Bono's voice

• 27 Replies

Larry Lovebucket

• If you shouldn't, don't.
Bono's voice
« on: February 17, 2021, 01:58:24 PM »
Which version of Bono's voice do you prefer, and why?

Personally, I prefer his voice as it is now; a more soulful, worn out affair. Although the tunes have gone rapidly downhill over the last 20 years I think U2 have a wonderful low key record and tour in them when bono isn't trying to be young anymore. Plus, I never really enjoyed him belting out the likes of Pride anyway.

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
Re: Bono's voice
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 02:07:27 PM »
this one's kind of a no brainer IMHO

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 02:10:10 PM »

Do you prefer the more bombastic side of U2, then?

laoghaire

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 02:12:42 PM »
In my book his peak was 1985-1993. 

I have the unpopular opinion that he had another, smaller peak around 360. I've heard power and skill in that era, of ciurse not every night (but I can also play you some bad nights from 1987 as well).

I believe there is still a voice left that is worthwhile, he just has to find it. It's not what it was, but it's still something. I dislike 13's chorus but the verses are lovely. Not sure if Landlady was autotuned, but "I'll never know" is very richly sung.

Shank Asu

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 02:12:59 PM »

i guess i do.  i think back then Bono could do both the bombastic and the stripped down vocals.  nice to have the option for both.  of course age does bring a a sound upon it's own.  but that isn't the sound i think of when i think of bono singing.

Shank Asu

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 02:13:33 PM »
anyone know if Bono still smokes?

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2021, 02:16:24 PM »
In my book his peak was 1985-1993. 

I have the unpopular opinion that he had another, smaller peak around 360. I've heard power and skill in that era, of ciurse not every night (but I can also play you some bad nights from 1987 as well).

I believe there is still a voice left that is worthwhile, he just has to find it. It's not what it was, but it's still something. I dislike 13's chorus but the verses are lovely. Not sure if Landlady was autotuned, but "I'll never know" is very richly sung.

I feel strongly The Little Things showcases the qualities of his voice now. I hear ya about ZOOTV but that was 25 years or so ago. I also partly agree about NLOTH - his voice on MOS is very good indeed, stadium singalong section notwithstanding.

Even so, his voice has changed and IMHO he should change with the times.

LoveBucket DeVille

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2021, 02:18:02 PM »
I reckon if Bono stopped yelping so much, stopped trying to sing in a register that he struggles and strains with and is clearly not comfortable with, and sang in a lower register in a more underststed way instead that he'd probably sound better.

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 02:19:13 PM »

i guess i do.  i think back then Bono could do both the bombastic and the stripped down vocals.  nice to have the option for both.  of course age does bring a a sound upon it's own.  but that isn't the sound i think of when i think of bono singing.

He could. But for contrast imagine, for example, Velvet Dress sung with the worn voice he now has. That would bring a tent to the trousers of even the hardest cynic.

LoveBucket DeVille

laoghaire

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2021, 02:33:20 PM »
The 1997 voice that sang Velvet Dress was perfect as it was.

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2021, 02:35:42 PM »
The 1997 voice that sang Velvet Dress was perfect as it was.

Itís a great song. Probably my favourite from POP. In fact that and Love is Blindness are in my top 10 U2 moments.

Shank Asu

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2021, 02:36:42 PM »
maybe now Bono's voice could pull off The Wanderer

This Dave

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2021, 02:37:41 PM »

He could. But for contrast imagine, for example, Velvet Dress sung with the worn voice he now has. That would bring a tent to the trousers of even the hardest cynic.

LoveBucket DeVille

I'm sorry, but based on what I saw from last time around, Bono doing Velvet Dress now would barely qualify as "sung". He'd just be talking the lyrics. 

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2021, 02:41:25 PM »

LoveBucket DeVille

I'm sorry, but based on what I saw from last time around, Bono doing Velvet Dress now would barely qualify as "sung". He'd just be talking the lyrics.

If you actually listen to the song heís way more capable of singing VD now than most of their other songs. In fact, some of it is almost spoken anyway.

laoghaire

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2021, 02:44:48 PM »
The Wanderer is an interesting idea. Not that he could ever match Cash's low register. So the song would be tuned up several notes probably the same as he did on the tribute.

But the more understated singing would be the interesting part.