Best and or Worst band member changes

• 16 Replies

acrobat62

• I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
Best and or Worst band member changes
« on: March 05, 2021, 11:36:56 AM »
Some band member replacement have shined, other total failure.  What are your thoughts on the topic.  Here are a couple that come to mind.

Niel Peart for John Rutsey drummers for Rush.  While Rutsey appears on only one album their first, it's clear that Peart helped shepherd Rush into a new and well defined direction as well as being recognized as one of rocks best drummers.

Sammy Hagar for DLR, ok this one will be a bit controversial for some, but for me the DLR VH version has much more rawness and un-refinement as well as swagger that the SH version misses.  Sure the SH version had more commercial success, but that does not in itself mean they were better, a discussion for other threads already out there. 

What are some of your favorite and or least favorite band changes?

riffraff

• Please stay a child somewhere in your heart
Re: Best and or Worst band member changes
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 12:19:43 PM »
I'm one of those who prefer Sammy over DLR...while admitting that Roth put on one hell of a show.

I don't remember his name, but the replacement for Steve Perry of Journey is awesome.
The end is not as fun as the start

Larry Lovebucket

• If you shouldn't, don't.
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 12:37:22 PM »
Larry appears to have been replaced by Tilda Swinton. Does that count?

John Galt

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 12:45:07 PM »
Musically, Ronnie Wood didn't fill Mick Taylor's boots in the Rolling Stones.

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 12:54:48 PM »
Ian Astbury was no substitute for Jim Morrison

THRILLHO

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2021, 06:45:38 PM »
I'm one of those who prefer Sammy over DLR...while admitting that Roth put on one hell of a show.

I don't remember his name, but the replacement for Steve Perry of Journey is awesome.

there were a few, do you mean Arnel Pineda? the current singer? hes been with them for over a decade i guess

riffraff

• Please stay a child somewhere in your heart
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2021, 07:31:15 PM »

there were a few, do you mean Arnel Pineda? the current singer? hes been with them for over a decade i guess
Yes, I believe that's the name.
The end is not as fun as the start

Achtung Baby

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2021, 08:08:51 PM »
What about Van Cherone?  :)

Does Ringo Starr in for Pete Best count?  I'd guess not.
We Get To Carry Each Other

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 01:13:55 PM »
Larry appears to have been replaced by Tilda Swinton. Does that count?
Oi....leave Tilda alone. She is practically a neighbout of mine  ;)
In the garden I was playing the tart
I kissed your lips and broke your heart
You
You were acting like it was the end of the world

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 01:16:24 PM »
Simple Minds have NEVER been the same since Mick Mcneil left. Especially this past decade or so...its just not Simple Minds anymore!

I havent enjoyed the JAMES line up this past while. Mind you, i havent really been a fan of anything they have done since reforming, in 2007.
You

imaginary friend

• 💉 💉 Pandemic Boogaloo
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 04:39:39 PM »
Simple Minds have NEVER been the same since Mick Mcneil left. Especially this past decade or so...its just not Simple Minds anymore!

Agreed. MacNeil had something irreplaceable musically.

I guess this is going to start with a few candidates for worst...Jordan Rudess for Derek Sherinian for Kevin Moore, Dream Theater. Sherinian was a way better keyboardist than Moore, and DT made their last great album with him, but Moore made the rest of the band better. Rudess replaced Sherinian, and DT's been on a downhill slide ever since - despite Rudess being arguably the best overall keys player on the planet.

Brian Johnson for Bon Scott. Ok, Bon died, and it's known that he was a fan of Johnson's before anyone else in AC/DC had ever heard of him, but Bon was one of a kind.

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

pick a station anywhere   http://radio.garden/listen/magic-fm/82GNMn3f

add some fun to your life while learning about music:   https://codepen.io/jakealbaugh/full/qNrZyw

Codeguy

• In the shadows
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2021, 04:56:02 PM »
Given the solo career of Dik Evans, I'd say getting him out of U2 was a good move :-)

Peter Gabriel leaving Genesis was pretty miserable

Obviously the death of Ian Curtis and the whole Joy Division/New Order thing was terrible

I couldn't care less about Van Halen so the whole Hagar Roth thing doesn't appeal to me as anything
-------

Too tall to be a despot

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2021, 10:27:22 AM »
Given the solo career of Dik Evans, I'd say getting him out of U2 was a good move :-)

Obviously the death of Ian Curtis and the whole Joy Division/New Order thing was terrible

I couldn't care less about Van Halen so the whole Hagar Roth thing doesn't appeal to me as anything
Were you not a fan after Phil Collins stepped us as lead singer? Genesis are not a band i really know, apart from their 80s hits. I have a double "Best of" Genisis CD, i have yet to spin. I was just craving something out of my comfort zone, to listen to
You

imaginary friend

• 💉 💉 Pandemic Boogaloo
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2021, 10:50:32 AM »

Were you not a fan after Phil Collins stepped us as lead singer? Genesis are not a band i really know, apart from their 80s hits. I have a double "Best of" Genisis CD, i have yet to spin. I was just craving something out of my comfort zone, to listen to

Genesis' best run was from Trick of the Tail through Abacab - the first 6 or so albums after Peter left.
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

pick a station anywhere   http://radio.garden/listen/magic-fm/82GNMn3f

add some fun to your life while learning about music:   https://codepen.io/jakealbaugh/full/qNrZyw

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2021, 01:13:33 PM »

Dik was in a better band than u2 have ever been. Namely the Virgin Prunes