U2 & St Francis Hotel, I'm sure you've all heard the remixes.

• 12 Replies

restofit

U2 & St Francis Hotel, I'm sure you've all heard the remixes.
« on: January 12, 2021, 05:01:06 AM »
Here's something interesting I learnt today..

U2's longstanding engineer & mixer (with production or performing credits on 80% of NLOTH & SOI) for the last 11 years (Declan Gaffney) is 1/2 of the Irish group called 'St Francis Hotel'? The other half is The Clash guitarist Mick Jones.

Strangely, I did not know this until today. I had heard of St Francis Hotel before as they had done a few remixes for U2 such as One Tree Hill & more recently New Years Day live from Berlin 2018, but I had no idea that Gaffney was involved with them.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 05:23:12 AM by restofit »

restofit

Re: U2 & St Francis Hotel, I'm sure you've all heard the remixes.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 05:11:24 AM »
This is possibly my favourite track from them at the moment:

« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 05:21:07 AM by restofit »

restofit

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 05:15:08 AM »
I also thoroughly enjoyed the New Year's Day remix they did (which is pretty unusual, as I'm not one to listen to U2 remixes often.)

« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 05:22:35 AM by restofit »

MPare1966

• Trying to throw my arms around the world
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2021, 06:28:32 AM »
Right about Declan Gaffney, but not Mick Jones. The other member is producer Barry Gorey. But they are very discreet about their identity it appears.

Declan Gaffney is also responsible for the « Fish Out of Water » remixes, along with Matt Paul.
First Chair. Last Call.

restofit

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 07:04:31 PM »
Right about Declan Gaffney, but not Mick Jones. The other member is producer Barry Gorey. But they are very discreet about their identity it appears.

Declan Gaffney is also responsible for the « Fish Out of Water » remixes, along with Matt Paul.

Yeah & if I recall correctly, didn't he produce all of the revised unreleased material on the 2011 AB deluxe edition? Like Blow Your House Down, Oh Berlin, Salome etc..
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 07:10:36 PM by restofit »

restofit

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 07:05:51 PM »

You're right. It appears Mick Jones collaborated on this track for their last album, but he's not actually a full-time member.

It sounds to me like Mick Jones put together the ambient guitar piece towards the end.

It has that kind of "Just Like Heaven" tonal vibe in a way.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 07:19:39 PM by restofit »

restofit

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 07:46:48 PM »
Well well.. the plot only thickens MPARE, turns out not only does Gaffney have a major association with U2 but this Barry Gorey fella has much to do with them too.. after looking over his linkedin profile:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/barry-gorey/

Live Music Production
Company NameU2 2017 Joshua Tree world tour & 2018 Songs of Experience + Innocence world tour. Freelance
Dates EmployedMay 2016 – Nov 2018
Employment Duration2 yrs 7 mos
LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Worked directly with the band, and their creative team, to produce and rework original U2 material for the Joshua Tree tour (2017 highest-grossing tour globally with 51 shows) and the 2018 Songs of Experience + Innocence tour (60 shows North America & Europe).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 07:48:55 PM by restofit »

MPare1966

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 07:48:29 PM »

Declan Gaffney is also responsible for the « Fish Out of Water » remixes, along with Matt Paul.

Yeah & if I recall correctly, didn't he produce all of the unreleased stuff on the AB deluxe edition? Like Blow Your House Down, Oh Berlin, Salome etc..

Not all, but some it was him.

Fun fact: both guys from St Francis Hotel play instruments on Ordinary Love.

Ordinary Love:
Music by U2 & Brian Burton. Lyrics by Bono. Produced by Danger Mouse. Additional production by Declan Gaffney. Mixed by Tom Elmhirst and Danger Mouse. Assisted by Ben Baptie. Recorded by Declan Gaffney. Assisted by “Classy” Joe Visciano. Additional recording by Grant Ransom, Ben Baptie and Barry Gorey. Wurlitzer and Synth by Barry Gorey. Additional Synths and Piano by Declan Gaffney and Brian Burton. Backing vocals by The Edge and Larry Mullen Jr. Additional backing vocals by Angel Deradoorian. Mixed at Electric Lady Studios, New York

Makes sense, as they are part of the Danger Mouse extended family.
First Chair. Last Call.

MPare1966

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 07:51:40 PM »
Well well.. the plot only thickens MPARE, turns out not only does Gaffney have a major association with U2 but this Barry Gorey fella has much to do with them too.. after looking over his linkedin profile:

Live Music Production
Company NameU2 2017 Joshua Tree world tour & 2018 Songs of Experience + Innocence world tour. Freelance

Worked directly with the band, and their creative team, to produce and rework original U2 material for the Joshua Tree tour (2017 highest-grossing tour globally with 51 shows) and the 2018 Songs of Experience + Innocence tour (60 shows North America & Europe).

Yep. But it’s really Gaffney who’s more involved. Look at the credits

https://www.discogs.com/artist/948667-Declan-Gaffney?page=1

https://www.discogs.com/artist/3566264-Barry-Gorey
First Chair. Last Call.

restofit

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2021, 08:09:37 PM »

Live Music Production

Yep. But it’s really Gaffney who’s more involved. Look at the credits

https://www.discogs.com/artist/948667-Declan-Gaffney?page=1

https://www.discogs.com/artist/3566264-Barry-Gorey

Did you know the Gotham Experience HMTMKM remix was done by them too?

List of all U2 stuff done with St Francis Hotel (Declan Gaffney & Barry Gorey):

U2 ‘The Europa EP’ live E+I 2018

LIAWHL/New Years Day remix 2018

Gotham Experience HMTMKM remix

One Tree Hill remix JT delux 2017

Ordinary Love (soundtrack version)

« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 08:11:20 PM by restofit »

restofit

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2021, 08:20:57 PM »

How so? The only connection I'm aware of is the fact St Francis Hotel have previously released music under the record company owned & established by Danger Mouse himself (30th Century Records).

MPare1966

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2021, 08:42:42 PM »

How so? The only connection I'm aware of is the fact St Francis Hotel have previously released music under the record company owned & established by Danger Mouse himself (30th Century Records).

Pardon my French, bad choice of words.

I meant to say that Declan often worked with DM on U2 stuff. Maybe he’s a protégé of his?

First Chair. Last Call.

restofit

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2021, 10:53:42 PM »

Pardon my French, bad choice of words.

I meant to say that Declan often worked with DM on U2 stuff. Maybe he’s a protégé of his?

thought you meant they worked together often as collaborators, as if implying they were proper associates.

Outside of U2, Gaffney & Burton have only worked together on one project (that was Adele's 3rd album '25'). It's just a single track called 'River Lea'.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 10:57:20 PM by restofit »