Female vocals on U2 records

• 59 Replies

Larry Lovebucket

• If you shouldn't, don't.
Female vocals on U2 records
« on: January 26, 2021, 05:51:56 AM »
I feel female vocals work very well. On The Troubles, a female vocal was the lead whereas on War, they were complimentary backing vocals. Both were highly successful, IMHO. I would like to hear more ladies on future U2 songs.

LoveBucket

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
Re: Female vocals on U2 records
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 06:08:19 AM »
I feel female vocals work very well. On The Troubles, a female vocal was the lead whereas on War, they were complimentary backing vocals. Both were highly successful, IMHO. I would like to hear more ladies on future U2 songs.

LoveBucket

Funny you mention this. Over the weekend, I heard A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel on the satellite radio an said to myself thatís something they should have done a little more often. I voted the 2nd option.
First Chair. Last Call.

riffraff

• I feel like trash, you make me feel clean
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 06:10:37 AM »
Just a little is just enough...works well, but sparingly.
I'm in the black, can't see or be seen

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 06:11:48 AM »

LoveBucket

Funny you mention this. Over the weekend, I heard A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel on the satellite radio an said to myself thatís something they should have done a little more often. I voted the 2nd option.

Indeed. And who could forget the backing vocals on Surrender. A song that is unquestionably one of their finest.

LoveBucket

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 06:25:03 AM »

LoveBucket

Indeed. And who could forget the backing vocals on Surrender. A song that is unquestionably one of their finest.

LoveBucket

A prime example, yes. The female backing vocals had a perfect layer to this underrated gem.
First Chair. Last Call.

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2021, 08:09:06 AM »
For the sake of comparison, The National released an album with maybe 50% of female guest vocalists on "I am easy to find". It works super well. I don't think it hurts the band. On paper I was a skeptic, but it works.

As for U2, they did it when they felt like it and it worked every time. "I'm not your baby" is a fine example. It's more of a duet but it works very well.
"A room at the heartbreak hotel" works really well, "Hawkmoon 269" too, the bit we've heard of "She's a mystery to me" seemed to work...

"The troubles" is U2 at their finest.

The Mary J Blige thing was a PR stunt and should be considered as such  :-X
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2021, 08:39:12 AM »
For the sake of comparison, The National released an album with maybe 50% of female guest vocalists on "I am easy to find". It works super well. I don't think it hurts the band. On paper I was a skeptic, but it works.

As for U2, they did it when they felt like it and it worked every time. "I'm not your baby" is a fine example. It's more of a duet but it works very well.
"A room at the heartbreak hotel" works really well, "Hawkmoon 269" too, the bit we've heard of "She's a mystery to me" seemed to work...

"The troubles" is U2 at their finest.

The Mary J Blige thing was a PR stunt and should be considered as such  :-X

I think U2 could do with a but more collaboration. But well thought out collaboration, not just getting in a flavour of the month producer or remixer or guest vocalist. I don't understand what motivates U2 anymore as all they seem to do is tread water, at best. They know they'll coin in the $$$'s from live performances and they're already rich beyond any reasonable measure, so why not be bold and brave!

LoveBucket

mariamontreal

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2021, 11:11:18 AM »
They do well just the 4 of them.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 11:58:43 AM by mariamontreal »
She moves in mysterious ways

Zoo adam

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2021, 11:43:43 AM »
U2 should get a female vocalisr and release their own 'Shiney Happy People' !

The female vocalist on that could certainly make me happy.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 11:47:29 AM by Zoo adam »

John Galt

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 12:23:32 PM »
It worked well on the Troubles and on a couple of R&H era tracks.  That's all!

Achtung Baby

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 01:02:12 PM »
It was minimal in both cases, but I'll add Pride (Christine Kerr/Chrissie Hynde) and Summer Of Love (Lady Gaga) as female, backing vocals.
We Get To Carry Each Other

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2021, 01:11:57 PM »
It was minimal in both cases, but I'll add Pride (Christine Kerr/Chrissie Hynde) and Summer Of Love (Lady Gaga) as female, backing vocals.

Pride has female backing vocals on it?

John Galt

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2021, 01:14:44 PM »

Oh yeah and don't forget Lizzie Jagger singing backing vocals on Stuck in a Moment.

Achtung Baby

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2021, 01:18:05 PM »

Yes.  The frontwoman of the Pretenders (she was married to Jim Kerr of Simple Minds at the time).  The ending of the song, perhaps?
We Get To Carry Each Other

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2021, 01:18:50 PM »

Yes.  The frontwoman of the Pretenders (she was married to Jim Kerr of Simple Minds at the time).  The ending of the song, perhaps?

Are you sure?