Other artist/bands who've worked with as many great producers as U2?

• 44 Replies

restofit

I came across an article recently that summarized the most acclaimed (& at least most well-known) music producers to come out of the last 4 decades.

Producers that U2 have collaborated that were listed:

Rick Rubin
Steve Lillywhite
Martin Hannett
Daniel Lanios
Mark Flood
Brian Eno
Nigel Godrich
Danger Mouse

that's 8 of the 20 that were discussed. U2 have obviously had the opportunity to work with a great variety of producers thanks to their longevity, they've been around for over 40 years now.

But I'm struggling to think of other artists/bands that have collaborated with so many great producers over the full length of their career-span?

Are U2 masterful negotiators? Or did they ride a wave of considerably good timing & opportunity to get those key people on-board once their career was really taking-off?

The stars aligned considering the fact Flood was already part of the backroom staff in 1987 and U2 subsequently developed a relationship which enabled them to collaborate for the next 25 years after that.

I guess props to them for putting themselves out there as a young band & having the assertiveness & confidence to approach acclaimed producers such as Eno/Lanios in 1984 and lay-out their vision to them.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 05:23:00 AM by restofit »

financeguy1

Re: Other artist/bands who've worked with as many great producers as U2?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 07:10:33 AM »
Are U2 masterful negotiators? Or did they ride a wave of considerably good timing & opportunity to get those key people on-board once their career was really taking-off?

Combination of both. I think asking Eno to colloborate for UF was really the game changer. It was unexpected and not what anyone would have predicted from a band like U2 at that point. It made them a more interesting band than most of their contemporaries (like Simple Minds, for example, who in the early to mid 80s were probably as big as U2, at least in the UK, perhaps not in the US).

Even Neil Tennant of the Pet Shop Boys, who often slagged them off in interviews in the 1980s, acknowledged that they were musically adventurous and ambitious.

John Galt

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 08:02:46 AM »

Even Neil Tennant of the Pet Shop Boys, who often slagged them off in interviews in the 1980s, acknowledged that they were musically adventurous and ambitious.

Well he should know being a former assistant editor of Smash Hits.

imaginary friend

• it's a beautiful day
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 08:19:46 AM »
I came across an article recently that summarized the most acclaimed (& at least most well-known) music producers to come out of the last 4 decades.

Producers that U2 have collaborated that were listed:

Rick Rubin
Steve Lillywhite
Martin Hannett
Daniel Lanios
Mark Flood
Brian Eno
Nigel Godrich
Danger Mouse

that's 8 of the 20 that were discussed. U2 have obviously had the opportunity to work with a great variety of producers thanks to their longevity, they've been around for over 40 years now.

But I'm struggling to think of other artists/bands that have collaborated with so many great producers over the full length of their career-span?

The stars aligned considering the fact Flood was already part of the backroom staff in 1987 and U2 subsequently developed a relationship which enabled them to collaborate for the next 25 years after that.

I guess props to them for putting themselves out there as a young band & having the assertiveness & confidence to approach acclaimed producers such as Eno/Lanios in 1984 and lay-out their vision to them.

Good question. Maybe Madonna?

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 08:24:39 AM »
Interestingly, Radiohead managed to 'do a U2' with, for the most part, just one producer.

LoveBucket

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 08:31:56 AM »
I suppose if you drive producers to despair then there is a good chance you'll have gone through a lot of them down the years.

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 08:32:06 AM »

Combination of both. I think asking Eno to colloborate for UF was really the game changer. It was unexpected and not what anyone would have predicted from a band like U2 at that point. It made them a more interesting band than most of their contemporaries (like Simple Minds, for example, who in the early to mid 80s were probably as big as U2, at least in the UK, perhaps not in the US).

I believe that, at a time (most of the 90's, probably), most producers would have killed to work for/with U2. Not anymore, though.
A dangerous idea that almost makes sense...

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 08:34:01 AM »
Interestingly, Radiohead managed to 'do a U2' with, for the most part, just one producer.

LoveBucket

This.

It's not the matter of how many producers, which can be artificial, but getting the right one at the right time. Nigel Godrich is probably a part time member of the band, now. He's just not touring with them.

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 08:36:13 AM »
The constant change in producers is clearly one of U2's ways of trying to stay 'relevant'. I think that worked for a while.

LoveBucket

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 08:39:46 AM »

LoveBucket

This.

It's not the matter of how many producers, which can be artificial, but getting the right one at the right time. Nigel Godrich is probably a part time member of the band, now. He's just not touring with them.

Agreed.

Also, I think it would be fair to say Radiohead are far more capable musically than U2. So, when it came to a change of direction with say, KID A, they were more than capable of navigating it themselves. Which isn't to say U2 didn't do a grand job with, for example, TUF or AB but they appear to need a lot more outside help to reach their goals.

LoveBucket

Soloyan

• I'm not sleeping
    • GREG LEMOND FANS
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2021, 08:55:56 AM »

LoveBucket

This.

Agreed.

Also, I think it would be fair to say Radiohead are far more capable musically than U2. So, when it came to a change of direction with say, KID A, they were more than capable of navigating it themselves. Which isn't to say U2 didn't do a grand job with, for example, TUF or AB but they appear to need a lot more outside help to reach their goals.

LoveBucket

Radiohead's songwriting is super complex and yet very accessible. There are a few videos explaining that on youtube. It's really impressive. Plus Johnny Greenwood's scores are very abstract.

I think the Dessner brothers from The National are also very educated, musically speaking. Strong musical background that they use on side projects.

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 09:11:09 AM »

LoveBucket

This.

Agreed.

LoveBucket

Radiohead's songwriting is super complex and yet very accessible. There are a few videos explaining that on youtube. It's really impressive. Plus Johnny Greenwood's scores are very abstract.

I think the Dessner brothers from The National are also very educated, musically speaking. Strong musical background that they use on side projects.

Agreed about RH.

I never got into The National on account of the constant moaning from the singer, but I quite liked them musically.

LoveBucket

financeguy1

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2021, 01:31:30 PM »
It's true that Radiohead are collectively musically more talented than U2, but they do have one extra member.
Plus a lot of their stuff isn't as original as some of their hardcore fanbase seem to think. Some of it is actually quite derivative, as much as is U2's, and I like both bands. The advantage Radiohead have is that many of the artists they use as influences are quite obscure. It's not like U2 with a track like Hold Me Thrill Me, where it's an obvious T-Rex rip-off. I mean, anyone even vaguely familar with 70s glamrock would recognise it straight away.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 01:43:05 PM by financeguy1 »

John Galt

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2021, 01:32:32 PM »
I'm not a Radiohead fan but I thought their last Glasto performances was great.

Larry Lovebucket

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2021, 01:34:03 PM »
I'm not a Radiohead fan but I thought their last Glasto performances was great.

Similarly with me and the Stones.

LoveBucket