THE WAR ROOM - A thread of worship only

• 34 Replies

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
THE WAR ROOM - A thread of worship only
« on: January 24, 2021, 10:04:02 PM »
Iím starting threads where specific albums can be revered. Kicking off with three tonight, more to come during the next weeks.

So, whatís up with War?

What makes it special?

Which are the best songs?

The best lyrics?

The best riffs?

The best b-sides and remixes?

Do you have special stories about the album?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 10:22:37 PM by MPare1966 »
First Chair. Last Call.

imaginary friend

• 💉 💉 Pandemic Boogaloo
Re: THE WAR ROOM - A thread for
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 10:16:19 PM »
I don't know abou
(╯į□į)╯︵ ┻━┻

pick a station anywhere   http://radio.garden/listen/magic-fm/82GNMn3f

add some fun to your life while learning about music:   https://codepen.io/jakealbaugh/full/qNrZyw

Pride

• Alone in the light
Re: THE WAR ROOM - A thread of worship only
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 11:38:03 PM »
I was first introduced to Like a Song... around the age of seven. It's always been one of my favorites from the album and one of my favorite U2 songs overall. By around age ten or eleven I was listening to War every other day going to bed, alternating with October. I swear I probably listened to the album a hundred times through that school year and the following summer. But I still didn't notice until somewhat recently that the first lyrics in the song are "Like a song I have to sing" and not "Like a song I want to sing". The actual lyrics still sound wrong to me even though they probably make more sense.

Excellent album by the way. Top five. Surrender is a perfect song.
The world's my oyster soup kitchen floor wax museum

MPare1966

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2021, 11:56:22 PM »
I was first introduced to Like a Song... around the age of seven. It's always been one of my favorites from the album and one of my favorite U2 songs overall. By around age ten or eleven I was listening to War every other day going to bed, alternating with October. I swear I probably listened to the album a hundred times through that school year and the following summer. But I still didn't notice until somewhat recently that the first lyrics in the song are "Like a song I have to sing" and not "Like a song I want to sing". The actual lyrics still sound wrong to me even though they probably make more sense.

Excellent album by the way. Top five. Surrender is a perfect song.

My favorite above all.
First Chair. Last Call.

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 02:39:28 AM »
War was and still is a slap in the face. Itís a bold statement... about love !
In the era of the ę gated reverb Ľ snare drums, U2 went the opposite way and chose a dry sound. Suits the album just well.
I wasnít aware of U2 when it was released but New Yearís Day was printed in my brain (so much airplay !).
Itís only when U2 released With or Without You that I became aware of them. And when I realized that the same band had released NYD and WOWY it blew my mind.
Itís hard to realize when you werenít there but U2 were so different from most pop bands at the time... and of course the Red Rocks video just made it even clearer. Today itís easy to see U2 as one of many 80ís bands but at the time they really were out there.
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

Larry Lovebucket

• If you shouldn't, don't.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2021, 03:51:27 AM »
Drowning Man and Surrender are in my top 14 list of favourite u2 songs.

LoveBucket

MPare1966

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 04:37:23 AM »
In the era of the ę gated reverb Ľ snare drums, U2 went the opposite way and chose a dry sound. Suits the album just well.
I wasnít aware of U2 when it was released but New Yearís Day was printed in my brain (so much airplay !).
Itís only when U2 released With or Without You that I became aware of them. And when I realized that the same band had released NYD and WOWY it blew my mind.
Itís hard to realize when you werenít there but U2 were so different from most pop bands at the time... and of course the Red Rocks video just made it even clearer. Today itís easy to see U2 as one of many 80ís bands but at the time they really were out there.

Thatís exactly how it was, yes! They were completely different than their contemporaries. War blew everything up for me, it changed my perception and appreciation of rock music completely. That cathartic moment in my life still has remnants in me, because every single time SBS starts to play on the radio, I get goosebumps, it feels like for a brief moment, Iím transported to that time when I first heard it in 1983.
First Chair. Last Call.

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 05:01:35 AM »
In the era of the ę gated reverb Ľ snare drums, U2 went the opposite way and chose a dry sound. Suits the album just well.

Thatís exactly how it was, yes! They were completely different than their contemporaries. War blew everything up for me, it changed my perception and appreciation of rock music completely. That cathartic moment in my life still has remnants in me, because every single time SBS starts to play on the radio, I get goosebumps, it feels like for a brief moment, Iím transported to that time when I first heard it in 1983.

I am no fan of SBS but have a similar nostalgic feeling when I hear the studio version of NYD. I believe the 12Ē had an extended version, which I thoroughly enjoy.

LoveBucket

MPare1966

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 05:31:04 AM »

I am no fan of SBS but have a similar nostalgic feeling when I hear the studio version of NYD. I believe the 12Ē had an extended version, which I thoroughly enjoy.

LoveBucket

I believe youíre referring to this one

First Chair. Last Call.

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2021, 05:34:53 AM »

LoveBucket

I believe youíre referring to this one

Thatís the fellow. Thank you  :)

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2021, 05:42:00 AM »

LoveBucket
If youíre referring to the piano intro of the US remix of NYD... goosebumps forever.
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2021, 05:59:04 AM »

LoveBucket
If youíre referring to the piano intro of the US remix of NYD... goosebumps forever.

I think it had an extended vocal, too. Iíll check a bit later this morning.

LoveBucket

riffraff

• A presence I can feel.
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2021, 06:48:32 AM »
Drowning Man. Nothing else needs to be said.
Don't believe in riches, but you should see where I live.

acrobat62

• I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2021, 09:51:34 AM »
Was a Junior in college in northern New England when it came out.  The Canadian radio stations we listened to played Gloria, maybe Electric Co and IWF on occasion, but nothing that caught my ear until War came out and NYD as well as SBS hit the air waves, I was hooked, their first album I bought and I seemed to be an outlier with my friends since no one else seemed smitten.  To bad for them.  Oddly, I would not buy a copy of Boy or October until the remasters came out in the early 2000's

laoghaire

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2021, 04:40:24 PM »
Pride, I never interpreted that lyric as being "a song I don't want to sing but am forced to." I interpret it as "like the heat needs the sun" I need to sing, have to.