Alternative mixes

• 124 Replies

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
Alternative mixes
« on: March 02, 2021, 02:10:54 AM »
Weíve had this little talk, over at the remixes thread, about alternative mixes : attempts at proposing the best version of the song (instead of a remix, which is a totally different tale on the song).

Alternative mixes, in my experience, are the result of :
-Mistakes in mixing / mastering / editing a recording
-U2 having trouble finishing stuff, trying to improve with a new mix
-releasing demo version (or raw sketches)

What I propose here, is that we post every alternate mix we know of. Iím pretty sure many of us will discover new things.

Just so weíre clear : an alternate mix is something that the band was involved in, not a bootleg from an obscure DJ in need of exposure :-)
Iíll ask to exclude the Salomť tapes too (Iíll make another try read about this soon).

When itís possible, itís better if we can provide a link but something tells me it wonít always be possible.
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
Re: Alternative mixes
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 02:13:44 AM »
First off is the original version of Twilight, which came out as a b-side for Another Day.

This one is funny because Edge and Adam actually mess up from the start and manage to get back on their feet.

Vocals are a testimony of Bonoís ę the fool Ľ character.

For those of you who donít think Steve Lillywhite was instrumental in inventing U2ís sound, well... there you go :

« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 03:33:16 AM by Soloyan »

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 03:45:56 AM »
Second example is New Year's Day... I guess everyone is familiar with the album version (5:36) and the single edit (3:54). If my memory is correct, they used the single edit on the "18 singles" and "1980-1990" best of releases.

Here's the alternate mix. This one is very subtle. The difference with the album mix is less than 2 seconds. I'll let you try and find it. If you want to play, don't read what's under the video :

The difference occurs just before the guitar solo, at approximately 3:30 in the video. Just count the number of times Larry hits the snare drum between the last piano note and the first guitar solo note. On the single edit and the album version it's 1 and here it's 3. That's it. They cut it short for drama effect. I first noticed it when I got the "gold disc" version of War. It was already on the 12" vinyl, apparently, but I had not payed attention (or had not played the A side at all).

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 04:08:55 AM »
Since we're speaking gold discs... Here's an alternate mix for Seconds. No surprise, here. The longer part is the excerpt from "Soldier Girls".

To end it with gold discs, I'll add that the Joshua Tree had a slightly different mix of "Mothers of the Disappeared", with the ending higher in volume than before. That's the version that's on the remastered versions too.

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 04:21:11 AM »
Couldn't find the audio for this one but it's on the "best of 1990-2000", so easy to find.

During Mysterious Ways, instead of singing "she sees the man inside the child", Bono sings "I know the question, she knows why".

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 04:57:35 AM »
Fantastic thread idea, Soloyan. My kind of thread, really.   :D

If I may add to your criteria; another exemple would be when the band records an entire different version of a song, most famous case being the Please single. An acoustic version (think EBW) would also fall in this category, I believe. Basically, I think we can put in the category of alternative mixes, anything in which the band was directly involved. Single edits (usually done for radio airplay) would also be considered alternative mixes.

On the other hand, a remix is found when a) another producer (ex. William Orbit for ES) independently remixes a song or b) when a professional DJ (ex.Paul Oakenfold with the Perfecto remixes) makes his own totally new take on a song, using official audio stems provided by the band, and adding various other elements.

Agreed?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 05:02:49 AM by MPare1966 »
First Chair. Last Call.

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 05:57:46 AM »
Fantastic thread idea, Soloyan. My kind of thread, really.   :D

If I may add to your criteria; another exemple would be when the band records an entire different version of a song, most famous case being the Please single. An acoustic version (think EBW) would also fall in this category, I believe. Basically, I think we can put in the category of alternative mixes, anything in which the band was directly involved. Single edits (usually done for radio airplay) would also be considered alternative mixes.

On the other hand, a remix is found when a) another producer (ex. William Orbit for ES) independently remixes a song or b) when a professional DJ (ex.Paul Oakenfold with the Perfecto remixes) makes his own totally new take on a song, using official audio stems provided by the band, and adding various other elements.

Agreed?

Fully agreed !

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2021, 08:23:54 AM »
Here's a favorite of mine. According to the liner notes of the UF remaster, U2 toyed with the idea of releasing A Sort of Homecoming as a single.
At the time, Daniel Lanois had begun working with Peter Gabriel for what would become the "So" album.

This is Daniel and Peter's take at A Sort of Homecoming. I'm totally unable to say which one of this and the album version is my favorite. I absolutely love both. Love the acoustic guitar there, love the electric guitars on the other one...

riffraff

• We get to carry each other
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 08:29:32 AM »
Here's a favorite of mine. According to the liner notes of the UF remaster, U2 toyed with the idea of releasing A Sort of Homecoming as a single.
At the time, Daniel Lanois had begun working with Peter Gabriel for what would become the "So" album.

This is Daniel and Peter's take at A Sort of Homecoming. I'm totally unable to say which one of this and the album version is my favorite. I absolutely love both. Love the acoustic guitar there, love the electric guitars on the other one...

This is very nice...
You ask me to enter, but then you make me crawl

Pete the Chop

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 08:37:56 AM »
There are also official remixes, for which the band was involved recording extra vocals & music. I believe Lemon is an example.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Goodbye, you can keep this suit of lights
I'll be up with the sun
I'm not coming down

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 09:08:47 AM »
There are also official remixes, for which the band was involved recording extra vocals & music. I believe Lemon is an example.

I think it's better we leave remixes to the remixes thread. Wether the band was involved or not is pure speculation on our part, even if I agree with you, some remixes sound like that. But most remixes use vocal tracks that were not used for album/single version, so... it's highly speculative wether those vocal tracks are a left over or a true band involvement.

Pete the Chop

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2021, 09:54:38 AM »

I think it's better we leave remixes to the remixes thread. Wether the band was involved or not is pure speculation on our part, even if I agree with you, some remixes sound like that. But most remixes use vocal tracks that were not used for album/single version, so... it's highly speculative wether those vocal tracks are a left over or a true band involvement.
I agree. Most alternative vocal tracks are probably leftovers.

Goodbye, you can keep this suit of lights
I'll be up with the sun
I'm not coming down

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2021, 12:03:13 AM »
(Disclaimer: OL is a guilty pleasure of mine. So please, no fucking condescending comments. By calling it a guilty pleasure, itís pretty much implied itís not the best song ever recorded. Void where prohibited. Keep away from children. Your mileage may vary.)

Hereís my pick to illustrate how an alternative mix can bring a song to a higher level. The original OL is pretty bland, but the Extraordinary Mix is a game changer, IMHO. Listen below to see if you agree.

(Btw, the Extraordinary Mix is the only one they play on the SirriusXM station, very telling if you ask me)

First Chair. Last Call.

WookieeWarrior

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2021, 12:06:24 AM »
Someone has hurt this poor man... I'll never judge another U2 fan in my life, even for their love of Elevation or Boots.

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2021, 02:37:08 AM »
(Disclaimer: OL is a guilty pleasure of mine. So please, no fucking condescending comments. By calling it a guilty pleasure, itís pretty much implied itís not the best song ever recorded. Void where prohibited. Keep away from children. Your mileage may vary.)

Hereís my pick to illustrate how an alternative mix can bring a song to a higher level. The original OL is pretty bland, but the Extraordinary Mix is a game changer, IMHO. Listen below to see if you agree.

(Btw, the Extraordinary Mix is the only one they play on the SirriusXM station, very telling if you ask me)

It shows how indecisive the band can be.
Too bad because I think the song could have been a hit under different circumstances. Also works well live.