Achtung Baby

• 26 Replies

Poncke

• ROT AMS AHM SAR DUB BER ROM MAD
Achtung Baby
« on: February 13, 2021, 10:49:13 AM »
Thank you Bono, Larry, Adam and Edge for this marvellous timeless genius gift to humanity. On repeat again after 30 years. Hope they do an anniversary tour of epic proportions.

Now, I wish you could pull of one more  album like this and then it is OK to quit. Just keep touring.

Please do not put out any more trash like SOI.

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 10:54:15 AM by Poncke »
The fly on the wall

Poncke

Re: Achtung Baby
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 10:51:09 AM »
In two recent interviews with Rolling Stone, both the Edge and Adam Clayton stated a desire to revisit the Zoo TV concept. Said the Edge: “We do want to celebrate it, but we’ll see…At some point, I’d love to do something again with the Zoo TV idea. It’s weird how it’s come around. It was very prescient.”

Adam Clayton stated: “We don’t revisit it in a spirit of nostalgia. We revisit it in a spirit to refresh and expand on. I think if it is your catalog, if it is your history, there’s nothing wrong with you going back into it and reinterpreting it in a different way for a different time.”

Please yes, yes, and fucking yes
The fly on the wall

WookieeWarrior

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 04:38:26 PM »
That "spirit to refresh and expand on" talk is just lip service. It's nice to think U2 would prepare a profound comment on the state of the world with a return to Zoo TV, but the reality is that if the band really had something to say, it would be manifested in another album.

Larry Lovebucket

• If you shouldn't, don't.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2021, 07:07:40 PM »
That "spirit to refresh and expand on" talk is just lip service. It's nice to think U2 would prepare a profound comment on the state of the world with a return to Zoo TV, but the reality is that if the band really had something to say, it would be manifested in another album.

THIS

Poncke

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 06:59:53 AM »
I wonder why you are even still fans, you seem to loathe everything they do :D
The fly on the wall

riffraff

• I feel like trash, you make me feel clean
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2021, 07:17:38 AM »
It does make you wonder, doesn't it?
I'm in the black, can't see or be seen

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 07:46:01 AM »

Yawn

riffraff

• I feel like trash, you make me feel clean
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 07:52:57 AM »

Yawn
Back atcha!  ;D
I'm in the black, can't see or be seen

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 09:38:24 AM »
At least they are trying to say something...

Failure is always an opportunity to learn something and adapt. I’m sure they can. I don’t know if that’s what they want.

One thing I’m sure of is that it’s not in past formulas that they’re going to find « relevancy ». By definition.
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 10:55:30 AM »
Maybe the Pandemic isnt ALL bad, if it keeps u2 from doing an anniversary tour, of AB. Nah, id rather continue to move forward, than look back again. Im of the opinion that the JT30th shows fell flat. I dont want to see that scenario happening again, with AB.
In the garden I was playing the tart
I kissed your lips and broke your heart
You
You were acting like it was the end of the world

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 11:52:57 AM »
Maybe the Pandemic isnt ALL bad, if it keeps u2 from doing an anniversary tour, of AB. Nah, id rather continue to move forward, than look back again. Im of the opinion that the JT30th shows fell flat. I dont want to see that scenario happening again, with AB.

I agree with this. AB/Zooropa and ZOOTV were the absolute pinnacle of their career. As Alec Baldwin said in The Cooler, 'you don't fuck with perfection'.

It's like going back to that first love in high school. It might have been a great shag at the time, but date him 30 years later and there's a little less lead in the pencil.

Leave ZOOTV in the past and move on.

LoveBouquet

WookieeWarrior

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2021, 04:09:28 PM »

I do my best not to be a passive consumer in an age of information.

WookieeWarrior

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2021, 04:10:50 PM »

I agree with this. AB/Zooropa and ZOOTV were the absolute pinnacle of their career. As Alec Baldwin said in The Cooler, 'you don't fuck with perfection'.

It's like going back to that first love in high school. It might have been a great shag at the time, but date him 30 years later and there's a little less lead in the pencil.

LoveBouquet

Shit, I watched The Cooler not less than a week ago. That's pretty crazy.

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2021, 04:15:43 PM »

LoveBouquet

Shit, I watched The Cooler not less than a week ago. That's pretty crazy.

It’s a great film!

LoveBouquet

Vox

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2021, 11:08:16 PM »
Man, oh, man, agreed...  thank you to this band for this glorious  album...  full of such a confident yet trepidatious sound... flippant sincerity...  insecure confidence...  hopeful anxiety...  and lyrics like mirror facing mirror, reflecting dark into light and back into itself again. 

But to think this band could even brush up against something a quarter of that album in the future?  Well...  truthfully...  what evidence would make any of us hold out hope they have something like a fraction of that ever again?

This was a band to make an album like War and follow it up with The Unforgettable Fire a year later.   A band that would challenge itself and its fans alike with every release...  A band that, let’s face it, always wanted to write a Top 40 tune...  but the Top 40 tunes they wrote were so far removed from the Top 40, they might have individually been novelty tunes if not for their consistency and fly-in-the-fuck-of-it confidence.

But that hasn’t been what this band has been about the last half of its existence...  (two decades ago).  Has it? 

The world has changed. The sound of the world has changed. And when they finally decided to try and wait up for what the rest world was, whatever they had that made them commercially and critically transcendent became lost.

And God bless them...  they’ve given me so much.  They’ve earned the right to do whatever it is that they want to do. 

But to expect some incredible new sound or deviation or something that makes me tingle beyond an odd bridge or occasional bubbly sound here and there?  I don’t think that’s in them anymore. I’d hoped this was the band that could still conjure up that feeling for 11 songs at any point of their choosing.  But that’s not what they’ve been about for as long as most people can legally drink. 

I don’t know...  it seems a lot of people on here lust for something from this band that it hasn’t done for the past 24 years, or a couple others who would shout for “Stairway” and piss during “Levee.”  None of this is rooted in what this band seemingly wants, or even has the ability or drive to do at this point.

I’d love them to prove me wrong. But I think it’s unfair, based on most everything I’ve seen, to assume they can or even want to do otherwise.

DISCLAIMER:  Vox and his subsidiaries loves and cherishes No Line on the Horizon in an abnormal and supernatural way.  Side effects include even being cool with getting on your boots and knowing that a singular, individual, isolated opinion is exclusively that, and loving that others find radiant joy in things Vox does not.