When is the new album out?

• 87 Replies

Zoo adam

When is the new album out?
« on: March 06, 2021, 04:38:02 AM »
The regular question every few years on U2 forums.  It's 4 years since SOE.

They did say they had completed an album & were going to release it after Covid. With vaccinations taking place, seems like a good time to release a couple of promo songs.

An album can follow in the summer. A tour later in the year or in 2022.

Whenever a tour happens it will be huge, it's U2 & people will want to attend concerts again. If the new songs are good, fans will want to hear them live.

There has been no long JT tour. Biden was elected in 2020 which was predicted. So they can't justify a delay on these grounds.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 07:19:03 AM by Zoo adam »

riffraff

• Dislocated, suffocated
Re: When is the new album out?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 06:31:48 AM »
I'm not holding my breath.

Well, maybe I am, just a little...
No spoken words, just a scream

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2021, 08:47:27 AM »
Another valid question could be who actually wants a new u2 album?

Unless there is a sea change from them, i'd say saying 'no not bothered' would be a reasonable position to take.

I personally think they are done and should call it a day.

riffraff

• Dislocated, suffocated
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 08:49:19 AM »
Grumpy old man. PAH

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 10:48:40 AM »
I loved SOE. Not my favorite album by far but I liked it more than SOI and I think it contains a few wonderful songs. Hence I want to hear the follow up.

That said... I’m not holding my breath. U2 is one of the very few artists that have not produced anything worthy of interest since the start of the pandemic. I think it’s a sign they’re not contemplating releasing anything unless they’re sure they can tour.

Of course I could be wrong and they’re planning to surprise us soon. But I very much doubt that.
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 11:20:09 AM »
The first sign will be when Adam shaves. Until then, stay calm.
First Chair. Last Call.

riffraff

• Dislocated, suffocated
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 11:54:27 AM »
Calmness is not in my nature...

(and I really don't want him to shave!)

The Exile

• The public enemy don't mean shit to Chuck D.
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 01:28:59 PM »
Personally I don't think they have lifted a finger toward recording a new album. I don't expect any new material for several years.
Listen as Hope and Peace try to rhyme,
Listen over marching bands playing out their time.

Magnificence

• At the end of the storm there's a Golden Sky
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 01:38:01 PM »
Well they did put out the multiple Grammy winning and international mega super hit 'Ahisma', so hopefully they can build off of it's success and release a full album in that vein
“I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee”
Hebrews 13:5

Achtung Baby

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 03:31:48 PM »
Probably need to be mindful of not having too much time in between an album release and the start of a tour.  Some bands and artists have tour dates lined up for this year.  Have to see if and how those go first.  Even an arena tour will be a good number of people packed into a certain amount of space.   
We Get To Carry Each Other

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 03:45:14 PM »
Probably need to be mindful of not having too much time in between an album release and the start of a tour.  Some bands and artists have tour dates lined up for this year.  Have to see if and how those go first.  Even an arena tour will be a good number of people packed into a certain amount of space.   
I beg to differ...

Now would be the perfect moment for U2 to release a spontaneous album and... not tour. Just for the sake of it. And I’m sure they would be very good at it. But I don’t think they’ll do it.
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

Zoo adam

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2021, 04:13:53 PM »
They don't really need to tour to promote a new album. Chances are that everyone inside a stadium has already bought, downloaded or listened to it on Youtube.

Touring brings in the big bucks and they like touring. They can tour at anytime and play songs from a new album. Fans will always go. Even if it is to hear Streets again.

So don't see what's stopping them release something. They can still promote it on TV shows & in the media.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 04:15:36 PM by Zoo adam »

Achtung Baby

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2021, 04:21:47 PM »
I beg to differ...

Now would be the perfect moment for U2 to release a spontaneous album and... not tour. Just for the sake of it. And I’m sure they would be very good at it. But I don’t think they’ll do it.

Good points.  I can't see them releasing an album and not touring it.  That wouldn't be a criticism on my part either.
We Get To Carry Each Other

Zoo adam

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2021, 05:37:04 PM »
I suppose if U2 have to venture out to promote an album, they will want to go the whole hog.

This will be promo videos, a guest slot on Fallon/Kimmel etc & media interviews. Then straight into a huge tour.

They won't want to do the first things, then have to sit around indefinately waiting for the green light to tour.

Zoo adam

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2021, 09:43:01 AM »
U2 have been going too long & are too big to change their routine & they won't feel under pressure to do so.

So when other bands are touring throughout the world to big crowds that are not social distancing, they will awaken.