Opinions... and how to express them

• 21 Replies

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
Opinions... and how to express them
« on: January 31, 2021, 06:55:06 AM »
What if we tried to express opinions rather than make them pass as « the Truth » ?

I don’t like... rather than... this is shite

It’s my favorite... rather than... this is the best ever

At the very least, try and begin our sentences with IMO or IMHO...

Seriously, I’m growing tired of the « I’m right » « no, I’m right » going on at nauseam... which, IMO, is spoiling the fun for many forum members. I strongly believe a better choice of words would go a long way and people would still be able to believe whatever they want, confront ideas.
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
Re: Opinions... and how to express them
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 07:18:12 AM »
The thing is there is an unwritten law in forums that 99% of people happily accept and have no problem with...and that is that what you write is your opinion, and it does not need to be prefixed with IMO, 'i feel' etc....

A lot of people (i know i do often) do actually use those caveats just to be on safe side, but using them all the time is unnatural, reads awkwardly and is just not how people communicate freely.

As i say 99% of people are mentally switched on, balanced and reasoned enough to accept, appreciate and understand that what people are posting is their opinion and how they feel, it really should not be necessary for people to need to qualify that every time they want to make their thoughts known...

Where people choose to of course it can be useful, but essential? No, not for me....it just isn't a natural way of communicating and what is more (i have seen this elsewhere) you start to get the more anal members of the community 'pulling' people up when they don't bend over backwards to make it clear what they are saying is just their opinion.....and that then becomes toxic.

We are all adults on what prides itself as being a forum that really promotes free speech - 99% of people are more than capable of making that work without need for putting IMO in every post.

People are free to express themselves and their opinions and do so however they feel best - 99% of people have no problem doing so, no problem taking this as they are and no problem openly treating all opinions fairly and equally.

The overwhelming majority of people know the score and frankly the driving force of this issue being raised here now would not be helped by this anyway.

Of course if people feel it might help when communicating with some others or in some situations then people are of course free to do so, as i say you do see it anyway.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 07:28:01 AM by an tha »

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 08:31:07 AM »
The thing is there is an unwritten law in forums that 99% of people happily accept and have no problem with...and that is that what you write is your opinion, and it does not need to be prefixed with IMO, 'i feel' etc....

A lot of people (i know i do often) do actually use those caveats just to be on safe side, but using them all the time is unnatural, reads awkwardly and is just not how people communicate freely.

As i say 99% of people are mentally switched on, balanced and reasoned enough to accept, appreciate and understand that what people are posting is their opinion and how they feel, it really should not be necessary for people to need to qualify that every time they want to make their thoughts known...

Where people choose to of course it can be useful, but essential? No, not for me....it just isn't a natural way of communicating and what is more (i have seen this elsewhere) you start to get the more anal members of the community 'pulling' people up when they don't bend over backwards to make it clear what they are saying is just their opinion.....and that then becomes toxic.

We are all adults on what prides itself as being a forum that really promotes free speech - 99% of people are more than capable of making that work without need for putting IMO in every post.

People are free to express themselves and their opinions and do so however they feel best - 99% of people have no problem doing so, no problem taking this as they are and no problem openly treating all opinions fairly and equally.

The overwhelming majority of people know the score and frankly the driving force of this issue being raised here now would not be helped by this anyway.

Of course if people feel it might help when communicating with some others or in some situations then people are of course free to do so, as i say you do see it anyway.
Not sure the 99% feel too happy about bout today’s situation.

You might have noticed the recent resurgence of « positivity » threads, as a desperate attempt to make the forum more enjoyable for them... with mixed results.

This thread was another attempt to provide a ressource to help and round the angles.

an tha

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 08:56:37 AM »

Not sure the 99% feel too happy about bout today’s situation.

You might have noticed the recent resurgence of « positivity » threads, as a desperate attempt to make the forum more enjoyable for them... with mixed results.

This thread was another attempt to provide a ressource to help and round the angles.

The whole positive v negative debate is toxic and was a big factor in the demise of the old atu2 forum...instead of people just getting on with it and accepting differences exist, people pull each other apart about 'who is right'....when nobody is as it is all just opinions.

Mature, balanced, reasonable people can see that without the need for things like you mention.

It really isn't hard and frankly anyone who can't see it then maybe forums is not the best place for them.

There is room aplenty for all voices, all opinions and none are worth any more or less than any other.....the constant obsession and introspection with how people take what others say is more destructive to a forum than any opinion.

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 10:10:44 AM »
When mentioning music etc etc on forums/online, i always say that "for my taste".....then explain my feelings about the song. Very few times do i come out and diss something, unless its the likes of GOYB or American Soul and such like.
In the garden I was playing the tart
I kissed your lips and broke your heart
You
You were acting like it was the end of the world

an tha

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 10:14:10 AM »
When mentioning music etc etc on forums/online, i always say that "for my taste".....then explain my feelings about the song. Very few times do i come out and diss something, unless its the likes of GOYB or American Soul and such like.

I think loads of us do that...i often say 'for my money' or 'in my book'

But as i say the real issue here is not really about this for my money.....oh look!!

WookieeWarrior

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 03:09:13 AM »
When I'm reading a post I find it handy to look over to the right of the text. There's a little picture and nametag there to remind me that I'm reading others' opinions, so I don't have to piss my pants and swoon when I realize I'm not of the same thinking as the gospel before me.

Larry Lovebucket

• If you shouldn't, don't.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 05:00:32 AM »
I think the answer is very simple. If one reads a post they deem unnecessarily negative or rude or whatever then don’t engage with the poster. The only reason some threads get out of hand is because no one will let it go. And, in fairness, that applies to the ‘99%’, too as well as those they feel are ‘agitators’.

LoveBucket

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 06:57:53 AM »
Alternate title for this thread: Opinions... how to accept them and move on
First Chair. Last Call.

Larry Lovebucket

• If you shouldn't, don't.
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 07:03:20 AM »
Alternate title for this thread: Opinions... how to accept them and move on

Quite.

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2021, 08:32:15 AM »
One thing is for sure. I appreciate everyone's opinion, here. Thanks for the feedback  :)

(Yes, I'm working on "moving on" too  ;) as far as the 1% is concerned)

Codeguy

• In the shadows
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2021, 08:45:25 AM »
Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one, they all stink and once you’ve seen it, you lose all respect for the person

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-------

Too tall to be a despot

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2021, 03:06:40 AM »
Just moving on

Magnificence

• At the end of the storm there's a Golden Sky
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2021, 02:18:05 PM »
Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one, they all stink and once you’ve seen it, you lose all respect for the person

You know, you just shit all over yourself here. You might say they all stink, but to some people, they are a playground of pleasure.   
“I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee”
Hebrews 13:5

Codeguy

• In the shadows
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2021, 02:25:29 PM »

You know, you just shit all over yourself here. You might say they all stink, but to some people, they are a playground of pleasure.   

Fair enough. Not my thing but to each his own.
-------

Too tall to be a despot