedars. I agree about the ATM lyric. The rest of it is somewhere between the worst music theyíve ever made (boots, UC etc) and average (Breathe, Magnificent).

Plus the 360 tour was absolute garbage.

But to say itís the worst when Bomb, most of ATYCLB and SOI exist is not correct, IMO.

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 05:01:38 AM »
Also most of R&H is garbage, too.

restofit

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 05:14:25 AM »

But to say itís the worst when Bomb, most of ATYCLB and SOI exist is not correct, IMO.

I'd have to disagree, simply because those albums at least had some great songs & melodies to back them up.  Meanwhile NLOTH, in-contrast, goes 11 songs in search of a hook, and never actually finding one, which is quite impressive.

Let's see..

Positives:
- ehh... I'm struggling here. I guess 'Cedars of Lebanon' is good.

Negatives:
- boring-ass sleeve.
- worst-recorded / performed Bono vocals ever.
- schizophrenic nature of the confused track-listing, varying from U2-by-numbers to wannabe rockers that fall-flat to adolescent pop.
- worst-trio of U2 songs ever in sequence.
- lyrics.
- Edge.
- dull melodies.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 05:54:09 AM by restofit »

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 05:17:53 AM »
(disclaimer - I'm not going to put this lightly..)

This is possibly the worst U2 album ever, by a wide margin.

11 songs in search of a hook, and never actually finding one. "Magnificent" tries so hard...I remember the first time I heard it, I kept waiting for the chorus to come in after the "only love..." part, and...then nothing?

Unfortunately, the album was basically a complete miss for everyone. While Magnificent is a redeeming track (in parts) it fall flat before the chorus hits. It's a pop song that spends 5 and a half minutes searching, reaching for a solid hook, and never finding one. It's like...a series of pre-choruses in search of the real chorus, and then after 5 minutes, giving up (as a matter of fact.. this describes most of the record..)

One of my favorite parts of the album is the first 60 or 90 seconds of the song, before Bono sings the first 'magnificent' line. But that intro is most definitely the product Eno/Lanois rather than U2 anyway..

Moment of Surrender has its defenders, but I find it a boring slog (and the ATM Machine lyric has to be on a dubious shortlist for one of Bono's worst). All the other tracks are about 30-45 seconds of Brian Eno noodling about before a very generic 4 minute song ensues. The slow songs on the 2nd side are entirely tuneless.

Had to bail on this post at 'hooks'

an tha

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 05:24:53 AM »
I think NLOTH stands out because the LPís itís surrounded by are rubbish. Contrasted with Bomb itís a masterpiece. The title track is decent enough and the first half of MOS is excellent as is cedars. I agree about the ATM lyric. The rest of it is somewhere between the worst music theyíve ever made (boots, UC etc) and average (Breathe, Magnificent).

The 360 shows i saw were probably the worst stadium gigs i have ever seen and that stage...an utter abomination....it actually managed to dwarf the band, kill any intimacy (as much as you can get intimacy in a stadium) offered awful sight lines and frankly should have been killed at the point it first got doodled on a napkin....

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2021, 05:27:30 AM »

The 360 shows i saw were probably the worst stadium gigs i have ever seen and that stage...an utter abomination....it actually managed to dwarf the band, kill any intimacy (as much as you can get intimacy in a stadium) offered awful sight lines and frankly should have been killed at the point it first got doodled on a napkin....

Yup. One of the worst gigs Iíve ever seen. I left before the encores.

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2021, 05:29:46 AM »
Sponsored by Blackberry too. I thought that was bad. Nothing could prepare me for that excruciating performance at the Apple keynote though.

an tha

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 06:37:31 AM »

The stadiums being plastered in 'Blackberry loves u2' signs was vomit inducing....they were everywhere.

Ironically both blackberry and u2 were irrelevant shortly after

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 06:39:33 AM »
You guys having fun yet?
First Chair. Last Call.

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2021, 06:42:40 AM »

The stadiums being plastered in 'Blackberry loves u2' signs was vomit inducing....they were everywhere.

Ironically both blackberry and u2 were irrelevant shortly after

Yes the move represented a clear change of direction for the band. From that moment on they descended into corporate sponsorship. I remember looking at the tube posters for 360 and thinking why the fuck are blackberry sponsoring that. Didnít stop me buying a ticket though. Although it would be the last time I ever went to a u2 gig or brought a u2 album.

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2021, 07:52:55 AM »
At the Vancouver show I was pretty shocked to see Blackberry kiosks and signs. Very let down to see the band shilling for them. Then to top it off we got Bono wishing Bill Gates a Happy Birthday and the speech to accompany it.

No Line is their worst effort. I like 2 songs on it: No Line and Moment of Surrender.
Jealousy, it's not what it's cracked up to be
Envy, gets you where you need to be

John Galt

• Free Britney
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2021, 07:56:39 AM »
God walked into the room on this album.

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2021, 08:14:18 AM »
God walked into the room on this album.

Donít get restofit started on god ffs