Clayton interview

• 55 Replies

The Edges Cat

Clayton interview
« on: January 26, 2021, 08:33:36 PM »
But U2 is not looking to reapply for the "best band in the world" job anymore. Clayton quips, "we probably realized that that's a mantle that you can only have in your first 30 years. I'm not sure what we have now as we approach becoming elder statesmen."

“The wonderful power that you have when you're the same age as the audience and the people that listen to you is that you are one of them, and they are one of you, and you represent their voice.”

"The challenge as you become an elder statesman is to keep representing your audience's voice. And that's certainly the job that we take really seriously."

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/monday-dec-21-2020-adam-clayton-and-more-1.5849848/u2-s-adam-clayton-on-battling-addiction-and-the-unexpected-effects-sobriety-had-on-his-work-1.5854526
The Edge: “[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ‘You know what? We’re not going to second-guess any of this. Let’s just go for it.’”

U2 Fans: We'd all love to see that, Edge.

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
Re: Clayton interview
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 08:50:21 PM »
Hey Cat! How’ve you been?

Things OK down under ?

I remember reading that interview during the holidays. Adam is always interesting.
First Chair. Last Call.

This Dave

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 10:47:00 PM »
But U2 is not looking to reapply for the "best band in the world" job anymore. Clayton quips, "we probably realized that that's a mantle that you can only have in your first 30 years. I'm not sure what we have now as we approach becoming elder statesmen."

“The wonderful power that you have when you're the same age as the audience and the people that listen to you is that you are one of them, and they are one of you, and you represent their voice.”

"The challenge as you become an elder statesman is to keep representing your audience's voice. And that's certainly the job that we take really seriously."

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/monday-dec-21-2020-adam-clayton-and-more-1.5849848/u2-s-adam-clayton-on-battling-addiction-and-the-unexpected-effects-sobriety-had-on-his-work-1.5854526

I'm not sure what "representing your audience's voice" means. I do think it could explain some of the problem these days though. We'd love to hear the band's true voice, if they weren't worried about representing anything other than the music they wanted to make.  The further they get into thinking that they're expected to make some sort of statement (See American Soul, GOOYOW, etc), the worse they get.

Nobody who loved U2 in the War era was clamoring for The Unforgettable Fire. Nobody who loved The Joshua Tree knew that they wanted to hear AB and Zooropa.  But thank god they weren't asking what the audience wanted back then.

laoghaire

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 10:53:53 PM »
I read it as him saying they are old geezers and they need to deal with the fact that their audience is old geezers and stop pretending they are going to be today's hottest band.

This Dave

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 11:03:07 PM »
I read it as him saying they are old geezers and they need to deal with the fact that their audience is old geezers and stop pretending they are going to be today's hottest band.

You know who today's hottest band is? Nobody. Bands don't matter anymore. Not like they did when U2 were young. Not even close.

This Dave

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 11:04:19 PM »

You know who today's hottest band is? Nobody. Bands don't matter anymore. Not like they did when U2 were young. Not even close.

On the plus side for U2, they pretty much held on to the Biggest Band In The World throne up until the throne evaporated. 

This Dave

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 11:24:30 PM »

Holy crap- watching that promo video for ATYCLB. I remember when it was new, watching it again and again on U2.com

"1979 was our first album....feels like we've been writing this record for 20 years" Wait a minute...it's been that long since the promo video came out until now. How the hell is that possible?

financeguy1

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 11:38:27 PM »

I'm not sure what "representing your audience's voice" means. I do think it could explain some of the problem these days though. We'd love to hear the band's true voice, if they weren't worried about representing anything other than the music they wanted to make.  The further they get into thinking that they're expected to make some sort of statement (See American Soul, GOOYOW, etc), the worse they get.

Nobody who loved U2 in the War era was clamoring for The Unforgettable Fire. Nobody who loved The Joshua Tree knew that they wanted to hear AB and Zooropa.  But thank god they weren't asking what the audience wanted back then.

Well indeed. All great bands in what Neil Tennant described as the 'imperial phase' aren't being led by market fucking research, like a donkey with a ring in its nose. They are carried aloft on the wings of their own ambition and desire. The audience merely tag along for the ride.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 11:40:23 PM by financeguy1 »

SlyDanner

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 11:54:57 PM »

this is the best post I have read here in a very, very long time.  agree an all points and stated much better then I ever could have.

WookieeWarrior

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 12:06:17 AM »
Thanks for the encouraging words again, Adam. Now go do as Bono says...

Larry Lovebucket

• If you shouldn't, don't.
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2021, 05:12:26 AM »
U2 have a proven track record of saying things that aren’t true. I’d take any interview with any of them with a bucketful of salt.

riffraff

• Dislocated, suffocated
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 06:18:36 AM »
Some, like Adam, are better at growing older than others.
No spoken words, just a scream

The Edges Cat

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 06:27:26 AM »
Thanks for the encouraging words again, Adam. Now go do as Bono says...

Clayton basically said they want to be relevant, it’s clear they all agree with each other.
The Edge: “[Eno] would love to see us making albums a bit more like [Zooropa]. Where we go, ‘You know what? We’re not going to second-guess any of this. Let’s just go for it.’”

The Edges Cat

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2021, 06:28:15 AM »

this is the best post I have read here in a very, very long time.  agree an all points and stated much better then I ever could have.

Something I can agree on, Dave nailed it perfectly. Now if only the band would read it.

Magnificence

• At the end of the storm there's a Golden Sky
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2021, 08:30:30 AM »

On the plus side for U2, they pretty much held on to the Biggest Band In The World throne up until the throne evaporated.

It's like that last episode of Game of Thrones where the dragon burned the castle into ashes

“I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee”
Hebrews 13:5