Love or hate for side 2

• 9 Replies

acrobat62

• I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
Love or hate for side 2
« on: January 21, 2021, 08:01:55 AM »
Today, the second side of an LP relevancy has all but disappeared.  First with CD's then digital downloads, streaming, Spotify et. al, there is very little worry or consideration for "side 2" any more.  However, for those that still hold close to the times of two side of an LP and still listen to vinyl, you will all know what I'm talking about.

Side 2 over the years has generally been given a bums rap, sometimes rightfully so.  For example, ATYCLB has a serious drop off on it's side two, but albums like Abby Road have a strong if not better side 2 imo.

What are you thoughts and examples of side two being true shite versus side 2 being as good as or better then side 1 for any artist or album.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 08:17:46 AM by acrobat62 »

John Galt

Re: Love or hate for side 2
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 08:13:49 AM »
Look at Side 2 of Achtung Baby.

riffraff

• Please stay a child somewhere in your heart
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 08:14:57 AM »
Look at Side 2 of Achtung Baby.
I do, sir, and quite often.  ;D
The end is not as fun as the start

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 09:21:27 AM »
Today, the second side of an LP relevancy has all but disappeared.  First with CD's then digital downloads, streaming, Spotify et. al, there is very little worry or consideration for "side 2" any more.  However, for those that still hold close to the times of two side of an LP and still listen to vinyl, you will all know what I'm talking about.

Side 2 over the years has generally been given a bums rap, sometimes rightfully so.  For example, ATYCLB has a serious drop off on it's side two, but albums like Abby Road have a strong if not better side 2 imo.

What are you thoughts and examples of side two being true shite versus side 2 being as good as or better then side 1 for any artist or album.

I agree. This is a trend. Most artists will put their most "potential hits" on side one, in that order and the fillers on side 2. Because you start streaming with side 1.

That said... many if not all albums released on vinyl now have 4 sides, not 2; so... I'm not even sure side 2 is still a thing.

I think that, generally, the album format is dead. Or soon to be.
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

WookieeWarrior

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 11:20:20 AM »
Yeah, I don't believe this is a new trend. The album as a whole may be suffering, but not side two disproportionately.

Side one has always benefited from having a group's "best" work, or at least a single or two that entices the listener to listen on. Naturally this often gave way to weaker material. Vinyl is also worn out more the closer the needle moves toward the center, so "better" tracks with greater production value start off a lot of albums.

Larry Lovebucket

• If you shouldn't, don't.
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 12:40:52 PM »
U2 have been fairly consistent quality wise with their side 2's, with the exception of ATYCLB. Admittedly the 'big singles' were always on side 1 but I never rated their 'big singles' anyway, for the most part.

Therefore I have love for side 2.

LoveBucket

financeguy1

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 01:55:22 PM »
It never held much meaning to me, as I mainly used CD's when listening to music. I would struggle to remember what U2 or Beatles songs were on side 1 or 2, though I am familiar with both groups.

Codeguy

• In the shadows
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 02:11:09 PM »
It's a dated concept, relying on the idea that there was a forced interaction on vinyl and cassette when you had to flip the sides. By the late 80's, CD's had taken over and there was no longer a reason to think in terms of side 1/side 2.

That having been said, overall I think U2's side 2's are better than their side 1's.

BOY: 2
October: 2
WAR: 1
UF: 1
JT: 1
R&H N/A
AB: 2
Zooropa: 1
POP: 2
ATYCLB: 2
HTDAAB: 2
NLOTH: 1
SOI: 2
SOE: 2
-------

Too tall to be a despot

laoghaire

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 02:20:31 PM »
A collection of songs will likely have a better side 1.

If it's an album, where it's a whole tory or experience, the hits might favor side 1, but the story continues.

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms. Side 1 has Money For Nothing and Walk of Life. But by the end of side 1, you've entered a different place. It's no longer daytime. The war has started and it lasts until the last thing you hear are the crickets outside the studio.

If it's an ALBUM, it holds up.

(Gotta grant some exceptions like The Wall, which eventually kind of falls apart, but holds up for a long while - and that's a double album).

acrobat62

• I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 02:26:16 PM »
How about other albums by other artists beside U2, love or hate side2?