Are all the good tunes already made?

• 188 Replies

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
Are all the good tunes already made?
« on: January 22, 2021, 10:19:21 AM »
Do you think that all the best music that is likely ever to be made, is now behind us? I think it likely is. Very little music i hear these days, comes from a deep or meaningful place. The popular tunes are all about booty calls and what not. Its dire!!
Personally, i listen to a lot of new music every week. From upcoming young bands, but the music i hear isnt going to change the world, nor even make much of an impact. It is simmilar to most of the indie music in the uk during the 80s and 90s.
In the garden I was playing the tart
I kissed your lips and broke your heart
You
You were acting like it was the end of the world

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
Re: Are all the good tunes already made?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 10:30:25 AM »
It is easy to argue 'everything has been done'

It can be said and is said there are only so many sounds can get out of a guitar, only so many chords etc....

And after decades upon decades upon decades it is very hard to break new ground, very hard to not be seen as derivative.

There is of course still new music and still great music, it may not be to our tastes (especially as we get older and are less and less connected to the young and their world) but things will in this very different world and musical landscape evolve - as things have always done........

There may not be the big massively popular and massively covered movements of the past like Punk, New Wave etc....things are much more devolved now, and we may be living in a time where urban, or rap or whatever it is that is topping the charts is going to dominate for a long time.

But i bet in this different world, in a different way than we did with our physical records, gatefold sleeves and printed lyrics etc, that kids are still being moved by, moving to and influenced in everything from how they dress to how they walk and talk by the sounds of the day, and that will continue to be the case long after we are gone.

And the kids will mostly think (like we did) their stuff is better than the generations before and as they get old (like we do now) they'll argue all the best stuff is in the past....

« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 10:33:43 AM by an tha »

John Galt

• Free Britney
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 10:30:58 AM »
Do you think that all the best music that is likely ever to be made, is now behind us?

Yes.  The same goes for film and television as well.

SwimmingSorrows

• In a room full of martyrs, who gets the credit?
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 03:14:20 PM »
Definitely not.  As much great music being made now as ever, just have to look a little harder for it.

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 04:37:24 PM »
Do you think that all the best music that is likely ever to be made, is now behind us?

Yes.  The same goes for film and television as well.

No fucking way. That past 20 years have given us the best TV series ever.
First Chair. Last Call.

WookieeWarrior

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 06:39:38 PM »
Isn't this supposed to be the golden age of television? Every network and streaming service is putting its money into TV shows. They're less beholden to the preferences of advertisers now than ever before, too. Was the notion of prestige television in existence before twenty years ago?

Blockbuster films are certainly worse than they've ever been. With fewer people going to cinemas and it taking more to attract those who still do, the domination of superhero schlock and interminable sequels seems natural. I think this principle too applies to the radio; with so few listeners tuning in, how can you rationalize taking chances with taste-breaking programming?

But just as with film, there are impressive, invigorated works being put out by independent and small-label artists every day. And there's more of it. The democratization of the arts carries with it more crap, but hearing from artists we wouldn't have been able to twenty years ago is proof enough that "all the good tunes" have not yet been made. I will concur that the underfunding of noncommercial artistry is holding a lot of those great talents back, as with the death of the midbudget drama in cinema. People whose tastes are less responsive to "raw" or even underproduced works might perceive a total decline in the quality of contemporary art.

Really, those people aren't wrong. David Fincher is one of the great directors of our time. But to every The Social Network are ten Avengers, and he isn't releasing a film so often these days after spending some time in TV. I think Father John Misty is a great musician who fulfills that desire for well-promoted, studio-backed pop music that isn't so common anymore. But following each Father John Misty is a torrent of nontalent which receives greater attention. It's always been as such; our reverence for past music ignores the garbage it surpassed. In time, the same will happen where much of the zeitgeist will falter under reappraisal, some of it will retain critical acclaim, and a large proportion of what appears now ancillary will be bolstered in reputation.

Sometimes people ask where the next classics are. I don't know; it's impossible to determine this from the present. A piece of music is seldom thought unforgettable on first listen. What I know is that we will emerge from the past decade with an incredible assortment of indie and lo-fi rock. The hole which went unfilledóin the past home to dually artistic and commercial records with strong studio backingówill finds its pieces for critics to hail as lost classics.

imaginary friend

• right in front of your salad 🥗
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 06:56:27 PM »

No.
(╯į□į)╯︵ ┻━┻
pick a station anywhere   http://radio.garden/listen/magic-fm/82GNMn3f

add some fun to your life while learning about music:   https://codepen.io/jakealbaugh/full/qNrZyw

WookieeWarrior

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 07:04:53 PM »

No.

This as well.

restofit

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 07:25:08 PM »

No.

This as well.

I find the sentiment of this post preposterous.

It's typical boomer sentiment, my generation was best, now all music film television is crap, back then.. those were 'the good old days' etc..

Obviously, it's all tied to nostalgia which plays a big role.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 09:10:08 PM by restofit »

restofit

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 07:31:30 PM »
If you can't find good music it's because your not looking hard enough.

There's plenty of great stuff out there if you look in the right places.

