TalkU2 Hall of Fame

• 7 Replies

laoghaire

TalkU2 Hall of Fame
« on: January 27, 2021, 12:54:18 PM »
Anyone can add notable posts, posts of the week, all time hall-of-famers, etc. here.

This one seems popular enough to start off.

But U2 is not looking to reapply for the "best band in the world" job anymore. Clayton quips, "we probably realized that that's a mantle that you can only have in your first 30 years. I'm not sure what we have now as we approach becoming elder statesmen."

“The wonderful power that you have when you're the same age as the audience and the people that listen to you is that you are one of them, and they are one of you, and you represent their voice.”

"The challenge as you become an elder statesman is to keep representing your audience's voice. And that's certainly the job that we take really seriously."

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/monday-dec-21-2020-adam-clayton-and-more-1.5849848/u2-s-adam-clayton-on-battling-addiction-and-the-unexpected-effects-sobriety-had-on-his-work-1.5854526

I'm not sure what "representing your audience's voice" means. I do think it could explain some of the problem these days though. We'd love to hear the band's true voice, if they weren't worried about representing anything other than the music they wanted to make.  The further they get into thinking that they're expected to make some sort of statement (See American Soul, GOOYOW, etc), the worse they get.

Nobody who loved U2 in the War era was clamoring for The Unforgettable Fire. Nobody who loved The Joshua Tree knew that they wanted to hear AB and Zooropa.  But thank god they weren't asking what the audience wanted back then.

this is the best post I have read here in a very, very long time.  agree an all points and stated much better then I ever could have.

Something I can agree on, Dave nailed it perfectly. Now if only the band would read it.

TOTALLY AGREE!

DAVE - this might be the first post on TalkU2 that I wish U2 would read!!!!!

laoghaire

Re: TalkU2 Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 01:55:06 PM »

Magnificence

• At the end of the storm there's a Golden Sky
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 02:09:59 PM »
i finally made it  :)
“I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee”
Hebrews 13:5

Magnificence

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 12:31:45 PM »
Having seen U2 in 1992 (twice) and in 2018, I am qualified to have an opinion on this.

NO.

i really did enjoy the show in 2018 and they did not phone it in.

The fact is, it's about Bono. The other lads were tight for E&I. And Bono sounded good! Hitting the notes nicely and everything, and he really did put himself into the performance.

But it's not a candle to the monster energy he beamed out to the crowd in his earlier years. You don't have to even like U2 to see what a force he was, both in terms of lungpower and also in terms of stagecraft. He was an A-bomb.

Perhaps he could step into Tony Bennett's shoes now.

PS: WGRYWH sucked in 1992.

I love this post, the bolded accurately described the fascination that initially drew me into U2

laoghaire

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 12:44:26 PM »
 :'( <wipes away single tear>

riffraff

• Dislocated, suffocated
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 01:11:57 PM »
Baby, don't cry...
No spoken words, just a scream

Magnificence

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2021, 01:32:40 PM »

Magnificence

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 12:23:21 PM »
Unknown Caller gets a lot of crap; I think it's one of the very best songs they've ever done. Just the way it builds from the atmospheric opening into the guitar riff and chanting is spectacular. I don't mind the tech speak really at all, though I'll admit it's not Bono's finest moment as a lyricist. And of course the guitar solo is excellent as the musical climax of the song. This song is a somewhat rare instance of U2 really focusing on the music instead of using it as a vehicle for the lyrics. I really wish they'd try another instrumental track, or at least some longer-form songs in the vein of UC, Moment of Surrender, Lemon, Zooropa, etc.