New Order's 'Crystal' vs U2's 'Do You Feel Loved'

• 9 Replies

restofit

New Order's 'Crystal' vs U2's 'Do You Feel Loved'
« on: January 05, 2021, 04:19:29 AM »

I wanted to compare these two songs as they're linked through Steve Osbourne's distinctive production sound & they are 2 really unique, alternative dance-rock tracks for their time. 

They both have similar aesthetic, energetic fast-moving, driving bass & dance-rock orientated. Similar mixing, as well as 'Do You Feel Loved' being the only U2 track with Steve Osbourne as the main producer credit, so it only works to compare it with 'Crystal'. Both tracks have some heavy Steve Osbourne fingerprints.

'Do You Feel Loved' should've been the band's 2nd single released after Discotheque, co-inciding with POP's release in March of 1997. I think it really grounds the personality of the album (electronic, cheeky, yet sincere, up-tempo, but melancholy at its core). Loved the compressed mix, sounded very ahead of its time. Rockin' bassline, Noisy layered shrieking guitars - What's not to love??

'Crystal' was released on 13th August of 2001 as the first single from New Order's seventh album 'Get Ready'. It was among the band's fastest & most guitar-orientated singles. NME said 'Crystal' is the sound of a big New Order comeback single moodily paced, growling metallic guitars & backing singers. Fantastic driving bass 'hook' from peter 'hook'. Just an incredible track all-round.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 09:04:48 PM by restofit »

laoghaire

Re: New Order's 'Crystal' vs U2's 'Do You Feel Loved'
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 11:08:10 AM »
Gonna give these back to back listens later. But also wanted to express my strong interest in future posts like these.

Smee

• Howdy. Im Snoopy
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 11:10:02 AM »
Im gonna sit on the fence with this one. Two great tracks!
In the garden I was playing the tart
I kissed your lips and broke your heart
You
You were acting like it was the end of the world

Shank Asu

• can't fight for sh-- but sure can take a beating
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 03:39:29 PM »
I pick Crystal.  I've been on a New Order kick the past few months. i'd only ever owned a greatest hits album of theirs that was released in the 90's but have picked up a few of their studio albums on vinyl lately and loving nearly all i've heard.
I think there's a strong argument to be made that Joy Division/New Order are one of greatest bands with an amazing legacy spanning six decades.

restofit

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 09:00:31 PM »
I pick Crystal.  I've been on a New Order kick the past few months. i'd only ever owned a greatest hits album of theirs that was released in the 90's but have picked up a few of their studio albums on vinyl lately and loving nearly all i've heard.
I think there's a strong argument to be made that Joy Division/New Order are one of greatest bands with an amazing legacy spanning six decades.

Completely agree with you there.

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 07:42:42 AM »
Joy Division were absolutely immense.

I never got same feel for New Order personally - although they have sone good stuff of course.

Just go and sit and listen to 'Closer' by Joy Division and then tell me they weren't something incredible and it isn't one of the greatest albums ever made.....go on I dare you!!

an tha

• And you can swallow, or you can spit....
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 07:45:01 AM »
Of these two DYFL gets my vote.

It is dirtier, cooler and has more swagger.

Larry Lovebucket

• If you shouldn't, don't.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 05:17:58 PM »
Gonna give these back to back listens later. But also wanted to express my strong interest in future posts like these.

I started doing these kinds of posts months ago but was run out of town, no thanks to a certain forum member.

LoveBucket

Magnificence

• At the end of the storm there's a Golden Sky
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 05:24:01 PM »

reposting video because original does not work

He was in the world, and the world was made by Him, and the world knew Him not.

John 1:10

Magnificence

• At the end of the storm there's a Golden Sky
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 05:28:21 PM »
Crystal is a good song, but it sounds very familiar for New Order

not saying that is a bad thing, but

Do you fellatio Loved is quit a departure for the once great & mighty U2, even in an era when Departure was kind of their thing

gonna go with u2 on this one
He was in the world, and the world was made by Him, and the world knew Him not.

John 1:10