It seems boomers are just used to having all their bands/artists spoon-fed to them through the mainstream.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 07:33:35 PM by restofit »

So Cruel

• It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 08:35:21 PM »
The main issue now is that popular music is tied to a formula and if you donít follow that formula and make it right away youíre pretty much done. Itís all about singles and downloads.

In the past a band was allowed to grow and doing 100ís of shows made them grow their skills. Now artists record on computer equipment and arenít out there playing gigs night after night after night. A band like u2 were allowed to put out a 2nd album like October and still be kept around to make the War album and get record company marketing behind it. They were allowed to grow and get better.

The Beatles started out playing clubs, then making pop singles, then making full masterpiece albums. The Stones the same. U2 played gigs, made 2 albums that didnít really go anywhere, and then hit on their 3rd. Springsteen had limited success on his first albums but played 100ís of shows and then wrote his 3rd album Born to Run. Moral of the story is artists need time to play shows, get better at their craft, and may stumble a bit out of the gate before they hit it. The game these days is focused on singles right out the gate and not making full albums and a record company sending you out on tour 11 months a year.

Jealousy, it's not what it's cracked up to be
Envy, gets you where you need to be

John Galt

• Free Britney
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2021, 12:54:01 AM »
The main issue now is that popular music is tied to a formula and if you donít follow that formula and make it right away youíre pretty much done. Itís all about singles and downloads.

In the past a band was allowed to grow and doing 100ís of shows made them grow their skills. Now artists record on computer equipment and arenít out there playing gigs night after night after night. A band like u2 were allowed to put out a 2nd album like October and still be kept around to make the War album and get record company marketing behind it. They were allowed to grow and get better.

The Beatles started out playing clubs, then making pop singles, then making full masterpiece albums. The Stones the same. U2 played gigs, made 2 albums that didnít really go anywhere, and then hit on their 3rd. Springsteen had limited success on his first albums but played 100ís of shows and then wrote his 3rd album Born to Run. Moral of the story is artists need time to play shows, get better at their craft, and may stumble a bit out of the gate before they hit it. The game these days is focused on singles right out the gate and not making full albums and a record company sending you out on tour 11 months a year.

All good points.  Good things sometimes take time.  For example, Sir Alex Ferguson was manager of Manchester United for five years before he won anything, these days he'd be gone after a season or two, or in the case of David Moyes, less than a season.

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2021, 09:38:25 AM »
So, to all those saying the best is not behind us, do tell me where all this life changing music is to be heard. Where are the modern day equivalents to the Beatles, Stones, Led Zepp, Pink Floyd, U2, REM, Prince etc etc? Give me some examples of modern day, cutting edge, life changing, ORIGINAL music?
And for the record, i hear lots of good music today, but not in the mainstream. But, it is nothing that hasnt been done before.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 09:58:26 AM by Smee »
In the garden I was playing the tart
I kissed your lips and broke your heart
You
You were acting like it was the end of the world

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2021, 10:27:57 AM »
So, to all those saying the best is not behind us, do tell me where all this life changing music is to be heard. Where are the modern day equivalents to the Beatles, Stones, Led Zepp, Pink Floyd, U2, REM, Prince etc etc? Give me some examples of modern day, cutting edge, life changing, ORIGINAL music?
And for the record, i hear lots of good music today, but not in the mainstream. But, it is nothing that hasnt been done before.

You seem a little confused in your argument here, Smee!

You say you want new original music that has not been done before...but also want the new Stones, Beatles, Led Zep etc....

The fact is that things are different and although it may not feel like it to us oldies the equivalent of those artists you name today for todays kids and this generation are whoever are top of the charts/selling the most records....

What you call 'life changing' was life changing for you and your life and people of your generation.....the music of today is not meant to be life changing to you or me....although of course we can and do and will still find stuff we like...but overall it is different stuff, for a different time really, for and crucially BY a different generation.

And if by equivalent to Stones et al you mean as 'big' and as prevalent in media etc then IMO nobody will ever be that big in same way again becuase of how much more devolved everything is now.

I take you back to my original post in this thread:

It is easy to argue 'everything has been done'

It can be said and is said there are only so many sounds can get out of a guitar, only so many chords etc....

And after decades upon decades upon decades it is very hard to break new ground, very hard to not be seen as derivative.

There is of course still new music and still great music, it may not be to our tastes (especially as we get older and are less and less connected to the young and their world) but things will in this very different world and musical landscape evolve - as things have always done........

There may not be the big massively popular and massively covered movements of the past like Punk, New Wave etc....things are much more devolved now, and we may be living in a time where urban, or rap or whatever it is that is topping the charts is going to dominate for a long time.

But i bet in this different world, in a different way than we did with our physical records, gatefold sleeves and printed lyrics etc, that kids are still being moved by, moving to and influenced in everything from how they dress to how they walk and talk by the sounds of the day, and that will continue to be the case long after we are gone.

And the kids will mostly think (like we did) their stuff is better than the generations before and as they get old (like we do now) they'll argue all the best stuff is in the past....
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 02:06:04 PM by an tha »

John Galt

• Free Britney
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2021, 11:38:38 AM »

You forgot about ABBA. 

We'll never see the like again whichever way the resident John Peels spin it.

We'll never see a TV show as great as the Sopranos ever again as well.