THE TREE HOUSE - a thread of worship only

• 21 Replies

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
THE TREE HOUSE - a thread of worship only
« on: January 24, 2021, 10:24:11 PM »
Im starting threads where specific albums can be revered. Kicking off with three tonight, more to come during the next weeks.

So, whats up with The Joshua Tree?

What makes it special?

Which are the best songs?

The best lyrics?

The best riffs?

The best b-sides and remixes?

Do you have special stories about the album?
First Chair. Last Call.

riffraff

• We get to carry each other
Re: THE TREE HOUSE - a thread of worship only
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 06:50:28 AM »
Saved my life. Isn't that enough?  :)
You ask me to enter, but then you make me crawl

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 07:29:26 AM »
I think that this record has so much depths and contrast that... if I had to pick just one record that I could listen to for the rest of life, it'd be this one.

Side A of the LP is probably the best LP side I can think of. There's no weak track. Every song is so different from one another that it's hardly the same band. Andyet, sonically it remains consistent.

Streets : One of Edge's legendary riffs. He brought the stratocaster to new territories with this song. Best live song of all times.
ISHF : Bono has never sung like this before of after. The song is out there.
WOWY : do I need to tell you ? The weirdest hit to come out of the 80's, with a sound signature instantly recognizable and a legendary bass line.
Bullet : the most badass tune. There are so many unbelievable live versions of this tune that I can't pick a favorite. 1987, 1989, 1992, 2001, 2015... all great.
RTSS : I sung this at the high school party concert. First thing in my life that I did where I didn't feel like a complete loser. As Riffie said, it saved my life.

And that's just side A.
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

acrobat62

• I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 09:58:34 AM »
This came out when I was living with my girlfriend, later to be my wife.  I heard the harmonica on TTYW, RTSS and thought, that gonna piss off a bunch of long time fans, not me though.  TJT tour was the first time for me to see them live at the Big O in Montreal, good times!!!  HAd jsut gotten a nice Nikon 35mm SLR, snuck it in under my jacket with a telephoto lens an got a few pics from up in the stands.

MPare1966

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 11:46:50 AM »
This came out when I was living with my girlfriend, later to be my wife.  I heard the harmonica on TTYW, RTSS and thought, that gonna piss off a bunch of long time fans, not me though.  TJT tour was the first time for me to see them live at the Big O in Montreal, good times!!!  HAd jsut gotten a nice Nikon 35mm SLR, snuck it in under my jacket with a telephoto lens an got a few pics from up in the stands.

I was there also.  :)
First Chair. Last Call.

acrobat62

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 11:53:12 AM »

Hey MP, where were you seated/standing?  We were to the left of the stage near the top of the stands, but fairly up close to the stage.  It was a bus tour from our local radio station.  We were in roughly the same location for PopMart too.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 11:56:26 AM by acrobat62 »

MPare1966

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 11:55:47 AM »

Hey MP, where were you seated/standing?  We were to the left of the stage near the top of the stands, but fairly up close to the stage.  It was a bus tour from our local radio station.

I was in the stands on the right, lower bowl. Or in the  300  as they used to call that level.
First Chair. Last Call.

acrobat62

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 11:59:14 AM »

Hey MP, where were you seated/standing?  We were to the left of the stage near the top of the stands, but fairly up close to the stage.  It was a bus tour from our local radio station.

I was in the stands on the right, lower bowl. Or in the 300 as they used to call that level.

We were definitely upper bowl, 400's on the left, for PopMart too.

riffraff

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 01:52:50 PM »
I am SO very jealous of those who attended the original tour!

Larry Lovebucket

• If you shouldn't, don't.
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 01:58:46 PM »

I was there at Wembley Stadium. Although this isn't my image it was pretty much the view I had

MPare1966

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2021, 02:05:37 PM »

I was there at Wembley Stadium. Although this isn't my image it was pretty much the view I had

Same view as I had.
First Chair. Last Call.

riffraff

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2021, 02:06:17 PM »
Green with envy...

acrobat62

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2021, 02:27:14 PM »

Same view as I had.

Me too, just from the opposite side and on the other side of the ocean.    ;D

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2021, 02:40:48 PM »
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

Zoo adam

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2021, 03:25:47 PM »

I was there for the Friday concert. My first concert.

Pitch was full up early on. Before the first support band came on, everyone surged forward. It was then several hours of madness.

One man looked at me early on & said 'he's not rucking'.Thought I better join in or go to the seats. Plus it was great fun. If you gonna ruck, Wembley Stadium is as good a place as any.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 03:30:57 PM by Zoo adam »