Getting to know an album

• 11 Replies

laoghaire

Getting to know an album
« on: February 25, 2021, 01:50:57 PM »
How do you work on a new album?

How many times does it take you to listen to an album enough to be familiar with it? Just an initial level of knowing it, I mean.

How long until you decide you like it or not?

Larry Lovebucket

• If you shouldn't, don't.
Re: Getting to know an album
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 02:28:15 PM »

How many times does it take you to listen to an album enough to be familiar with it? Just an initial level of knowing it, I mean.

I find the best albums are usually growers. If they're too immediate, there's nothing much to explore and I get bored of them. AB is a great example of this. I really wasn't sure about it at first but something kept bringing me back. Obviously the reverse can also be true. SOI was shit when I first heard it and it's still shit. There's usually a feeling I get with this though. The feeling of SOI was more jesus wept rather than the uncertainty I felt with AB.

Willy LoveBucket

THRILLHO

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 06:40:53 PM »
i can hear it once and know if i like it or not, easily. 3 or 4 times is when i can start to rank my favs.

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 07:16:41 PM »
It is usually pretty immediate to know whether want to continue and explore more or not.

Like or dislike usually takes a few listens.....

Love or hate follows a few listens later then for the albums i love I really get stuck in and the very best reveal more and more over time.

laoghaire

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 08:34:54 PM »
I'm going to do an experiment and see how this goes for me. I listened to one album yesterday that is highly regarded, and I really have nothing to say about it.

Going to see if 2 more listens over the next several days brings any clarity whatsoever.

I know I *should* like it. I find the process so exhausting. I wish I could he one of you guys who can listen to 1,000 freaking albums a year. I think it's something like a dyslexic reading books or something, I like music a lot but it's such hard work.

imaginary friend

• everyone's got a great album in them 💿
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 08:37:41 PM »

My answer to all your questions is that it's a bit different every time.
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻
pick a station anywhere   http://radio.garden/listen/magic-fm/82GNMn3f

add some fun to your life while learning about music:   https://codepen.io/jakealbaugh/full/qNrZyw

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 08:48:45 PM »
All my life, its always been immediate if I like or not.

If I like the album, it takes a few more listens to pick my favorite tunes.

If I REALLY love the album, I usually get obsessed with it and basically just listen to that album for a few weeks. Last time that happened was with A Slow Rush by Tame Impala.
First Chair. Last Call.

WookieeWarrior

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 11:33:48 PM »
I decide in one listen if something is worth sticking with. That's as specific as I can be, because I may like an album on first listen or even love it, but if it doesn't grab me initially, I won't bother. Highly regarded or classic albums are an exception; there's probably something wrong on my end if Station to Station doesn't register, for example.

laoghaire

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 09:37:16 AM »
Very few albums grab me on the first listen. Most songs sound boring and undifferentated to me.

Larry Lovebucket

• If you shouldn't, don't.
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 09:47:04 AM »
Very few albums grab me on the first listen. Most songs sound boring and undifferentated to me.

Its no wonder youre a u2 fan then.

Pride

• Silent sorrow in empty boats
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2021, 07:33:18 PM »

Same with me. I can hardly stand listening to an album for the first time; it usually takes 35 listens for me to start enjoying a song or album. The only song I can remember off the top of my head that I loved on first listen is Pantagruel's Nativity by Gentle Giant (still my favorite song by them), but even my favorite albums of all time each took a while to warm up to.
Heavy horses, move the land under me

Pete the Chop

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2021, 03:25:54 PM »
I don't listen to full albums anymore. If i want to familiarise myself with the songs of an album I listen to a song on repeat until i feel ready to go to the next. I usually realize it after the third listen if i don't like a song.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Goodbye, you can keep this suit of lights
I'll be up with the sun
I'm not coming down